Author Topic: A question for the revolver carriers and additional ammo  (Read 1495 times)

thebaldguy

• friends
Re: A question for the revolver carriers and additional ammo
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 03:39:32 PM »
I have a small ammo pouch that carries 6 rounds in elastic loops. It goes in a pocket or can go on a belt.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2022, 05:50:15 PM »
I will have to agree with the "get more gun" guys.

I have an LCR that I really like. It was my best compact option when I still lived in CA. I don't carry it much these days because I have a P365 and a P238, both of which carry more rounds and are easier to conceal.

That said, my predominate carry gun is still my 1911, so at 8+1 rounds, I'm really not that far above revolver guys in capacity. I more often than not don't carry a spare mag, especially for local runs to the store and what not or when it's on me on the farm.

I've never been in a gunfight. There are plenty of expert opinions - some mentioned here. Refer to Fly320's post. If you are in the "reloads are rare" camp, there is no reason, in local EDC - going on a trip or something is different -  to carry extra rounds in any "speedloader" configuration. If you want extra revolver rounds just to have, stick them in whatever. Auto guys of course have it easier with a spare mag. As 320s said, if you're not practicing reloads (and that goes for us auto guys too) at least a couple of times a week, if you find yourself in a "tactical reload" or "I'm out and the slide locked back" situation in a real fight, you are at a severe disadvantage.

If you really think you are going to need more rounds in a gunfight, get a gun that holds more rounds. That's your reload. A Sig P365 that holds 12 rounds is the reload for a revolver. Or I, for instance, swap out the 8 round 1911 for the 15+1 round FNX45. The bigger gun is my reload.

Again, not knocking revolvers as I carry the old guy 1911. However if you really think you're gonna need a tactical reload, get a gun that gives you more ammo in the first place, then hope things don't go to *expletive deleted*it where you have to go for that speedloader or spare mag. Still practice reloads though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 07:36:06 PM »
I have become really untactical living in the sticks. Except for the part where you never know exactly where I will have a gun, but I do...

That said I certainly subscribe to the more capacity camp because if there is a bigger magazine I have bought it. I do not understand however the people who do not carry a spare mag for  the bottom stuffers. That is remedy attempt #1 for many problems you may encounter.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2022, 07:50:40 PM »
On occasion I carry a 642 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster and a speed strip.  The loaded speed strip actually fits in the holster.

I don't carry the extra rounds for during, they're for after - if there is one.  I don't like to have an empty firearm.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2022, 11:46:27 PM »
As IL-ANNOY doesn't allow OC (and barely allows CC), I don't actually "carry".  What I do have is a custom belt and holster on which I have 2 black nylon pouches with a single SpeedLoader in each.  I also have a leather box that can hold an entire 50 round box of ammo (.357).
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 10:51:18 AM »
As IL-ANNOY doesn't allow OC (and barely allows CC), I don't actually "carry".  What I do have is a custom belt and holster on which I have 2 black nylon pouches with a single SpeedLoader in each.  I also have a leather box that can hold an entire 50 round box of ammo (.357).

Are you in Mordor-by-the-lake, aka Chicago?  out where I'm at, there are very few places I can't carry.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2022, 10:39:59 PM »
Are you in Mordor-by-the-lake, aka Chicago?  out where I'm at, there are very few places I can't carry.

No.  I'm in southwestern IL, not too far from St. Louis.  My problem is that I go to too many doctors (usually for my elderly parent) and those people even get bent out of shape because of the single blade folder I wear on my belt.  Most, being in hospitals or other "medical facilities", ban all weapons.  When I point out how the stick pens (Bic, et. al) they use could be considered a weapon, they have a tendency to get red in the face.  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 04:52:26 PM »
I carry 2 speedloaders

:old:

Yours?  What grips?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 06:12:26 PM »
The Next Generation of Revolver Speed Strips From Zeta6
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/22/zeta6-revolver-speed-strips/

Looks pretty cool.  I am curious how the rounds are peeled off.  Is it the same as a traditional speed strip or did they change it up a little?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 05:19:48 AM »
Yours?  What grips?
Was my dad's. The grips are Roger's Combat Grips. The gun is a S&W 10-8. Still have it. My wife LOVES it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 10:51:45 AM »
"I am curious how the rounds are peeled off.  Is it the same as a traditional speed strip or did they change it up a little?"

I suspect it's the same for standard speed strips -- drop the shells part way into the cylinder and then roll your hand over to pull the speed strip off the case head.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.