Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]

Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 30567 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1625 on: June 22, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »

If they believe that, they are smoking crack.  Lithuania is the most nationalistic of the Baltic States, remembers and hates the Soviets, and has a large group of folks that returned home in the 90's after long careers in the US military.  Of all the former SSR's, Lithuania is at the top of the list to successfully tell Russia to *expletive deleted*ck Off.  If Putin can't subdue the Ukraine, he has zero chance in Lithuania.

And that's before the rest of NATO wakes up and gets involved.
I remember when the USSR broke up and the Baltics regained their independence, there was a mass desertion of Lithuanians from the Red Army. The leadership insisted that the Lithuanians had to stay for the balance of their enlistment, but were ignored. And IIRC they were a bit . . . upset . . . that Lithuanian deserters were welcomed back to Lithuania rather than treated as Red Army deserters.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Those who work for a living are being BURIED by those who vote for a living.
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1626 on: June 22, 2022, 01:59:51 PM »

^^^I like to learn something every day: why were (or are) there numbers of Lithuanians serving in the US military?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1627 on: June 22, 2022, 03:14:53 PM »

^^^I like to learn something every day: why were (or are) there numbers of Lithuanians serving in the US military?

A large number of Lithuanians came to the US as refugees from the Nazi's and Soviets.  They lived here, had kids, raised families, etc, while retaining a strong Lithuanian identity and community.  Their kids, and grandkids, having been born here were US citizens, and my understanding from the guys I talked to, was that that Lithuanian community put a lot of emphasis on being martial and joining the US military to be ready to fight the Soviets and reclaim their homeland.  When the USSR fell in the 90's, and the Lithuanian government reformed they welcomed home, and gave citizenship to, pretty much any ethnically Lithuanian kids of refugees (and obviously the refugees themselves, if still alive).  Due to the aforementioned strong community identity, a lot of Lithuanians in the US took them up on the citizenship.  Either dual US/Lithuanian, or just straight going home.  The way it was explained to me on my first Defender Europe was that in 1992-93 the fledgling government of Lithuania stood up an officer corps of pretty much all ethnically Lithuanian, US trained folks who had returned from the west.  That let them neatly sidestep the whole "We need a military, but those guys were Red Army last week" trust issues many former SSRs had.

Since then, and even more since 2004, they have been very proactive in cross training at US bases and doing a lot of joint exercises with us and the rest of NATO.  They joined ISAF early on, and when I was working with them in 2019 had managed to actually meet the NATO "2% of GDP" military funding requirement.

WLJ

• friends
  • I am not a cat
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1629 on: Today at 10:32:51 AM »

Shocking Russian Military Corruption Exposed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0kSDV9U_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJITZJWWblM
Is Ukraine losing the War?
This is an interview with someone who tracks what is going on in Russia.  Indicates Russia is not doing any sort of mobilization to ramp up efforts in the Ukraine.  Still seems to be winning even if slowly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • I am not a cat
« Reply #1630 on: Today at 10:49:18 AM »

Russia is winning just not in the way they expected or wanted to. They expected a rollover but instead got a slow Verdun style grind.
IF Russia can keep up the pressure Ukraine should eventually crack. If Belarus does join the fray it's probably game over.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1631 on: Today at 11:01:43 AM »

I think Russia's original goal of a conquered Ukraine is lost.  They might be able to conquer some more lands in the east to add to the Crimea, IF they can keep it up.  If Ukraine can maintain foreign ammo coming in, and keep enough people alive to use it, they could conceivably push Russia completely out of the country, including the Crimea. I don't thing anyone, including Russia, really has a good idea of the state of their remaining forces and equipment, nor do we know how long it'll be till the world loses interest and Ukraine's ammo dries up.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1632 on: Today at 01:46:41 PM »

I think Russia's original goal of a conquered Ukraine is lost.  They might be able to conquer some more lands in the east to add to the Crimea, IF they can keep it up.  If Ukraine can maintain foreign ammo coming in, and keep enough people alive to use it, they could conceivably push Russia completely out of the country, including the Crimea. I don't thing anyone, including Russia, really has a good idea of the state of their remaining forces and equipment, nor do we know how long it'll be till the world loses interest and Ukraine's ammo dries up.
Joe Biden is putting his thumb on the scales - we were originally going to supply Ukraine with missiles having a nearly 200 mile range, but Biden was worried about how the Ukrainians might use them, so only "40 mile range" missiles will be supplied. There was talk about some sort of missile with a 400 mile range being in play, but the fear was that if the Russians hit Kiev again, the Ukrainians might decide to target Moscow, which is <400 miles from some parts of Ukraine that Russia isn't occupying.

Russia's strategy seems to have evolved from its initial "invade and take charge of the cities, factories, and infrastructure" goals to "bomb and shell the cr@p out of everything and occupy the rubble."  Makes it harder on the uncooperative Ukrainians.

Of course I don't know for sure what's going on, especially behind the scenes. This is just based on various US TV & internet news stories I've seen or heard, so take it for what it's worth.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Those who work for a living are being BURIED by those who vote for a living.
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1633 on: Today at 03:59:47 PM »

I think Ukraine could change the tide of the war if they could just suppress the damn Russian artillery.  Air superiority would help if they had an Air Force to do so.

Most of the videos I’ve seen lately show the battlefield full of artillery impact craters everywhere….
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]