Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133292 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2022, 03:13:26 PM »
If China and Russia are coordinating this could get more interesting.

China of course has Taiwan in its sights but they also have been in a conflict with India. Another nation without an allies to team up with against China.

India has nukes, and will use them if it thinks it is falling.  Not to mention a culture and population that would be close to ungovernable under Communism.  I think the CCP knows that.  Nepal might want to be a bit nervous.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2022, 04:12:23 PM »
White House news conference. I could only take a few minutes.  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2022, 04:15:32 PM »
"Reporter" wants to know why are countries like Poland treating refugees from Ukraine differently than they do refugees from the middle east. Psaki pass on that question. I wonder why? My guess is that it would have forced her to say something not PC
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 04:28:40 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2022, 04:36:16 PM »
Breaking Zelensky - Ukraine ready to discuss ceasefire

A spokesman for Ukrainian President Zelensky has just said the country is prepared to hold ceasefire and peace talks with Russia immediately.

He said Russian and Ukrainian officials are currently discussing a time and place for talks to be held.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60517447
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2022, 04:36:48 PM »

Formula 1 has cancelled the race in Sochi for 2022.  And the Haas team has removed the Uralkali sponsorship from their cars.  No word if Nikita Mazapin will retain his seat.  Though many on the grid would be glad to see him gone no matter the means.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
16:41
Ukraine denies reports it rebuffed offer of peace talks

Ukraine has denied reports that it rebuffed a Russian offer to explore peace talks.

The Ukrainian president's spokesman, Serhiy Nykyforov, said on Facebook: "I have to deny statements that we have refused to hold talks.

"Ukraine was and remains ready to talk about the end to fighting and about peace. This is our unchanged position.

"We agreed to the offer by the Russian president. Right at this moment, the sides are consulting on the place and time of holding the negotiating process.

"The sooner the talks begin, the more chances there will be to restore normal life."
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »
Looks like China has decided that unprovoked state-level aggression might be bad after all.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/china-restrict-financing-russia-ukraina-invasion

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »
Looks like China has decided that unprovoked state-level aggression might be bad after all.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/china-restrict-financing-russia-ukraina-invasion

Brad

But they are still going to buy every lump of coal Russia has to offer.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2022, 05:15:12 PM »
Airlines tend to not work well when they don't have passengers to carry. Plus not having a convenient way to get influential Western businesspersons and their associated hundreds of billions in and out of the country.

Delta suspends partnership with Aeroflot.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/international/delta-suspends-partnership-with-russian-airline-aeroflot/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=kamc&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR3o36b7Zd1VSxVkjqxTqutvHklDiRInyIc6f6HkfrT6No-xI9W-6oUGDHI

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2022, 05:23:09 PM »
"How long do you think you can hold out?"

"Forever."

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-russia-soldier-woman-confrontation-b2022993.html

If they all have the cojones of this woman, Russia has a problem.   
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2022, 05:34:32 PM »
Formula 1 has cancelled the race in Sochi for 2022.  And the Haas team has removed the Uralkali sponsorship from their cars.  No word if Nikita Mazapin will retain his seat.  Though many on the grid would be glad to see him gone no matter the means.

Because he has destroyed more vehicles than the ukrainian army?  I follow F1 heavily but they have a long way to go in stopping kissing dictators asses.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »
If Putin decided to push for the whole enchilada, what would be the next country that he would invade?
I watched a video that said that there are 9 passes that Russia must control in order to secure it's border in the West. With the annexation of Crimea they held 3. The 'Stans are 2 more but less relevant atm. Ukraine will give them another, plus food. The remainder are Belarus and north to Estonia. Since Belarus is already on friendly terms with Russia, if I were Lithuania or Latvia I'd be real nervous about who's next.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2022, 06:28:03 PM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2022, 06:35:25 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-russia-soldier-woman-confrontation-b2022993.html

If they all have the cojones of this woman, Russia has a problem.

I saw that yesterday.  Grandma is stone cold.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2022, 06:50:14 PM »
This is a treat we didn't need. Maybe NATO will wake up.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/russian-space-chief-talks-of-space-station-crashing-down-to-earth

There has already been recent talk of ISS end of life in the near future. Whether it was going to be a de-orbit and burn up operation or push it in to a much higher parking orbit was part of the discussion.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2022, 07:38:45 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2022, 08:08:53 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2022, 09:28:27 PM »
https://buchanan.org/blog/did-we-provoke-putins-war-in-ukraine-159120

When Russia’s Vladimir Putin demanded that the U.S. rule out Ukraine as a future member of the NATO alliance, the U.S. archly replied: NATO has an open-door policy. Any nation, including Ukraine, may apply for membership and be admitted. We’re not changing that.

In the Bucharest declaration of 2008, NATO had put Ukraine and Georgia, ever farther east in the Caucasus, on a path to membership in NATO and coverage under Article 5 of the treaty, which declares that an attack on any one member is an attack on all.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2022, 10:00:33 PM »
Blame COVID
Yeah right

A senior State Department official, briefing a small group of reporters, says the COVID pandemic may have been one factor isolating Putin and preventing him from hearing contrary voices–making him more to embark on an Ukraine invasion that will lead to bloodshed and peril.

— Susan Page (@SusanPage) February 25, 2022
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/02/25/marco-rubio-hints-he-has-information-that-something-is-off-with-putin/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2022, 10:18:52 PM »
NATO response force activated for the first time ever.

https://news.yahoo.com/nato-activates-response-force-first-195211120.html
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2022, 10:22:19 PM »

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2022, 11:16:06 PM »
"I think it's really important for people to understand the brilliance with which President Biden is conducting this," Pelosi said, according to Fox News' Chad Pergram. "This is a man who served decades as chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee. He knows the arena. He knows the personalities."

"brilliance"

This is the same tyrant who attacked our democracy in 2016," she said at a news conference

Pelosi Says It's Important to 'Understand the Brilliance' of Biden's Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/landonmion/2022/02/25/pelosi-says-its-important-to-understand-the-brilliance-of-bidens-response-to-russian-invasion-of-ukraine-n2603825
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2022, 11:54:02 PM »
"brilliance"

Pelosi Says It's Important to 'Understand the Brilliance' of Biden's Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/landonmion/2022/02/25/pelosi-says-its-important-to-understand-the-brilliance-of-bidens-response-to-russian-invasion-of-ukraine-n2603825

I'm sure the Ukrainian people are suitably impressed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2022, 07:59:15 AM »
Watching the news this morning, it looks like though rifles are being handed out, there is not much ammo going with them.

I have to give kudos to the Ukrainian President. He's refusing evac and standing in the street armed, alongside his fellow citizens. I don't know what recent US president would have done the same. Obviously, most of them have been old, not that it's an excuse - Ukraine is ordering people as old as 60 to arm up, and I see older people are voluntarily taking up arms. Obama was young enough, but he wouldn't have done it. I think the last US President that would have put his money where his mouth was would have been Teddy Roosevelt.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."