Author Topic: They don't plow the streets here  (Read 464 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
They don't plow the streets here
« on: January 15, 2022, 07:28:29 AM »
I got to explain that to a neighbor.

"Well, yeah, they need to, but that's the City government. They do other things with that money."

Open their eyes, one pair at a time.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: They don't plow the streets here
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 08:28:36 AM »
I expect no snow plowing where I live in the sticks. They  have only plowed the county road in front of my house once since I've been here. They are good about dropping sand at intersections and bridges though when things get icy.

What was interesting is that while watching the local weather during the last snowstorm, the weatherman put out the statistic that 85% of the roads in the cities here are NOT plowed. I'm assuming that's all neighborhoods and other minor side streets, but that was a surprising number. It could be because this part of Idaho doesn't get a lot of snow, so it's not worth it. They might do more plowing up North in the panhandle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 01:27:13 PM »
Almost worse when they do. My closest real town has very steep streets. They halfway plow and leave the rest to get packed into car lined luge runs.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 02:09:29 PM »
I got to explain that to a neighbor.

"Well, yeah, they need to, but that's the City government. They do other things with that money."

Open their eyes, one pair at a time.
Sounds like Chicago when I lived there.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 04:01:02 PM »
I don't think the county or city have snow plows or anything of the kind here.  They would be a pile of rust from lack of use if they had one.  Mosquito spray trucks/planes are much more important. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 05:37:02 PM »
I don't think the county or city have snow plows or anything of the kind here.  They would be a pile of rust from lack of use if they had one.  Mosquito spray trucks/planes are much more important.

You're in Harris County Texas, right?  (in or near Houston)  They have road graders, those will work for the kinds of snows you get every 20 years or so. =) (actually, more like a 100 year snow that would need to plow anything)

When I lived just north of Dallas, we'd get ice storms occasionally but never any appreciable snow.  People didn't know how to drive on icy streets.  I was driving a rusty old Chevy 3/4 ton truck at the time that looked like there was no way I'd have insurance (I did have insurance.)  The traffic parted like the Red Sea when I was coming.  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."