Author Topic: A question for the revolver carriers and additional ammo  (Read 1492 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
A question for the revolver carriers and additional ammo
« on: January 13, 2022, 05:48:49 PM »
For those of us who carry a revolver as an EDC or BUG: do you carry additional ammunition?  If so, how much and how do you carry it? 

When I carry one of my Ruger or Taurus revolvers concealed, I also drop into my pocket a MTM ammo wallet with six additional rounds.  On very rare occasions, and I cannot explain why I choose one over the other, I swap out the ammo wallet for the appropriate HKS speedloader, carried loose in the pocket.  When I am doing woods carry, I use a 12 round MTM ammo wallet.

Of late, I have been reading some material that casts doubt on the value of the typical armed citizen with a revolver carrying a reload.  In the opinion of some, the situations requiring a reload and being able to do so rapidly are exceedingly few and far between.  Bear in mind that I am a middle-aged healthcare executive who generally does not hang around with Stupid People doing Stupid Things in Stupid Places at Stupid Times.  What says the Collective about a revolver reload?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: A question for the revolver carriers and additional ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:27:52 PM »
When I carry a revolver it is usually a S&W 642 and I carry two sets of reloads on a speed strip in my rear pocket. When I carry my 610 I carry two spare reloads on a moon clip holder on my belt on the weak side. So yes, I carry reloads with my revolvers.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 06:38:09 PM »
For those of us who carry a revolver as an EDC or BUG: do you carry additional ammunition?   

Yes.

If so, how much and how do you carry it?

If so, a speedloader or two in my back pocket, or a speed strip there, or in a pouch on the belt.  Depends.

S&W J or Taurus 605, Safariland 5 shot Comp whatever.  The Taurus 856, the 6 shot Safariland.  Ruger LCR, an "Ammo pod" thing.  Will find a link later.  (Revision CV ammo pod).  The Safarilands don't, alas, work with the LCR.

Charter Bulldog, some speed strips.  (Bianchi has .44 speed strips now.)  I have an HKS twisty loader for it.  I just don't know where it is right now.

How much?  5 to fifteen rounds.

When I carry one of my Ruger or Taurus revolvers concealed, I also drop into my pocket a MTM ammo wallet with six additional rounds.  On very rare occasions, and I cannot explain why I choose one over the other, I swap out the ammo wallet for the appropriate HKS speedloader, carried loose in the pocket.  When I am doing woods carry, I use a 12 round MTM ammo wallet.

Of late, I have been reading some material that casts doubt on the value of the typical armed citizen with a revolver carrying a reload. 

Yeah, probably.  The what-ifs involving multiple opponents do not (right now, for me) outweigh the advantage (I perceive) of a small revolver.

In the opinion of some, the situations requiring a reload and being able to do so rapidly are exceedingly few and far between.  Bear in mind that I am a middle-aged healthcare executive computer tech who generally does not hang around with Stupid People doing Stupid Things in Stupid Places at Stupid Times.  What says the Collective about a revolver reload?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 07:39:05 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 06:39:52 PM »
If I'm carrying my S&W 642 or S&W 60 I've got a couple of speed strips in the off side pocket.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 06:46:19 PM »
The only wheelgun I ever carried for social work was a Brazilian 1917 .45 ACP. I used a single speed-loader pouch with two full moon clips stacked inside for a total of 18 rounds on my person.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 06:48:21 PM »
A view from a non-revolver guy:

In the civilian "gunfight" world reloads that matter are exceedingly rare.  One of the gun-tubers that tracks that stuff says he knows of only 1 case where the reload mattered.  I forget which gun-tuber it was; maybe Jeff Gonzales or Kyle Lamb.

Anyway, if you don't actively practice reloads from your speed strip or speed loader, what is the point of carrying one?  Reloading from a speed strip is really slow.  Glacially slow.  The speed loader is much quicker by comparison, but not that quick unless your name is Jerry Miculek.

So, if you think you wll have a need to reload your six-shooter, carry something with more ammo.  There are a ton a small semi-autos that hold 10+ rounds.  My compact Sig P365 holds 12 and it is the size of a J-frame.

I no longer carry a spare mag for my semi-autos.  I prefer to carry a small package (That's what she said!) that hides well but still holds 10+ rounds.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 06:49:02 PM »
Every revolver I have from five-shot to seven-shot, has at least two speedloaders with it.

I now only carry, like another here, a J-Frame with a speedloader in my pocket and one in my belly pack, which contains checkbook, first aid stuff, cell phone, etc, but is  left in the car 99% of the time.

Terry, 230RN

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 06:58:41 PM »
A view from a non-revolver guy:

In the civilian "gunfight" world reloads that matter are exceedingly rare.  One of the gun-tubers that tracks that stuff says he knows of only 1 case where the reload mattered.  I forget which gun-tuber it was; maybe Jeff Gonzales or Kyle Lamb.

What's his name, John Corrreia, the Active Self Protection channel guy. 

Anyway, if you don't actively practice reloads from your speed strip or speed loader, what is the point of carrying one?  Reloading from a speed strip is really slow.  Glacially slow.  The speed loader is much quicker by comparison, but not that quick unless your name is Jerry Miculek.

