Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133274 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2022, 06:08:43 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2022, 06:09:11 PM »
Since WLJ mentioned flightradar24 I thought I'd take a look. Apparently, Ukraine is being given a wide berth, which makes sense.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2022, 06:45:29 PM »
As to how we decide nations, my limited experience with Ukrainian coworkers is that is best to not call them Russian for funsies. They don’t get the joke. The national identity is strong. No doubt we screwed around in their politics but they have had multiple votes and constitutional amendments that says they look west. We promised them security for giving back the nukes. The guy deposed by their revolution lives in exile in Russia. A good party member too. So it is not like vlad was sitting over there minding his own.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2022, 06:51:52 PM »
. We promised them security for giving back the nukes.

The USA promised that we would not attack them.  Russia promised the same.  We are keeping our promise.  Russia isn't.

We did not promise that we would stop Russia from attacking them.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2022, 06:54:59 PM »
I really thought that whole administration couldn't be idiots.

I turned on cable new today for the first time since the 2020 election to watch the briefings. i was proved right. They had one guy smart enough to hire Stephen King to write policy. Only they told him to use the book 1984 and the movie Ideocracy and make them the presidents policy.   
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2022, 06:56:37 PM »
I was just talking to hot Ukrainian ex-coworker and she was talking to her relatives in Western Ukraine a couple of hours ago. Things are relatively calm at the moment where her relatives are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2022, 07:19:27 PM »
    reminder not to assign gender to anyone from ukraine when tweeting about world war 3. remember to use the correct term “folx” when referring to all ukrainian folx ! 🤍 it’s not hard to be inclusive of all genders in ukraine

— señorita awesome (@noangeIcharli) February 24, 2022

A coupe of other winners at the link

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/24/putin-did-us-a-favor-libs-of-tik-tok-presents-the-worst-takes-to-come-out-of-the-russian-invasion-of-ukraine/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2022, 08:11:36 PM »
The Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances may require the US and UK to go to war with Russia for invading Ukraine (or Belarus or Kazakhstan). I'm still reading about this.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2022, 08:29:12 PM »
Doubling down, Deputy National Security Advisor and Deputy NEC Director, Daleep Singh says "our measures were not designed to disrupt in any way the current flow of energy from Russia to the world."

So does that mean we're still getting our oil from them too? Those are some sanctions, you betchya.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2022, 08:34:45 PM »
A coupe of other winners at the link

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/24/putin-did-us-a-favor-libs-of-tik-tok-presents-the-worst-takes-to-come-out-of-the-russian-invasion-of-ukraine/

The one you quoted kinda makes me want to see the commies cyberkill our power grid, just so that these aholes can learn what real problems are.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2022, 08:40:47 PM »
The Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances may require the US and UK to go to war with Russia for invading Ukraine (or Belarus or Kazakhstan). I'm still reading about this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

The Budapest Memorandum was negotiated at political level, but it is not entirely clear whether the instrument is devoid entirely of legal provisions. It refers to assurances, but it does not impose a legal obligation of military assistance on its parties.[1][20] According to Stephen MacFarlane, a professor of international relations, "It gives signatories justification if they take action, but it does not force anyone to act in Ukraine."

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2022, 08:49:10 PM »
Something I'm curious about. MSM seems to be making a big deal out of the Ruskies "capturing" Chernobyl, what's the big deal about capturing a radioactive shithole?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2022, 08:58:44 PM »
Since WLJ mentioned flightradar24 I thought I'd take a look. Apparently, Ukraine is being given a wide berth, which makes sense.

That's how Afghanistan looked right after the Taliban took over.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2022, 09:07:23 PM »
Something I'm curious about. MSM seems to be making a big deal out of the Ruskies "capturing" Chernobyl, what's the big deal about capturing a radioactive shithole?

Well, they can't use their nukes without starting WW3 but some terrorists with a few dirty bombs running around is a whole different story.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2022, 09:09:55 PM »
After doing a "readers digest" version of the history of Ukraine and also the history of Taiwan as a refresher I have a serious question. What is the time frame that should be accepted for a region to be considered separated from their "home" nation and be independent?

As far as China is concerned they never gave up Taiwan. The Taiwan government apparently for a while considered themselves the actual legitimate Chinese government in exile.

The legitimate government of China was the government "in exile" in/on Taiwan. As far as I'm concerned, the communist government of mainland China is not and never has been legitimate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »

I'm not sure about Ukraine, particularly since they have been a part of Russia on and off for a long time.

I'm very fuzzy on details but, if I remember what she said even a bit correctly, a former GF from Ukraine basically said that Ukraine is older than Russia as a civilized nation, and that Ukraine was the birthplace of Russia.

Or something like that.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2022, 09:28:04 PM »
Wasn't Ukraine the USSR's version of Florida, along with harbors and pipelines?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:41:54 AM by Bogie »
Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2022, 09:28:32 PM »
In an article I read they pointed out that if Russia is staging troops, equipment and the like there nobody will be dropping bombs or attacking them with missiles due to not wanting to kick up clouds of radioactive dust. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2022, 09:28:59 PM »
Somethings I've not seen asked is what would Putin do if a stalemate ensues or even starts losing?
What is the morale of the Russian army like in all of this?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 10:30:01 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2022, 09:31:11 PM »
"Russian warship, go *expletive deleted*ck yourself."

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1497005877555077124
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2022, 09:31:25 PM »
In an article I read they pointed out that if Russia is staging troops, equipment and the like there nobody will be dropping bombs or attacking them with missiles due to not wanting to kick up clouds of radioactive dust.

Wonder what the troops there think about being in a radioactive wonderland?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2022, 09:34:07 PM »

I caught a few headlines talking about that too.  I'd guess it's just because that's a very recognizable name for the public in the west.  I think people associate it with danger and importance.  From the perspective of the military campaign... it isn't relevant.

Although I'm sure people working on dismantling and dealing with chernobyl-4 in the new safe confinement are not entirely thrilled to be in the middle of a war zone.  I wonder if the Russians will expel the Ukrainian and international workers there?

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2022, 10:28:55 PM »

Although I'm sure people working on dismantling and dealing with chernobyl-4 in the new safe confinement are not entirely thrilled to be in the middle of a war zone.  I wonder if the Russians will expel the Ukrainian and international workers there?

CNN reported that the techs are now being held prisoner by the Russian forces.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2022, 01:09:37 AM »

Seems like the Russian troops would be the worst off getting dusted with radmats from munition impacts there.  The dust won't go far without being carried into the upper atmosphere without a thermal updraft.