Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133346 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1700 on: September 16, 2022, 05:41:35 PM »
Him saying "As soon as possible" could mean anything from now to whenever Ukraine is ready to surrender.
And what about the disputed territories including Crimea   
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1701 on: September 16, 2022, 05:44:08 PM »
I think it's just rhetoric to placate the Indian PM.  Putin's not stopping the war any time soon.  Though I would love to be wrong.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1702 on: September 16, 2022, 06:29:43 PM »
At this point I don't think Ukraine is going to stop till they are back at 2013 borders

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1703 on: September 16, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »
At this point I don't think Ukraine is going to stop till they are back at 2013 borders
Personally, I don't think Crimea or the Donbas region will be anything but Russian in our lives going forward. I suspect you may have better access to information than I do but on the other hand this is a full blown information war on a scale we've never seen, so who knows?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1704 on: September 16, 2022, 07:36:17 PM »

I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1705 on: September 16, 2022, 07:38:05 PM »
Ukraine is pretty solidly pushing the Russians back, and have a pretty strong nationalist identity, a big part of which is being pissed at Russia.  As the aggrieved party, I think they will push until they get to their original borders, or until Russia starts winning again.

They have the people to sustain this level of fighting, and the west seems like it's going to keep them armed, conversely Russia is low on troops and munitions.  There's also the fact that the Ukraine has a decent core of Vetern professional troops, still and Russia is running out of conscripts and going to 4th tier replacements.

On top of all that, there seems to be a bunch of "Ukrainian" soldiers that seem to have Ft. Bragg addresses.  It's wierd.

All that said, Russia could pull a miracle out and start advancing again, or hold the line till winter when freezing Germans and Poles cause the NATO munitions support to dry up.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1706 on: September 16, 2022, 09:17:17 PM »
Related, Germany has seized three Russian gas plants. I can't help but think the "energy wars" outside of the physical conflict are going to get ugly. Even seizing those plants, I'm not sure where the EU is going to get enough actual gas to process through them to handle the Euro population.
Especially if they mysteriously blow up or catch fire.  ("You took my stuff - if I can't have it, you can't either.")
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1707 on: September 17, 2022, 12:30:06 AM »
Mammoth Natural Gas Deposit Could be Lying Just South of Crete
https://greekreporter.com/2019/10/31/mammoth-natural-gas-deposit-could-be-lying-just-south-of-crete/

I saw a more recent report on this not too long ago.  I have no idea how long it will take to get wells in production and sending gas to the rest of Europe.  Probably take 10 years to get the wells and pipelines past EU red tape. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1708 on: September 17, 2022, 06:04:00 AM »
The EU is less likely to drill new wells than the Biden Administration. They'll let people freeze to death until the demand for gas reaches the capacity and call it "sustainable "

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1709 on: September 17, 2022, 04:28:17 PM »
Zelensky says ‘torture chambers’ where civilians were abused found in Kharkiv region
https://www.yahoo.com/news/zelensky-says-torture-chambers-where-020816677.html

Zelensky said in an address that officials found premises where civilians were kept, including seven citizens of the Republic of Sri Lanka who were students at the Kupyansk Medical College. The group of Sri Lankan citizens are now receiving medical care, Zelensky added.

The United Nations said on Friday that it plans to send investigators to Izyum to examine the mass burial site, a move that Zelensky commended.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1710 on: September 17, 2022, 04:49:52 PM »

On top of all that, there seems to be a bunch of "Ukrainian" soldiers that seem to have Ft. Bragg addresses.  It's wierd.

Where did you learn that?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1711 on: September 17, 2022, 06:39:31 PM »
Where did you learn that?

It is a relatively open "secret" that among the US citizens that volunteered to fight for Ukraine, JSOC is well represented.  I believe the story is they are guys that recently got out. 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1712 on: September 17, 2022, 06:50:29 PM »
It is a relatively open "secret" that among the US citizens that volunteered to fight for Ukraine, JSOC is well represented.  I believe the story is they are guys that recently got out.

Can confirm.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #1713 on: September 17, 2022, 07:21:45 PM »
So it's way past being just another proxy army.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1714 on: September 17, 2022, 07:45:46 PM »
Just more in a sea of little green men.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1715 on: September 17, 2022, 07:52:16 PM »
The EU is less likely to drill new wells than the Biden Administration. They'll let people freeze to death until the demand for gas reaches the capacity and call it "sustainable "

Article in Yahoo News today about how firewood is the new gold in Europe and wood stoves are selling out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1716 on: September 17, 2022, 07:53:19 PM »
We've been in this war for a while now. Ukraine was just the latest front.

Unrestricted Warfare is the name of the game, it's all the rage. I think the empire might be behind the eight ball though, our enemies were rope a doping us. Russia, Iran and China in particular aren't interested in being vassal states.

Better hope we win and that the clowns that got us in this mess, as well as those that went along with it, are removed. We're (the US population) are in a tricky spot.

It's like watching the Sopranos, no good guys in the script. Plenty of victims and suckers though.

We'll probably all have shuffled off before it's all sorted out.

My opinion only, working theory subject to change and blah blah blah
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1717 on: September 19, 2022, 09:57:19 AM »
So history repeats itself, in a way.

In Korea, there were hordes of Chicom "volunteers" fighting with the Norks.

And "volunteer" Russian pilots flying MIGs were flying out of Chinese bases against UN aircraft (mostly USAF and USN), having been granted a "safe haven" north of the Yalu by a Democrat POTUS, who also covered up Russian involvement lest it annoy the US public at large.

Foreign troops were involved in Vietnam and of course a contingent of Russia's "Wagner Group" was virtually wiped out (mostly by artillery and air strikes) in Syria about 4 years ago.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1718 on: September 19, 2022, 10:31:17 AM »
Came across this recently...

Army plans to ‘nearly triple’ production of artillery shells after US gives nearly 1 million to Ukraine
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-ramp-up-production-artillery-shells-rockets/

“We are seeking over a couple of years to nearly triple our production of 155 [mm shells],” Bush said on Wednesday. Congress has been supportive; we have funding; we are executing and making that happen. We are also, through support from Congress, working to dramatically increase our production rate for GLMRS missiles – Guided MLRS [Multiple Launch Rocket System], HIMARS [High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems] launchers – in most cases doubling or more than doubling current production rates.”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1719 on: September 19, 2022, 11:45:10 AM »
Came across this recently...

Army plans to ‘nearly triple’ production of artillery shells after US gives nearly 1 million to Ukraine
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-ramp-up-production-artillery-shells-rockets/

Until Congress cuts funding for the replenishment down the road.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1720 on: September 19, 2022, 11:52:11 AM »

Dems have better uses for the money since artillery shells don't vote
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1721 on: September 19, 2022, 12:08:23 PM »

Nah, Dems are going to need that Arty for the Civil War.  They'll keep the funding.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1722 on: September 19, 2022, 12:09:20 PM »
Nah, Dems are going to need that Arty for the Civil War.  They'll keep the funding.

They have F-15s and nukes
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1723 on: September 19, 2022, 03:29:07 PM »
No, they might just mandate going to some other manufacturer for DEI concerns like they did for M16 magazines.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1724 on: September 19, 2022, 08:16:25 PM »
No, they might just mandate going to some other manufacturer for DEI concerns like they did for M16 magazines.

What is this?