So, if you think you wll have a need to reload your six-shooter, carry something with more ammo.  There are a ton a small semi-autos that hold 10+ rounds.  My compact Sig P365 holds 12 and it is the size of a J-frame.

I no longer carry a spare mag for my semi-autos.  I prefer to carry a small package (That's what she said!) that hides well but still holds 10+ rounds.

General principles.  Would rather have a loaded gun than an empty one.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 07:16:18 PM »
Might be Correia.  I haven't watched him in a while.

General principles.  Would rather have a loaded gun than an empty one.

Good reason.  Much better than, "I need more ammo for more bad guys."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 07:20:05 PM »
When I carry one of my 5-shot revolvers, I have a speed strip in my strong side rear pocket.  The strip can hold six rounds but I only load five to leave more room to grasp the strip.  I know the odds of needing to reload are slim to none but, for many of us, the whole CCW decision is already based more on consequences than probabilities.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 08:03:59 PM »
When I carried a Smith 340SC I normally carried one speed strip. Rarely a Speed Loader. Sometimes when I really need to be incognito I carry a NAA so talk about glacial reloads. With a Semi that holds more than 8 or so rounds I sometimes don’t even carry a reload. I know it isn’t best practice, but I’m never going to purposely engage in a gunfight and not be trying to extricate myself. I can only carry so much in my pockets or on my belt and not print or look like Batman.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 08:42:43 PM »
So, if you think you wll have a need to reload your six-shooter, carry something with more ammo. 
This.

I own three revolvers, and used to carry a J frame - usually as a backup to a 1911. I sometimes carried spare mags for the 1911 but I didn’t regularly carry extra rounds for the revolver.  I don’t think I even own a speed loader, speed strip, cartridge wallet or anything.

If a revolver were my only gun - or my primary - then I would probably want it to be more flexible, including wanting a way to carry more ammo.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 09:46:00 PM »
If it is my infamous 642 in my pocket no reloading except if I am not dead I start getting all stabby. Lately become more anti social somehow so carrying a 325. Full moonclips are the answer to portable ammo. I just toss a few in my pocket. I am pretty quick on those.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 09:52:07 PM »
My 642 is my reload for my G43...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 09:55:38 PM »
An empty gun is a poor club.

I carry an Officer's size 1911, capacity 6+1. I carry an extra magazine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 10:05:14 PM »
I used to carry a .38 Special revolver.  (now I don't carry anything; I really should renew my license)  I carried a speed strip or two.  That was to reload after the gunfight was over (if I was still standing) in case it wasn't really over.  The bad guy might have friends just around the corner.  Reloading in the midst of a gunfight wasn't likely to happen.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 10:13:03 PM »
An empty gun is a poor club.
My Ruger SP-101 and Security Six snubbies want you to know they make excellent clubs. The LCR, not so much.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 10:27:45 PM »
Same as most of the rest.  S&W 638 and a speed strip for my day to day.  On a day where I want more,  it's the same gun in a pocket and a G19 with reloads.  I don't go out of my way to diverse areas so the J frame and a speed strip have always seems like plenty of gun.

In the current day i've felt better about having a nasty can of OC as a force multiplier.  tayquon' / ladariujus/ whatever hoodrat name you please,  If I have enough warning they're getting nuked with non lethal.  Even if the situation called for lead,  If I can get away with spicy air I will.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 11:06:57 PM »
Taurus 617 7 shot .357 with a spare speedloader oh the hip. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 11:45:31 PM »
 i carry a 642, based largely on that ancient thread "the 642 club" from the ancient thr
 Totally forgotten what i was told tho.  :rofl:
 currently, my threat level is very low, i do not even have a proper ccw permit ( plan on changing that before summer )
i carry going to the car and it is in the car most of the time. I often, but not always, carry 15 loose rounds in my front right pocket ... once i get my ccw permit back i will be carrying speed loaders .
when the threat level is higher, i carry a glock 22 in a bianchi retention holster plus two mags in the same configuration i did during armed security days and cab driving
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 03:26:15 AM »
I carry 2 speedloaders

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 07:32:01 AM »
My primary CCW is a Smith & Wesson 042 Centennial in a pocket holster (separate thread on that).

I generally do not carry additional ammunition, but when I do it's usually 5 rounds in a Bianchi speed strip.

I also have several speed loaders for my various J frames but I've not carried those in quite a few years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »
I mostly carry a 637 S&W owb with .38 +p. I don't carry any reloads because my pockets are already full of other crap. If I go venturing off into the woods, I carry a m-66 S&W owb with .357 mag and a couple speed loaders on my weak side or in the pocket of my jacket if it's cooler out. I carry extra because the odds are I'm hunting (I do hunt with a handgun at times) and the odds are greater I could run into a tweaker looking for an opportunity. I shot the *expletive deleted*it out of that k frame when I used to shoot IDPA or IPSEC so I and very comfortable with speedloaders.

I do want to get a 629 or m-29 as my new rural firearm, but I don't feel undergunned with .357, even when chasing bears in the north woods.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 12:29:41 PM »
Meh. Get a 329, moar fun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 12:54:36 PM »
Meh. Get a 329, moar fun.

The 637 is already a handful,. I just shoot my .454 if I really need to punish my hands.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536