Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131139 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #450 on: March 01, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »
During the Obama administration, I thought she looked like a scared albino rabbit. I'm not sure what happened, tanning beds?

The more souls a ginger steals the darker the hue.

She has better hunting now.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #451 on: March 01, 2022, 06:35:44 PM »
Almost shocked 3/4s of that "Scientific" "American" article wasn't about the bomb's effect on climate change

Women, children and minorities affected the worst.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #452 on: March 01, 2022, 06:39:19 PM »

Let's hope that they do it in a manner that doesn't add to the world's carbon footprint and doesn't enhance global warming.

Women, children and minorities affected the worst.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #454 on: March 01, 2022, 07:43:37 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #455 on: March 01, 2022, 07:57:16 PM »
Well several of them have been shot down by the Ghost.....

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #456 on: March 01, 2022, 08:45:27 PM »
Kamala Harris explains the Ukraine/Russia conflict

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1498742845196443649

My head hurts
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #457 on: March 01, 2022, 09:13:57 PM »
Modern  jets are expensive, conscripts are cheap.
I imagine the parts and service are expensive as well as the ground crew and fuel.  Not to mention the bombs and such. 

If a few have been shot down, that only increases the cost. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #458 on: March 01, 2022, 09:29:23 PM »

My head hurts

Spoken like a six-year-old.

The sad thing is: that's probably all she knows about Ukraine.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #461 on: March 01, 2022, 11:55:49 PM »

My head hurts
About as profound as when DeGaulle said "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Or when Keppel Enderberry asserted that "Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from overseas.”
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #462 on: March 02, 2022, 08:16:34 AM »
Think we've entered the "now it gets nasty" phase.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #463 on: March 02, 2022, 09:08:53 AM »
Heard a rumor from one of the talking heads that the Russian conscripts invading Ukraine aren't happy about it - some have allegedly poked holes in their vehicle fuel tanks so they'd run out of gas and not be able to proceed forward.

If true, I have to wonder - does the current Russian army have any current equivalent to the zampolits - political officers - of the Soviet era? You know, the ones who'd shoot the occasional malcontent, just to keep the others on their toes?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #464 on: March 02, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »
About as profound as when DeGaulle said "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Or when Keppel Enderberry asserted that "Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from overseas.”
To me, you can interpret two ways:  "She doesn't know anything about the You Crane" or "She thinks her audience is so stupid that she has to dumb it down to kindergarten level".  Neither is a good thing.  If Biden dropped out as President, I think she would actually be a worse President which is not an easy thing to do. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #465 on: March 02, 2022, 09:58:29 AM »
To me, you can interpret two ways:  "She doesn't know anything about the You Crane" or "She thinks her audience is so stupid that she has to dumb it down to kindergarten level".  Neither is a good thing.  If Biden dropped out as President, I think she would actually be a worse President which is not an easy thing to do.
At least with Biden there's someone behind him pulling his strings who is competent in their own way, although I'm 180 degrees away from them on almost every issue.

With Kamala, I'm not sure she'd listen to anyone else, so what you see is what we'd get. I see her as lazy, vacillating, and indecisive, which is much worse for a POTUS than a competent (or semi-competent) person pulling the strings on the person Elon Musk described as a wet sock puppet.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #466 on: March 02, 2022, 10:13:08 AM »
Russian primary school children detained for anti-war protest

Gabriel Gatehouse

BBC Newsnight

When I saw reports and photographs on Tuesday suggesting that primary school children had been arrested by police in Moscow for laying flowers at the Ukrainian embassy and holding signs saying “No to war” I refused to believe it was real.

But now it has been confirmed by the Nobel prize-winning newspaper Novaya Gazeta. In an update the newspaper says the children have since been released.

The images show the children with officers behind metal bars, perhaps in a police vehicle, and then in a police station, holding their flowers and placards.

The Kremlin appears to be taking increasingly draconian measures to try to keep a grip on its war narrative.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60582327
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #467 on: March 02, 2022, 10:13:53 AM »
As I said in another thread
Putin may be having his Ceaușescu moment soon.
What worriers me the most about that is what is he willing to take with him
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #468 on: March 02, 2022, 11:09:09 AM »
Russia wants to reinstate fugitive Ukrainian leader - report

Russia wants to declare former Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych - ousted during anti-government protests in 2013-14 - as the new leader of Ukraine, the Ukrayinska Pravda news and analysis website has reported, quoting Ukrainian intelligence.

Yanukovych is now in Minsk, according to the Ukrainian website's source. He fled to Russia in 2014.

The Kremlin may be preparing a media operation or campaign to bring Yanukovych back to Ukraine, or publish an address from him to the Ukrainian people, the newspaper said.

In January the UK said Moscow was plotting to install a pro-Moscow figure to lead Ukraine's government.

The Foreign Office named former Ukrainian MP Yevhen Murayev as a potential Kremlin candidate.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60582327/page/2
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #469 on: March 02, 2022, 11:13:43 AM »
Heard a rumor from one of the talking heads that the Russian conscripts invading Ukraine aren't happy about it - some have allegedly poked holes in their vehicle fuel tanks so they'd run out of gas and not be able to proceed forward.

Saw a video interview with a Russian POW who said his superiors told him they were on a training exercise.  Lying to your men is a great way to damage morale.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #470 on: March 02, 2022, 11:17:03 AM »
Saw a video interview with a Russian POW who said his superiors told him they were on a training exercise.  Lying to your men is a great way to damage morale.

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #471 on: March 02, 2022, 12:42:02 PM »
At least with Biden there's someone behind him pulling his strings who is competent in their own way, although I'm 180 degrees away from them on almost every issue.

With Kamala, I'm not sure she'd listen to anyone else, so what you see is what we'd get. I see her as lazy, vacillating, and indecisive, which is much worse for a POTUS than a competent (or semi-competent) person pulling the strings on the person Elon Musk described as a wet sock puppet.
I am not entirely sure someone is pulling Biden's strings.  His appointees are sort of doing what they want, but I am not sure anyone but Biden is actually making decisions at the top.  I think we would see more coherent leadership if that was happening. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #472 on: March 02, 2022, 12:59:34 PM »
I figured Georgia would lay low in all of this but they just did a big "Hey, look at me!"

Georgia to apply to join EU immediately - ruling party

Georgia - a former Soviet state on the eastern shore of the Black Sea - will "immediately" apply for EU membership, its ruling party Georgian Dream says.

It comes a day after the European Parliament backed Ukraine's bid to apply for EU membership.

Georgian Dream's Chairman Irakli Kobakhidze told reporters he was calling on the EU "to review our application in an urgent manner and to make the decision to grant Georgia the status of an EU membership candidate".

Georgia has seen big demonstrations against the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Russia has controlled two Georgian regions - South Ossetia and Abkhazia - since 2008, when Russian forces ousted Georgian troops from them.

It followed a Georgian attempt to recapture South Ossetia, which had fought a separatist war against Georgia in the 1990s.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60582327
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #473 on: March 02, 2022, 01:15:31 PM »
The (second to) last thing I want to see from this is strengthening of the EU.  To hell with the EU.

The EU was a mistake from the get-go.  It's already got problems with PIGS, it needs to sort out its productivity/revenue/currency printing problems with member states before allowing any more to enter.

The EU isn't going to protect Ukraine or Georgia.  NATO membership certainly will though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2022, 01:44:36 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.