Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131030 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #300 on: February 26, 2022, 08:42:18 AM »
I think W would of.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #301 on: February 26, 2022, 08:50:16 AM »
Before my time, but I've heard folks say Carter would have.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2022, 09:12:42 AM »
Update from the Ushanka Show*

Update on my family in Ukraine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p0n9cdNsBw

*For those who aren't familiar with the Ushanka Show it's a YT channel that follows what life was like in the old Soviet Union
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #303 on: February 26, 2022, 09:45:28 AM »
Baghdad Moscow Bob

Russian military spokesperson Maj Gen Igor Konashenkov said on Saturday that Moscow had suffered no casualties during the invasion.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60517447

Oh wait, he said MOSCOW had suffered no casualties
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2022, 10:55:53 AM »
Starting to wonder if the Ukrainians are doing too good. I personally wish them great success, many more javelins and all the paratroopers falling from the sky pre killed. But in a larger picture Putin has to save face. His whole brand is power. This threatens to make Russia irrelevant. Basically he is the bar fight guy who is getting his ass kicked and pulls out a gun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #306 on: February 26, 2022, 11:11:48 AM »
Starting to wonder if the Ukrainians are doing too good. I personally wish them great success, many more javelins and all the paratroopers falling from the sky pre killed. But in a larger picture Putin has to save face. His whole brand is power. This threatens to make Russia irrelevant. Basically he is the bar fight guy who is getting his ass kicked and pulls out a gun.

Yeah I asked  a page or so back what if Russian forces get caught up in stalemate or even start losing?

Now 'a war of necessity' for Putin

Paul Adams

BBC diplomatic correspondent

Western officials say that Ukraine’s military has been effective in slowing the Russian advance overnight in the capital Kyiv.

But they worry that the Russians, impatient to inflict a rapid victory, could resort to drastic measures.

“My fear would be that if they don’t meet the timescales and objectives… they will be indiscriminate in the use of violence,” one said.

“The problem is that [Vladimir Putin] having committed himself in the way that he has, this is now not a war of choice for him, but a war of necessity.”
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60517447/page/3

Anti war protests are growing in Russia and there's talk of grumbling in his cabinet
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2022, 11:27:32 AM »
Are the Ukraine rifles able to use Russian ammo? Likely. So they have a good source right there...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2022, 11:33:57 AM »
Are the Ukraine rifles able to use Russian ammo? Likely. So they have a good source right there...

If wiki can be trusted, yes for the most part
According to the wiki standard issue rifles, AK-74s, are in 5.45, same as the standard issue Russian rifles. Some 5.45 Tavors in service. 7.62x39 rifles, mostly AKMs, in reserve. Not sure the current status of the ARs they ordered in 7.62x39 and 5.56

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Ukrainian_Ground_Forces

I would suspect the "18,000" rifles handed out in Kyiv are reserve rifles and thus in 7.62x39
If any Russian units are running around with the older 7.62x39 rifles I have no clue but I would doubt it.

Edit: The Tavors are (mostly) in 5.45 as well.
Thing is I knew that before hand but had a brain fart while typing. Corrected
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 12:26:01 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2022, 11:42:10 AM »
I think the last US President that would have put his money where his mouth was would have been Teddy Roosevelt.

Calvin Coolidge.  Well, as long as it wasn’t during nap time.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #310 on: February 26, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »
Whoops, correction to the above. The Ukrainian Tavors are in 5.45 as well and are in fact being manufactured there.
I remember some people in bullpup forums asking if we would ever see a 5.45 Tavor here when 5.45 Tavors started showing up in Ukraine
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #311 on: February 26, 2022, 12:11:07 PM »
Which got me thinking
Are there any major 5.45x39 ammo manufacturers outside of Russian and Ukraine?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2022, 12:21:51 PM »
Any of this sound familiar?
Russia's 'dirty bomb' speculation is fake - Ukraine

Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has hit back at allegations that his government intends to detonate a dirty bomb on Russian territory.

Dirty bombs are devices that combine conventional explosives with radioactive material and are designed to kill thousands of people instantly.

