Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131017 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #425 on: March 01, 2022, 08:45:39 AM »
Zelensky asking for Ukraine to be admitted into the EU.
Can you say WW-III?
Stay tuned.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #426 on: March 01, 2022, 08:53:06 AM »
Looks like the ruskies have broken out both the Sardaukar Chechens and the thermobaric weapons.

I wasn't really familiar with thermobaric weapons so did some research. Apparently they can basically vaporize people within some diameter of the blast zone and create some slower acting internal damage well outside the blast zone. They are using not just thermobaric bombs, but man portable thermobarics as well. The news is calling it a war crime, however I read that we used them at various times in the ME over the last 30ish years, as well as Vietnam, so we might not want to be throwing stones in the glass house.

I was under the impression the MOAB our military used in Afghanistan was a thermobaric bomb.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #427 on: March 01, 2022, 09:08:56 AM »
I was under the impression the MOAB our military used in Afghanistan was a thermobaric bomb.

Actually no, the MOAB isn't a fuel air explosive, it's just a really big bomb.

The US does have several FAE (a type of thermobaric weapons) in our inventory that we have used in the GWOT.  Bombs, Cluster bombs, rockets, and I think we even had an FAE round for the M203.  It might have been a Mk-19 only, but I know I've seen 40mm FAE rounds.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #428 on: March 01, 2022, 09:19:30 AM »
Actually no, the MOAB isn't a fuel air explosive, it's just a really big bomb.

The US does have several FAE (a type of thermobaric weapons) in our inventory that we have used in the GWOT.  Bombs, Cluster bombs, rockets, and I think we even had an FAE round for the M203.  It might have been a Mk-19 only, but I know I've seen 40mm FAE rounds.
GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-mother-of-all-bombs-that-the-u-s-just-dropped-on-afghanistan/
“When they blow up, they blast fuel into the air,” Priest explains. “That fuel atomizes. Then there’s a secondary explosion that lights the fuel that’s been atomized.”
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #429 on: March 01, 2022, 09:21:51 AM »
I am pretty sure we have used thermobaric bombs in Afghanistan to blow up caves thought to be housing Taliban.  I have heard there are RPG type weapons with thermobaric warheads designed to be shot into structures or bunkers to kill people inside. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #430 on: March 01, 2022, 09:34:18 AM »
GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-mother-of-all-bombs-that-the-u-s-just-dropped-on-afghanistan/

Far be it for me to from me to disagree with Scientific American, but the GBU-43/B is based on the BLU-82 Daisy cutter, and uses a *expletive deleted*it ton of conventional explosives.  IIRC the Dasiy Cutter used AN and Aluminum.  The MOAB uses H-6 (I had to look that up though). 

The MOAB must be distinguished from the class of volumetric weapons, such as thermobaric weapons and fuel-air explosive weapons that have been used against fighters within cave complexes in Afghanistan.  Those use various means to create a cloud of burning particles with a wide blast radius and intense fireball.  When employed in a confined area, such as caves, thermobaric weapons can create a powerful vacuum as a secondary effect that adds to their lethality.

The MOAB is a conventional explosive weapon.  It results in an initial fireball from the explosion and a subsequent pressure wave caused by the creation of large quantities of gases at high temperatures.

I am pretty sure we have used thermobaric bombs in Afghanistan to blow up caves thought to be housing Taliban.  I have heard there are RPG type weapons with thermobaric warheads designed to be shot into structures or bunkers to kill people inside. 

We have a thermobaric version of the SMAW. I had a couple on the boat for frisky IRGNs.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #431 on: March 01, 2022, 09:40:38 AM »
Far be it for me to from me to disagree with Scientific American, but the GBU-43/B is based on the BLU-82 Daisy cutter, and uses a *expletive deleted*it ton of conventional explosives.  IIRC the Dasiy Cutter used AN and Aluminum.  The MOAB uses H-6 (I had to look that up though). 

Almost shocked 3/4s of that "Scientific" "American" article wasn't about the bomb's effect on climate change
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #432 on: March 01, 2022, 09:52:16 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #433 on: March 01, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »

We have a thermobaric version of the SMAW. I had a couple on the boat for frisky IRGNs.
Thanks.  I was thinking it was a fuel air bomb, but most of the links stopped short of saying that.  I guess that is why.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #434 on: March 01, 2022, 11:41:11 AM »
Some clarity on that massive Russian armoured column heading south towards Kyiv.

Close analysis of the latest satellite images by McKenzie Intelligence Services reveals the following:

The convoy is not 40 miles long, it’s a series of logistical ‘packets’ strung out along a major highway from the Belarus border, aiming to link up with Russian units on the northern outskirts of Kyiv.
    The convoy appears to be hampered in several places by broken down vehicles.
    The column consists of some armour (tanks) and infantry fighting vehicles but mainly logistical vehicles, implying plans for more than just a brief battle.

Separately, the imagery examined by McKenzie Intelligence Services shows a Russian parachute battalion dug in to the area of Hostomel airfield - Ukraine's most important international cargo airport and a key military airbase near Kyiv.

But their artillery is assessed to be outside the range of most of the capital.

The analysts say they have noted very little Russian progress over the past 24 hours.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60542877
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #435 on: March 01, 2022, 11:44:20 AM »
I hope the Ukrainians slaughter that logistics column.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2022, 12:09:07 PM »

Let's hope that they do it in a manner that doesn't add to the world's carbon footprint and doesn't enhance global warming.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #437 on: March 01, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »
I am curious what security they have along the route to keep infantry from attacking the trucks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #438 on: March 01, 2022, 12:12:59 PM »
In case anyone isn't watching...

WTI crude is up just $10 a barrel today, now sitting at $105 and it's showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. Brent is about $1 a barrel higher.

Seems like the perfect time to push wind and solar. That will bring oil prices down in a matter if minutes!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #439 on: March 01, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »
Javelin missiles have a 2.5km range, so that's an indication of how far out the Ivans have to push their security perimeter.

Let's hope that they do it in a manner that doesn't add to the world's carbon footprint and doesn't enhance global warming.

Hey K Frame, check your security settings - I think John Kerry may have hacked your account.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #440 on: March 01, 2022, 12:19:52 PM »

WTI crude is up just $10 a barrel today, now sitting at $105 and it's showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. Brent is about $1 a barrel higher.

Seems like the perfect time to push wind and solar. That will bring oil prices down in a matter if minutes!

Actually they are in effect doing just that

Ukraine war shows fossil fuels are dead - UN chief

Justin Rowlatt

Climate editor
Russian workers assembling gas pipeline
ReutersCopyright: Reuters

The war in Ukraine should encourage the world to accelerate the switch to renewable energy, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has said.

His message comes as the UN issues its bleakest assessment yet of how climate change is affecting the world.

"Fossil fuels are a dead end," Guterres said.

The UN chief said the conflict in Ukraine shows continuing to rely on fossil fuels "makes the global economy and energy security vulnerable to geopolitical shocks and crises".

He added that a "prompt, well-managed transition to renewables" is the only pathway to energy security and the green jobs the world needs.

A quarter of the European Union's petroleum oil imports come from Russia, along with almost half its gas.

The irony that European nations are effectively paying for the war in Ukraine has not been lost on the continent's leaders.

The panic that Putin's actions caused in energy markets has only increased the profits Russia makes by driving up the price we all pay for energy - which is one reason we are already seeing a dramatic pivot to alternative supplies.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #441 on: March 01, 2022, 12:51:47 PM »

I think AOC is teaching them economics. Press Sec said that the US ramping up oil production will not change the price.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #442 on: March 01, 2022, 01:00:52 PM »
I think AOC is teaching them economics. Press Sec said that the US ramping up oil production will not change the price.

Yep, and that harkens right back to my comments that Democrats don't care about high oil and gas prices or pump pain for Americans because they WANT American to be punished for proving that St. Barak was wrong when he said you can't drill your way to lower gas prices.

How DARE they prove him wrong!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #443 on: March 01, 2022, 01:15:41 PM »
It would be nice if both the western globalists installed to run Ukraine and KGB Putin lost.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #444 on: March 01, 2022, 03:46:12 PM »

Well, I guess I'm doing my part against the ruskies. BP pulled all their Russian operations, and my BP stock tanked.

And yes, Psaki has been doing nothing but pushing wind and solar and she also brought up that it was "big oil" that stopped Keystone and it was "big oil's" fault that we're not drilling and becoming energy independent. Also that it is big business buying all the Russian oil right now, and the US government can't do anything about that.

I mean, all those domestic leases are sitting there waiting to be drilled! What's stopping these selfish corporations from drilling tomorrow?!?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #446 on: March 01, 2022, 04:47:35 PM »
Well, I guess I'm doing my part against the ruskies. BP pulled all their Russian operations, and my BP stock tanked.

And yes, Psaki has been doing nothing but pushing wind and solar and she also brought up that it was "big oil" that stopped Keystone and it was "big oil's" fault that we're not drilling and becoming energy independent. Also that it is big business buying all the Russian oil right now, and the US government can't do anything about that.

I mean, all those domestic leases are sitting there waiting to be drilled! What's stopping these selfish corporations from drilling tomorrow?!?

They’re like the abusive boyfriend blaming the girlfriend for all the times he has to beat her.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #447 on: March 01, 2022, 05:45:35 PM »

If there was anyone in that administration I could slap across the face it would be that tranny Mark Zuckerburg looking bitch Psaki. God I hate her and her attitude a thousand times more than Biden or Harris. Hell I think I hate her more than Pelosi.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #448 on: March 01, 2022, 05:49:44 PM »
If there was anyone in that administration I could slap across the face it would be that tranny Mark Zuckerburg looking bitch Psaki. God I hate her and her attitude a thousand times more than Biden or Harris. Hell I think I hate her more than Pelosi.

So you want to date her.

=D =D =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #449 on: March 01, 2022, 05:55:12 PM »
So you want to date her.

=D =D =D

During the Obama administration, I thought she looked like a scared albino rabbit. I'm not sure what happened, tanning beds?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536