Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133891 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2022, 10:21:22 AM »
Move over Slawell and Reid, we have our most insane take yet.

Right-wing doesn't love Putin just because he is an authoritarian, tyrannical leader, they love him because he's a WHITE authoritarian leader. Race has become more important than even nationality. They've turned on democracy and now even America, in favor of a white warlord.

— Cenk Uygur (@cenkuygur) February 24, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/02/24/cenk-uygur-the-right-loves-vladimir-putin-because-hes-a-white-authoritarian-leader-and-americans-sure-do-love-themselves-a-white-warlord/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2022, 10:25:18 AM »
This may be a close 2nd though

Lot of people in Ukraine crowding together inside.

Only 35% of Ukrainians have been vaccinated. Less than 2% have been boosted.

— Dana Houle (@DanaHoule) February 24, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/02/24/nobody-is-this-stupid-lefty-dragged-then-dragged-more-for-nagging-unvaccinated-ukrainians-about-crowding-together-inside/

Hmmm, bombs, COVID, bombs, COVID?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2022, 10:36:21 AM »
Never mind. The dems/libs are having a contest in who can post the dumbest out of touch of reality *expletive deleted*it

One thing worth keeping in my mind today: There’s a straight line from Russia’s attack on the US election in 2016 to 1/6 to today’s new invasion of Ukraine. The chaos that Russia unleashed with the election of Trump weakened us to the point Putin feels confident invading Europe.

— Garrett M. Graff (@vermontgmg) February 24, 2022
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/02/24/cleanup-on-aisle-biden-blue-check-historian-says-trump-weakened-us-to-the-point-putin-feels-confident-invading-europe/
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2022, 10:47:34 AM »
Just did a quick perusal of EU news outlets, they don't seem to be very worried about Russia
The US warned loudly & clearly that this was going to happen and they said we were overreacting. It doesn't seem like they have a better read on the situation.
European news. In this case specifically Germany, who, sad for me to say, seems to be going very soft on Russia for political /economic reasons. This story is from the Epoch Times Germany, who are pretty similar to the US Epoch Times in generally unbiased reporting.

In this article, they are talking about undue saber rattling by the US and UK, that Biden is overreacting, and even have interviews with Ukrainian officials downplaying the current crisis.

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2022, 10:50:23 AM »
Reports there's fighting at Chernobyl.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2022, 10:59:05 AM »
Yep, they're having a contest

Bet he hopped on his private jet to say this

Former U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on BBC Arabic: The Ukraine Crisis Could Distract the World from the Climate Crisis While Having Massive Emissions Consequences #RussiaUkraineConflict #UkraineRussie #UkraineRussiaCrisis #ClimateCrisis @JohnKerry @ClimateEnvoy pic.twitter.com/nsOC1iZeGm

— MEMRI (@MEMRIReports) February 24, 2022
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/02/24/not-a-parody-part-2-john-kerry-warns-of-the-carbon-footprint-of-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2022, 11:12:03 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2022, 11:13:30 AM »
Reports there's fighting at Chernobyl.

Do you want mutants with superpowers? Because fighting a war in a radioactive wasteland is how you get mutants with superpowers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2022, 11:44:33 AM »
Yep, they're having a contest

Bet he hopped on his private jet to say this
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/02/24/not-a-parody-part-2-john-kerry-warns-of-the-carbon-footprint-of-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/

Don't worry Johnny, he is offsetting it by killing a bunch of people so they won't be admitting as many emissions.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2022, 11:54:24 AM »
And from another universe

Stephen King
@StephenKing
 Â· Feb 22
Mr. Putin has made a serious miscalculation.
He forgot he's no longer dealing with Trump.

Putin right now  :rofl:

True in the sense that you can never know what an Alzheimer's patient might do.  Paranoia is a common symptom of Alzheimer's.  Our dementia-addled leader could do something monumentally stupid in reaction to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2022, 12:24:12 PM »
I'll be honest: I thought this would end up being a more limited action on the eastern parts of Ukraine.  I thought a full scale invasion seemed less likely.

Ultimately the west will let Ukraine fall.  The lesson here is that countries without nuclear weapons exist at the convenience of those who do.

Also: The UN again proves it's uselessness.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2022, 12:29:22 PM »
Just heard someone at work say that Chinese aircraft are flying into Taiwan airspace.  Anyone hearing this? 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2022, 12:31:07 PM »
Just heard someone at work say that Chinese aircraft are flying into Taiwan airspace.  Anyone hearing this?
They have been testing Taiwanese air space a number of times over the last year or more.  I hope it doesn't mean something more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2022, 12:34:35 PM »
They have been testing Taiwanese air space a number of times over the last year or more.  I hope it doesn't mean something more.

That's what I'm afraid of.  The Chinese saying "Quick, while everyone is looking at Ukraine, let's grab Taiwan."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2022, 01:26:46 PM »
After doing a "readers digest" version of the history of Ukraine and also the history of Taiwan as a refresher I have a serious question. What is the time frame that should be accepted for a region to be considered separated from their "home" nation and be independent?

As far as China is concerned they never gave up Taiwan. The Taiwan government apparently for a while considered themselves the actual legitimate Chinese government in exile.

Russia and the USSR have been in "possession" of Ukraine for a substantial part of modern history, there are areas of Ukraine that are majority Russian or Russian leaning politically.

China plays the long game and it looks like KGB Putin does also.

Maybe the best long game for the USA and the west would have been to fortify and strengthen NATO as it consisted at the collapse of the USSR instead of expanding NATO eastward. Our NATO allies have been pretty feckless all along, particularly about pulling their own weight financially. Spreading NATO even thinner looks like a bad play to me.

My expectation was that China and Taiwan would unify peacefully in the future. They played the long game with Hong Kong and won and I don't see why they would rush things now. I just don't know what the sentiment is in Taiwan, if there is widespread support of the people for reunification the timeframe might be sped up.

Looking to the USA for leadership on the Ukraine issue with a totally compromised POTUS is probably not a wise move for the Europeans.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2022, 01:32:06 PM »
After doing a "readers digest" version of the history of Ukraine and also the history of Taiwan as a refresher I have a serious question. What is the time frame that should be accepted for a region to be considered separated from their "home" nation and be independent?

I don't think a given amount of time is really the right metric.  Along what lines do you think countries should form?  Geographic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2022, 01:38:00 PM »
Russia and China set up a new energy trade agreement before he invaded. Our sanctions won't mean crap to Putin.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2022, 01:55:04 PM »
I don't think a given amount of time is really the right metric.  Along what lines do you think countries should form?  Geographic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic?

I'm thinking genetic, ethnic and cultural occupying a geographic location. My assumption until very recently was that Taiwan was of mostly Han Chinese descent. Apparently that is not true at all and that the majority are of Taiwanese descent, not from the Chinese or Japanese. If true I would say the Taiwanese are a distinct people/Nation on all counts.

I'm not sure about Ukraine, particularly since they have been a part of Russia on and off for a long time.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2022, 02:05:54 PM »
We have more sanctions we can put on Russia but we will see how these are working in a month. Let's Go Brandon.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2022, 02:54:30 PM »
FlightRadar24 since last night

You are now in line.
Thanks for your patience.
Your estimated wait time is 13 minutes...
We are experiencing a high volume of traffic and using a virtual queue to limit the amount of users on the website at the same time. This will ensure you have the best possible online experience.

This page will automatically refresh, please do not close your browser.

Last updated 2:53:25 PM
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2022, 03:19:07 PM »
Don’t worry about Putin, our military has this in the bag.

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxQo8Pz-l2lVGttFqLgjG99EEPTDCWnsh8
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2022, 03:48:11 PM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2022, 03:52:44 PM »
Anotov An-225 Mriya: Reports world's largest plane destroyed at Hostomel airport
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19950717.anotov-an-225-mriya-reports-worlds-largest-plane-destroyed-hostomel-airport/

Oh no!  We would occasionally see the AN-225 and AN-124 landing at Paine Field in Everett or Boeing Field in Seattle, usually in the context of shipping parts for Boeing, or on the way to an airshow.  They made the C-5 Galaxy, 747, and 787 Dreamlifters look small.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.