Russian state TV has also been discussing the prospect in recent days and at Friday night's UN Security Council meeting Russia's ambassador Vasily Nebenzya told delegates: "We do not want Ukraine to develop a 'dirty bomb'."

In a tweet, Kuleba ridiculed the suggestion, saying: "Russian propaganda has gone off the rails."
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2022, 12:59:28 PM »
Scary part about the above is that I wouldn't put it pass either one of them doing it as a false flag.
Putin if faced with a stalemate or worse and losing support at home could do it in an attempt to rally Russian support. Ukraine for more foreign support.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2022, 01:16:07 PM »
Air raid sirens going off

LIVE: Kyiv Ukraine [Multiple View Points] #Kiev #Kyiv #Ukraine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcH7cUxXAnw
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2022, 01:55:39 PM »
Any one got the odds on when the US and NATO actually get involved in Ukraine? I honestly think Biden and his puppet masters are really that stupid.
Starting to see the propaganda pushing the narrative that Ukraine needs to be saved from the evil Putin. It's still subtle but it's there.

If we do I would expect China to move on Taiwan within 24 hours.

How *expletive deleted*ed is Eastern Europe with their dependence on Russian NG?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »
Russian commanders frustrated by slow advance - US official

Russian commanders are becoming increasingly frustrated by the slow speed of their advance through Ukraine and are starting to face logistical issues, a senior US defence official says.

It appears Moscow did not supply its troops with sufficient fuel, and commanders have been forced to adjust their plans as a result, the official told the Reuters news agency.

Videos on social media on Saturday appeared to show Russian tanks stalling in parts of Ukraine.

You can watch one of the encounters below, which the BBC has geolocated to a highway near Sumy in eastern Ukraine. In the video, a man can be heard offering the apparently stranded soldiers "a tow back to Russia".

:rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2022, 02:04:15 PM »
On a related note to the above.
Someone in the chat on one of the live feeds keeps urging Ukrainians to attack Russian supply trucks.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2022, 02:16:45 PM »
Germany now shipping SAMs and anti-tank weapons to Ukraine
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2022, 02:32:15 PM »
Why in the %$^ did NATO not say "We have no interest in admitting Ukraine as a member"? 

Could this have avoided this?

How would it help us to be committed to defending another country?

We do not need any more wars to help foreigners.

I am for sending them arms if they will use them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2022, 02:55:17 PM »
Germany now shipping SAMs and anti-tank weapons to Ukraine

Well that's an interesting change of policy. I need to jump over to the kraut news sites and see what they're saying.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2022, 03:54:37 PM »
Why in the %$^ did NATO not say "We have no interest in admitting Ukraine as a member"? 

Budapest Memorandum.
 It could be we are committed to defending Ukraine, Clinton/Yeltsin and some English bloke I cannot recall signed an agreement to keep
Ukraine sovereign if they give up the nukes.
This is a quagmire, if I was more prepared, I would be all for US going and all for ww3 - but i do not have enough resources currently for my road warrior post apocalyptic warlord plans.
if we do not help out, we/Clinton lied to the Ukrainians - if we do help out - Russia slips a few EMP's into the atmosphere and I resort to getting a shopping cart kitted out with various guns and sleeping bags and head south next winter ... you know ... like that movie/book
The Road
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2022, 04:28:55 PM »
Well that's an interesting change of policy. I need to jump over to the kraut news sites and see what they're saying.

Now France and the Netherlands
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2022, 04:38:10 PM »

Considering all the corruption that people know about, I am kind of wondering if there was more stuff going on that we did not know about, perhaps some intended to undermine Putin.  I haven't heard anything, just speculating.  Thinking about the Benghazi debacle. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2022, 04:45:02 PM »
From my perspective here in Texas (what that is worth), it seems to me the worst outcome for the nations within reach of Putin is a quick victory.  If it is a long and painful fight, win or lose, Putin won't be so likely to flex his military power in other directions.  At this point, the Ukrainians are fighting so it makes sense to help them out.  Just my two cents. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge