Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131018 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #625 on: March 05, 2022, 09:24:02 AM »
Don't get me wrong folks, I'm no fan of KGB Putin.

I'm a 50/50 ethnic mix of German/Polish and grew up during the cold war. I don't think Russia is the good guys.

It would just be nice if the west and the USA acted in such a manner where it was easier to say we are the good guys. Unfortunately our government and media went into 24 hour a day gaslighting mode.

My *expletive deleted*it detector has nearly melted down the propaganda is so thick and heavy.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
My *expletive deleted*it detector has nearly melted down the propaganda is so thick and heavy.

This is why it's enlightening to read the stories from foreign sources - even the English translations as long as the translations are done by the source. Just from reading the German news, I get some completely different perspectives. I notice that the English translations are not quite the same story, but close enough.

Not that foreign sources are immune to propaganda, but the different perspectives can be eye-opening if you're otherwise just getting the "two sides" of CNN, Fox, etc.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2022, 10:55:28 AM »
Well so much for the crease fire to get civilians out
And of course each side is blaming the other.

Only 400 evacuated from Volnovakha during short-lived ceasefire
Volnovakha
Only 400 people were evacuated from Volnovakha and nearby settlements during today's short-lived ceasefire, according to Ukrainian officials.

The initial plan was to evacuate more than 15,000 civilians from the region during the temporary ceasefire, which began at 07:00 GMT.

But regional governor Pavlo Kyrylenko said: "Although we had the intention and necessary transport to evacuate a lot more people, we had to stop the movement of the column, because the Russians once again started shelling Volnovakha mercilessly, and it was very dangerous to move there."

Another evacuation, due to take place from the larger city of Mariupol, was also halted
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2022, 11:38:19 AM »
Oh My

Americans: We can endure higher prices for food and gas if it means putting the screws to Putin. Consider it a patriotic donation in the fight for freedom over tyranny.

— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) March 4, 2022

We probably wouldn't be having to endure higher prices if anyone in the  Biden admin had half a clue. But that's okay, I'm sure a Hollywood elite like you will do just fine.

George Takei says Americans should consider paying higher gas and food prices to be a ‘patriotic donation in the fight for freedom’ (and people have thoughts)
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/03/05/george-takei-says-americans-should-consider-paying-higher-gas-and-food-prices-to-be-a-patriotic-donation-in-the-fight-for-freedom-and-people-have-thoughts/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »
Amazing, I have been making patriotic donations the past couple years and I didn’t even know that Putin was going to launch an invasion.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #630 on: March 05, 2022, 12:32:54 PM »
This is why it's enlightening to read the stories from foreign sources - even the English translations as long as the translations are done by the source. Just from reading the German news, I get some completely different perspectives. I notice that the English translations are not quite the same story, but close enough.

Not that foreign sources are immune to propaganda, but the different perspectives can be eye-opening if you're otherwise just getting the "two sides" of CNN, Fox, etc.

If you want to see BS propaganda and people trying to start crazy rumors in every flavor start reading some of the chats attached to many YT live feeds.  [barf]
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #631 on: March 05, 2022, 12:46:31 PM »
Putin's excuse in 2014 was that he was "protecting" Russian-speaking citizens of Ukraine from unspeakable harm.

Which was bovine excrement. I remember reading articles by people living there who said there was no enmity between/among the Ukrainian speakers and the Russian speakers. One article I remember in particular was by a woman who said she spoke Ukrainian and her neighbor spoke Russian, and the two languages were similar enough that they just conversed normally.

Putin and the Kremlin created the pro-Russian separatist movements in the Crimea and in the Donbass region, and then used "protecting" the separatists as a pretext for the invasion.

And he is using the same BS justification again: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-says-western-sanctions-are-akin-declaration-war-2022-03-05/

Putin reiterated that his aims were to defend Russian- speaking communities through the "demilitarisation and de-Nazification" of the country so that Russia's former Soviet neighbour became neutral and no longer threatened Russia.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #632 on: March 05, 2022, 01:09:33 PM »

13:01
What's the latest?

If you are just joining us, here are the main developments so far today:

A ceasefire agreed between Russia and Ukraine - to allow civilians to leave the Ukrainian cities of Mariupol and Volnovakha - has fallen apart, just hours after it was announced

Vladimir Putin has warned the West that any country imposing a no-fly zone over Ukraine will be considered to have joined the war
    The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) has warned that the number of Ukrainian refugees could soon exceed 1.5m people
    Zara is closing all 500 of its stores in Russia, while Samsung and PayPal are suspending activities in the country
    More than £85m has been raised in the UK in just two days to provide help for Ukraine

Russia's national airline Aeroflot has cancelled nearly all international flights from 8 March, because of "additional circumstances" impeding its operations
    Anti-war protests are taking place across the world including in London, Bangkok, Switzerland and Kherson - the only Ukrainian city occupied by Russia so far
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60532634
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #633 on: March 05, 2022, 01:34:46 PM »
B-52s taking part in close air support training over Romania:

https://gazette.com/news/us-b-52-bombers-fly-over-nato-territory-neighboring-ukraine/article_edd45ae8-ab66-51ab-9ff0-69fd327076a4.html

Strictly a training exercise, I'm sure.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #634 on: March 05, 2022, 01:37:37 PM »
a training exercise,

Putin two weeks ago
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #635 on: March 05, 2022, 01:38:28 PM »
At least one Russian soldier in Ukraine is carrying a scoped Mosin-Nagant:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Russian-troops-are-using-Mosin-Nagants-in-Ukraine/5-2535140/?
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #636 on: March 05, 2022, 01:45:24 PM »
On a couple feeds they were remarking that nearly all of the destroyed and captured equipment seen so far is old Soviet era stuff and virtually none of the newer post SU stuff. Speculation is Putin is letting the older "expendable" stuff that was headed to the scrap yard anyway take the brunt of the early assaults and soften up the Ukrainians  while holding the newer $$$$$ stuff in reserve to be sent in if needed and to deal with NATO if they happen to show up.
Could explain why so many broken down vehicles are being reported seen in the convoy.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #637 on: March 05, 2022, 02:25:28 PM »
At least one Russian soldier in Ukraine is carrying a scoped Mosin-Nagant:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Russian-troops-are-using-Mosin-Nagants-in-Ukraine/5-2535140/?

I wonder if they're giving those to the latest conscripts? I can't remember if it was higher up the page here or somewhere else that I read Putin is only having his professional soldiers do the fighting and that the current conscripts are more in support roles. It would make sense to give them the WW2 rifles if the ruskies are short on the modern stuff.

Related, I saw on the news this morning that one of the big US ammo companies (I forgot who) is sending a million rounds to Ukraine. They didn't talk about calibers. It's being done through proper gov channels, with that one Ukrainian born congresswoman as an intermediary.

Oh - I just looked and here's a story from three days ago, and they just say, "7.62". On Fox News this morning, they indicated this was now much farther along.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nascar-richard-childress-donate-1-million-rounds-ammo-ukraine
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #638 on: March 05, 2022, 03:53:03 PM »
On a couple feeds they were remarking that nearly all of the destroyed and captured equipment seen so far is old Soviet era stuff and virtually none of the newer post SU stuff. Speculation is Putin is letting the older "expendable" stuff that was headed to the scrap yard anyway take the brunt of the early assaults and soften up the Ukrainians  while holding the newer $$$$$ stuff in reserve to be sent in if needed and to deal with NATO if they happen to show up.
Could explain why so many broken down vehicles are being reported seen in the convoy.

Or we constantly make a paper tiger out of the russians. They have no budget. How many Armata tanks do they have? I have seen russian sailors on shore leave in the states, it is clear that they have never experienced such material wealth, even with a few decades of western decadance between them and the SSR days.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #639 on: March 06, 2022, 12:12:02 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/05/us/american-veterans-volunteer-ukraine-russia.html

Hector said he hoped to train Ukrainians in his expertise: armored vehicles and heavy weapons.

“A lot of veterans, we have a calling to serve, and we trained our whole career for this kind of war,” he said. “Sitting by and doing nothing? I had to do that when Afghanistan fell apart, and it weighed heavily on me. I had to act.”

All across the United States, small groups of military veterans are gathering, planning and getting passports in order. After years of serving in smoldering occupations, trying to spread democracy in places that had only a tepid interest in it, many are hungry for what they see as a righteous fight to defend freedom against an autocratic aggressor with a conventional and target-rich army.
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #640 on: March 06, 2022, 12:15:55 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-poland-warplanes-ukraine

The United States is considering a deal with Poland to send U.S. warplanes to Warsaw to replace any Soviet-era fighter jets the NATO country sends to Ukraine.
Under the proposal, the Ukrainians would receive Russian-made MiGs that Poland inherited after the Cold War ended.
                         - Barack Obama

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #641 on: March 06, 2022, 06:30:01 AM »

Good move on Polands part as they may be next in Putins sight anyway.  Better to arm up with better technology before the madman decides his next move.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #642 on: March 06, 2022, 07:46:58 AM »
I think another member called it a couple of pages up: Besides Iran, we are also now courting Venezuela for oil. So pretty much putting the US under the Russian sphere of influence. As well as further under the Chinese sphere of influence.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #643 on: March 06, 2022, 08:13:13 AM »
I think another member called it a couple of pages up: Besides Iran, we are also now courting Venezuela for oil. So pretty much putting the US under the Russian sphere of influence. As well as further under the Chinese sphere of influence.

I was tearing into a dumbfuck liberal yesterday on Facebook. He was calling for us to buy Iranian oil, praising Keynesian economics, denigrating those of us who were opposite of him as uneducated idiots who skipped college, saying that the price of gas should be high, etc. The prospective he claimed that gave him all the clairvoyance of what was good for the US and how he knew so much more than us rubes? He was a banker.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #644 on: March 06, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/05/us/american-veterans-volunteer-ukraine-russia.html

Fox and Friends is right now interviewing a Ukrainian soldier who is in a unit that is tasked with integrating foreign fighters into the Ukrainian Foreign Legion. He estimated that they have 16K volunteers so far, and he said most of them are from the US. They are asking for a one or more year commitment.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #645 on: March 06, 2022, 09:47:48 AM »
Trump has a horrible idea about what the USA should do- though I assume he is probably joking:

Speaking of the situation in Ukraine, Trump told donors that the US should put Chinese flags on America's F-22s and then 'bomb the s***' out of Russia, leading to conflict between the nations while 'we sit back and watch.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10582503/Trump-says-let-situation-Ukraine-continue-slams-paper-tiger-NATO.html

This is a joke right?   :O

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #646 on: March 06, 2022, 09:51:17 AM »
Yes
He loves trolling the media
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #647 on: March 06, 2022, 09:52:02 AM »
Yup. As usual, the MSM took the quote out of context and turned a joke into "orange man".

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #648 on: March 06, 2022, 01:02:35 PM »

The United States is considering a deal with Poland to send U.S. warplanes to Warsaw to replace any Soviet-era fighter jets the NATO country sends to Ukraine.
Under the proposal, the Ukrainians would receive Russian-made MiGs that Poland inherited after the Cold War ended.

Just saw something that said Russia is now hitting the western airfields to counter that.
Note: Unconfirmed
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #649 on: March 06, 2022, 01:52:41 PM »
The admin nixed that idea as soon as it was brought up. Just like returning energy production to 2019 levels. We are led by idiots.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG