Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133508 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2022, 11:38:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXDefDi-iYo#t=8m42s

"The one with the rifle shoots!  The one without follows him!  When the one with the rifle gets killed, the one who is following picks up the rifle and shoots!"

You're not the only one who thought of that.  ;)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2022, 11:48:02 AM »
Was that with fake machine guns?  They should still have had plenty of 1903 rifles.  I wonder how much of that was political theatre trying to lobby for more funding. 

I believe so. IIRC also using logs as anti-tank guns
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2022, 11:55:00 AM »
Getting hit hard even before the sanctions

Forbes estimated on Thursday that 116 billionaires had already lost more than $126bn since 16 February, and Russia's richest man, Vladimir Potanin, personally lost $3bn in a single day's trading last week. Since then, the economic picture has worsened.

Two Russian oligarchs call for end of Ukraine invasion
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60542877
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2022, 11:59:50 AM »
Reports the Ukrainians on that island are alive

Ukrainian soldiers who were reportedly attacked on Zmiinyi (Snake) island are still alive, according to a statement posted on Facebook

by Ukraine's naval services.

"We are very happy to learn that our brothers are alive and well," the statement posted on Monday said.

The sailors "rebuked twice the attacks of the Russian invaders," but could no longer continue to protect the island, the statement continued.

Connection with the island was completely cut off and attempts to reach the sailors futile, after Russian armed forces destroyed its infrastructure, the navy said.

On Friday we reported how Ukraine was honouring 13 soldiers it said were killed while defending the island from Russian attacks.

Captured Ukrainian marines and guards alive - Navy
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #404 on: February 28, 2022, 01:10:47 PM »
https://www.naval-technology.com/news/turkey-ban-warships-black-sea/

Turkey is set to implement parts of an international pact that would potentially ban Russian warships from entering the Black Sea through a key transit point.

According to a Reuters report, Turkey said that the situation in Ukraine has turned into a ‘war’. This recognition will enable the country to prevent warships from accessing the Black Sea through Dardanelles and Bosphorus straits.

In an interview with broadcaster CNN Turk, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said: “It is not a couple of air strikes now, the situation in Ukraine is officially a war. We will implement the Montreux Convention.”

The 1936 Montreux Convention enables Turkey to prevent naval ships not based in Black Sea from entering during war or other specific circumstances.

Interesting turn of phrase.  I can see Putin declaring "all Russian naval vessels are based in the Black Sea, effective immediately."

- Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #405 on: February 28, 2022, 01:39:57 PM »
https://www.naval-technology.com/news/turkey-ban-warships-black-sea/

Interesting turn of phrase.  I can see Putin declaring "all Russian naval vessels are based in the Black Sea, effective immediately."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_Fleet

The Black Sea Fleet is the third largest of the Russian Navy, behind only the Northern Fleet and the Pacific Fleet.  They are plenty to control that little pond.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #406 on: February 28, 2022, 04:08:43 PM »
Went to Total Wine & More and picked up some Ukrainian Vodka and Brandy.
They pulled all the Russian stuff off the shelves.

Would it be ironic to make Black Russians with the vodka?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #407 on: February 28, 2022, 04:30:12 PM »
Three-quarters of Russian troops committed now inside Ukraine, Pentagon says

The US Defence Department says that almost 75% of the Russian forces assembled on Ukraine's borders are now inside the country.

The main advance of troops is now positioned about 25 km from the capital Kyiv, roughly a 5 km gain since Sunday.

Soldiers have yet to capture two key cities: Kharkiv in the northeast and Mariupol in the South.

As Western officials have previously noted, troops are not making the progress they had planned due to logistical issues and fierce resistance by Ukrainian fighters.

“They're using pretty much everything that they have in their arsenal, from small arms all the way up to surface to air missiles to try to slow down the Russians,” a senior US defence official said.

The official said the US has not seen any indications yet of specific Russian movements with regard to President Putin's nuclear deterrence announcement on Sunday.

The Pentagon is also yet to see Belarusian forces moving to provide backup to the Russians.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #408 on: February 28, 2022, 04:39:09 PM »
Interesting.  I am kind of curious how long of a fight Russia planned for. 

I heard someone say yesterday they thought Russia had a few objectives that may not involve taking over the Ukraine and may at some point decide he has completed them and pull out.  I will believe it when I see it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #409 on: February 28, 2022, 05:06:37 PM »
Looks like the Russians are about to hit Kyiv hard

Huge Russian convoy advances on Kyiv
The images show the 17-mile long convoy advancing on Kyiv
MaxarCopyright: Maxar
The images show the 17-mile long convoy advancing on KyivImage caption: The images show the 17-mile long convoy advancing on Kyiv

Newly released satellite imagery show a massive convoy of Russian armour descending on Kyiv.

Pictures taken on Monday, before noon in Ukraine, show Russian military units near Antonov airport, about 27km (17 miles) from the centre of the capital.

According to Maxar Technologies, the satellite-imaging company that released the photos, the convoy is nearly 17 miles long (27km) and "contains hundreds of armoured vehicles, tanks, towed artillery and logistics support vehicles".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #410 on: February 28, 2022, 05:52:20 PM »
Beer prices may increase due to Ukraine invasion
A significant percentage of barley used for beer comes from Ukraine
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/beer-prices-increase-ukraine-invasion

- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #411 on: February 28, 2022, 06:22:56 PM »
Beer prices may increase due to Ukraine invasion
A significant percentage of barley used for beer comes from Ukraine
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/beer-prices-increase-ukraine-invasion

War is hell.
                         - Barack Obama

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #412 on: February 28, 2022, 06:27:41 PM »
War is hell.

Whenever I read this I hear the comment as Harry Welsh said it to Dick Winters in Band of Brothers.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2022, 07:40:30 PM »
REAKING
Russian convoy 'stretches up to 40 miles'
Satellite imagery company Maxar Technology says that earlier reports indicating the column of Russian armour advancing on Kyiv is 17 miles (27km) long are inaccurate.

The convoy actually stretches about 40 miles, according to Maxar.

The company added that new images also show ground troops and attack helicopters in southern Belarus, less than 20 miles from the Ukraine border.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2022, 08:05:52 PM »
Time for a little Ukrainian vodka.
And I don't even like vodka.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #415 on: February 28, 2022, 08:09:27 PM »
I don't know how this is going to turn out but I do know a lot of people have and are going to die. A toast to all of them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 09:41:26 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #416 on: February 28, 2022, 08:38:35 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #417 on: February 28, 2022, 09:26:06 PM »
I know nothing about this woman, but she apparently has credibility, and this looks like a solid assessment:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #418 on: February 28, 2022, 09:34:11 PM »
Whenever I read this I hear the comment as Harry Welsh said it to Dick Winters in Band of Brothers.
I hear it as Ted Striker in Airplane!.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #419 on: February 28, 2022, 09:35:52 PM »
General Milley Calls Russia To Warn Them Of Ukrainian Counter-Attack
https://babylonbee.com/news/general-milley-calls-russia-to-warn-them-of-ukrainian-counter-attack

Unfortunately, Milley was unable to connect with Putin, who was already on the other line with Biden.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2022, 10:14:35 PM »
My question is why are there dumbfuk politicians/political folks throwing support to the Russians. Don't claim it's miss interpreted, they knew what they were saying.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #421 on: February 28, 2022, 11:14:26 PM »
Putin's "bizarre" speech about Nazis and drug addicts running Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J55cSx8Rz_g
                         - Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #422 on: March 01, 2022, 07:50:59 AM »
Hopefully, someone or some group understand the negative ramifications of Putin's mental illness and usher Putin out of office.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #423 on: March 01, 2022, 08:11:14 AM »
Hopefully, someone or some group understand the negative ramifications of Putin's mental illness and usher Putin out of office.

I've been hoping the military would turn on him.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #424 on: March 01, 2022, 08:12:18 AM »
Looks like the ruskies have broken out both the Sardaukar Chechens and the thermobaric weapons.

I wasn't really familiar with thermobaric weapons so did some research. Apparently they can basically vaporize people within some diameter of the blast zone and create some slower acting internal damage well outside the blast zone. They are using not just thermobaric bombs, but man portable thermobarics as well. The news is calling it a war crime, however I read that we used them at various times in the ME over the last 30ish years, as well as Vietnam, so we might not want to be throwing stones in the glass house.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."