Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Author Topic: Remember the wedding cake SCOTUS case?  (Read 134 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Remember the wedding cake SCOTUS case?
« on: December 05, 2022, 08:11:00 PM »

The case in which a baker didn't want to be forced to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples?

Now we're doing it all over -- but this time it's over web sites:

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-decide-christian-business-124938900.html

First, same-sex couples just wanted to be allowed to live together openly. So we gave them that. Then they came back and wanted legal protections for their togetherness, so the courts and the legislatures created "civil unions," which is all they said they wanted. And then they came back again, and said, "No, civil unions aren't enough -- we want to be able to call our unions 'marriages,' even if we don't meet the classic definition of what marriage is."

And many states have rolled over and given them that, too. And now even that isn't enough. Now they want to be able to force people whose beliefs don't support same-sex unions into providing services for them.

Slippery slope, meet reality.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Remember the wedding cake SCOTUS case?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 09:48:22 PM »

The case in which a baker didn't want to be forced to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples?

Now we're doing it all over -- but this time it's over web sites:

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-decide-christian-business-124938900.html

First, same-sex couples just wanted to be allowed to live together openly. So we gave them that. Then they came back and wanted legal protections for their togetherness, so the courts and the legislatures created "civil unions," which is all they said they wanted. And then they came back again, and said, "No, civil unions aren't enough -- we want to be able to call our unions 'marriages,' even if we don't meet the classic definition of what marriage is."

And many states have rolled over and given them that, too. And now even that isn't enough. Now they want to be able to force people whose beliefs don't support same-sex unions into providing services for them.

Slippery slope, meet reality.

And the news reports on it are saying the case is about businesses hiding behind the First Amendment to shield their bigotry and hatred.
"It's good, though..."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 10:21:19 PM »

I used to think gay marriage was not a big deal.  Boy that was stupid.

It is a huge club to attack Christianity, the family and our children.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 10:52:01 PM »

I wonder if the LGBTQ crowd think kosher restaurants should be forced to serve pork chops and ham steaks.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 10:56:34 PM »

I wonder if the LGBTQ crowd think kosher restaurants should be forced to serve pork chops and ham steaks.

Yes they do, but Muslim (what's the word, halal?) restaurants should not be forced to serve pork because the Muslims are a little bit scary.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 12:10:18 AM »

Yes they do, but Muslim (what's the word, halal?) restaurants should not be forced to serve pork because the Muslims are a little bit scary.
Mmm… my favorite pizza joint is halal. Beef pepperoni, beef bacon, beef sausage, garlic sauce.  Excellent.

WLJ

• friends
  • I am not a cat
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 08:32:24 AM »

Roast the pig
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes