Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131100 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #500 on: March 03, 2022, 08:28:27 AM »
Whoops. I thought I pasted in the link.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2022, 08:33:04 AM »
I think Konanykhin is just virtue signaling.  It's a start, though.  Maybe someone else will be inspired to take a risk.  In my opinion it will take a much more influential oligarch, still living in Russia and putting up a much bigger bounty, to get anyone to actually go after Putin.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #502 on: March 03, 2022, 08:35:24 AM »
A Russian Oligarch has put a $1 million bounty on Putin -- dead or alive.

Bit of a cheapskate, I think. He's a freaking oligarch. He can up that to $10 or $100 million without breaking a sweat. And that might get some response.

Maybe he thinks Putin will considered only 1 million as an insult.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #503 on: March 03, 2022, 08:59:40 AM »
Someone commented that on the bright side there's going to lots of hot Ukrainian women looking for husbands.
Hey, I didn't make the comment.

But I would be willing to take one in. It's the least I can do to help out.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #504 on: March 03, 2022, 12:28:24 PM »
I've seen a number of stories purporting to show Russian convoys obliterated by Ukrainians, stories of Russian soldiers deserting and abandoning their equipment, Russians refusing orders to shell cities, Ukrainians asking for bombs for their aircraft (implying the UAF is still flying), Russian conscripts never being told they were attacking Ukraine, and all manner of other encouraging news.

BUT - as they say, in war the first casualty is the truth. Can't believe something just because you LIKE it and HOPE that it's true.

About the only thing that's probably true is that the Russians are getting more resistance than they expected. Where the needle is on the resistance gauge - I don't know.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #505 on: March 03, 2022, 12:51:32 PM »
Someone commented that on the bright side there's going to lots of hot Ukrainian women looking for husbands.
Hey, I didn't make the comment.

But I would be willing to take one in. It's the least I can do to help out.

So you are saying that Ben could have another bite at the Ukrainian apple after HUC?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #506 on: March 03, 2022, 01:06:19 PM »
Heeeeeere's Putin!
Russia's operation 'going according to plan' - Putin

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said his "special military operation" - otherwise known as Russia's invasion of Ukraine - is "going according to plan".

His claim comes despite many analysts suggesting the invasion has not gone to plan.

In a televised speech, he accused Ukrainian forces of taking "thousands of foreign citizens hostage" and using civilians as "human shields" - he provided no evidence for these claims.

He added that Russians and Ukrainians were "one people" and said he would "destroy this 'anti-Russia' created by the West".
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60582327

"Russians and Ukrainians were one people"
Yeah..... The Ukrainians would like to have a word with you on that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #507 on: March 03, 2022, 01:23:01 PM »
Meanwhile he seems to be losing support of some big players

Second-biggest Russian oil producer calls for end to war

Russia's second-largest oil producer Lukoil is calling for an end to the conflict in Ukraine.

In a statement on its website, the company said it was concerned by the "tragic events in Ukraine" and supported the negotiations to end the conflict.

Its board called for "the immediate cessation of the armed conflict and fully supports its resolution through the negotiation process and through diplomatic means".

The company is thought to be one of the first major Russian firms to speak out against the invasion.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #508 on: March 03, 2022, 01:26:56 PM »
So you are saying that Ben could have another bite at the Ukrainian apple after HUC?

Ukrainian women are hot-blooded, which sounds hot, but it's also very dangerous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #509 on: March 03, 2022, 01:32:47 PM »
HUC?
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #510 on: March 03, 2022, 02:27:15 PM »
HUC?

Ben often spoke of his Hot Ukrainian Coworker.  Her pictures confirmed this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #511 on: March 03, 2022, 02:28:23 PM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #512 on: March 03, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »
Ben often spoke of his Hot Ukrainian Coworker.  Her pictures confirmed this.

Pictures or it’s not real…… :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #513 on: March 03, 2022, 04:02:25 PM »
Ukraine conflict: Drone shows extent of damage in Borodyanka
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60608706
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2022, 04:26:08 PM »
This will stop Putin

Russian cats banned from competitions

An international cat federation has said it's banning all Russian cats from entering its competitions.

In a statement on its website the Fédération Internationale Féline said it was "horrified" by Russia's invasion of Ukraine and had subsequently decided to disallow Russian cats from competing in its competitions, which take place around the world.

As well as this, it said that no cats bred in Russia would be allowed to be registered with its organisation outside of Russia.

The rules will be in place until the end of May, when they will be reviewed.

It added that it would dedicate a part of its budget to support cat breeders in Ukraine who are suffering because of the current situation.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #515 on: March 03, 2022, 05:13:28 PM »
https://thefederalist.com/2022/02/28/the-right-loves-putin-and-other-lies-the-media-tell-about-trump-and-russia/

...like the time Trump called him a “master tactician.” Wait, sorry. That was actually how The New York Times itself described the Russian president in mid-February. And also in October 2020.

But Tamkin could have mentioned the time Tucker Carlson said in a monologue that there was a legitimate argument as to “whether Mr. Putin’s grievances had bases in fact, whether the United States and its allies were too cavalier in expanding NATO, [and] whether Russia was justified in believing that its security was compromised.” My bad. That was also the Times on Feb. 23.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #516 on: March 03, 2022, 05:17:27 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #517 on: March 03, 2022, 05:28:59 PM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #518 on: March 03, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »
I wonder how many people will contribute to this?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-gun-drive-ukraine-russia-war

I know I wouldn't. I doubt there is any legal or logistical way to get the firearms to Ukraine. They'll collect them from various suckers, then "discover" that they can't ship them, then destroy them "for safety" rather than give them back to their rightful owners. I'm more inclined to think this is a back door gun grab.

I like the idea, in theory, of donating a gun, but even if they got there, then the people on the ground are dealing with who knows how many calibers that aren't available in Ukraine. If I knew 100% it would get into the hands of a Ukrainian citizen, I'd happily donate my SKS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2022, 06:45:29 PM »
I have 6 Russian made rifles.
I have zero confident even one of them would make it there.
More than likely they would all be chucked into a dem run crusher.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2022, 06:48:57 PM »
I have 6 Russian made rifles.

Besides the SKS, I have a few Mosins, but donating them would kinda be giving whatever Ukrainians got them the middle finger.  =D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2022, 07:04:26 PM »
Explosions and fighting at one of Europe largest nuclear power plants.

Currently on a live feed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14cRHLb-bU
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
Warnings issued over nuclear plant safety
Enerhodar's nuclear cooling towers, pictured before the war
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
Enerhodar's nuclear cooling towers, pictured before the warImage caption: Enerhodar's nuclear cooling towers, pictured before the war

Wladimir Klitschko, the champion boxer and brother of the Kyiv mayor, has said that Ukraine's nuclear plants are being threatened by the Russian invasion, warning of a potential repeat of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

Earlier, we reported fierce shelling in Enerhodar, in south-eastern Ukraine, the home of one of Europe's largest nuclear plants.

The local mayor has already warned that there is no water supply or electricity in the town, due to the onslaught.

Klitschko tweeted today: "Ukraine has 4 nuclear power plants and Russian army is shooting rockets and bombing right next to it. Don’t look away, STOP Russian invasion NOW!!!"

The International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Rafael Grossi in a statement today called on all the military forces operating around Enerhodar to refrain from violence near the plant.

On Wednesday, he said the country’s nuclear power plants "must be able to continue operating without any safety or security threats. Any accident caused as a result of the military conflict could have extremely serious consequences for people and the environment, in Ukraine and beyond".

Russian forces seized control of the shuttered Chernobyl nuclear power plant about a week ago. Ukrainian officials reported radiation levels had been "exceeded" in a number of places in the area at the time, but Russia said that was not the case.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2022, 07:21:56 PM »
Buildings on fire.
This could be Chernobyl x10 if it gets out of hand.
Time for some vodka
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #524 on: March 03, 2022, 07:33:28 PM »
Buildings on fire.
This could be Chernobyl x10 if it gets out of hand.
Time for some vodka

One hopes they have better safety systems and a less dangerous design than Chernobyl had.  I could definitely see a TMI level problem.  I’d hope that Chernobyl level problems, let alone worse, wouldn’t be able to happen.  At least not without deliberate action to make it that bad.