Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131136 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #675 on: March 07, 2022, 08:44:40 AM »
Was trying to do a quick scan and scrolled down and this popped up

Russian State TV Just Blew Up Putin’s ‘Nazi Ukraine’ Bullshit
JIG’S UP
Russian lawmakers suddenly blab what Putin actually wants in Ukraine—and it has nothing to do with “Nazis.”

Russia wants to get the band back together. They are nowhere near strong enough to make it happen. They are strong enough to stop Ukraine from slipping into the western empire.

I wasn't sure what to make of all the Nazi talk truth be told. Whenever I see Nazi I roll my eyes and ignore. It was a little bit of a shock to see that there are actual Nazi's in Ukraine.

You can go ahead and reject my article as the rantings of a pro Putin media source if you can handle the cog diss.

The Daily Beast, tool of Putin and Trump  :laugh:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #676 on: March 07, 2022, 08:57:28 AM »
The whole nazi thing is something many in the West may not understand, origin-wise. The population of Ukraine can be thought of as analogous to West/East Germany. There is a large population with strong Russian ties, and a large population with strong German ties, especially WW2 Germany. Not really nazi Germany, but more sympathetic to Germany than to Russia. In part, of course, because of the great famine.

Hot Ukrainian ex-coworker's mom, like my mom, spent time in a German refuge camp. Not long after I met her, I was shocked to hear her cussing at the copy machine at work. In German. I started to learn a bit more about Western Ukraine's historical ties to Germany. Especially related to Russia. The older people in her family spoke about Russia the same way the people of my parent's generation did. A favorite derogatory epithet of my dad's generation was "dreckiger Russe" (dirty Russian) or "schwartzer Russe" (black Russian)*. This goes back some time, historically, and part of Ukraine is part of that. Older members of HUC's family hate the Ruskies with a passion and they all think krauts are the bomb.

I've actually been surprised that much of Eastern Ukraine hasn't thrown flowers at the Russians instead of bullets, given most of the anti-Russian population has always been in the West.

*Not SJW black, but a historical designator:

https://belarus-travel.com/theconcept-of-whiterussia/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #677 on: March 07, 2022, 09:01:55 AM »
Russia wants to get the band back together. They are nowhere near strong enough to make it happen. They are strong enough to stop Ukraine from slipping into the western empire.

I wasn't sure what to make of all the Nazi talk truth be told. Whenever I see Nazi I roll my eyes and ignore. It was a little bit of a shock to see that there are actual Nazi's in Ukraine.

You can go ahead and reject my article as the rantings of a pro Putin media source if you can handle the cog diss.

The Daily Beast, tool of Putin and Trump  :laugh:

TDB will swing far left in one article then far right in the next often on the very same subject.
Occasionally they'll hit the truth in the middle on their way from one side to the other but it's usually more of a hit and run type of accident.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #678 on: March 07, 2022, 09:14:13 AM »
Ukraine I guess is the first "Nazi" country with both a Jewish president and a Jewish prime minister at the same time.
Not saying there's maybe not a Nazi here and there but like Racist the term Nazi has lost a lot of it's true meaning lately. Just flashing the okay sign will get you labeled a racist nazi nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:38:20 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #679 on: March 07, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
What's been happening so far today?

If you're just joining our live coverage, here's a round-up of the latest key developments on day 12 of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

A third round of talks is set to be held between Ukrainian and Russian negotiators from 16:00 Kyiv time (14:00 GMT), according to Ukrainian officials

A new Russian plan for a temporary ceasefire in Ukraine allowing civilians access to certain humanitarian corridors has been criticised - with the UK calling it "cynical beyond belief" and Ukraine branding it "immoral"
    Under Moscow's proposal, civilians fleeing Ukraine's capital Kyiv would be offered safe passage to Russia's ally Belarus, while those in Kharkiv will have a corridor leading only to Russia itself
    Evacuation routes from the besieged cities of Mariupol and Sumy will lead to other Ukrainian cities and to Russian ones
    Ukraine says Russian forces are targeting hospitals, nurseries and schools - and civilians have been caught up in the assault
    But Russia denies targeting civilians, saying it is carrying out a "special military operation" against Ukrainian "nationalists" and "neo-Nazis"
    Petrol prices have hit another record high as oil prices jumped to $139 a barrel while wholesale gas prices for next-day delivery more than doubled. The average price of a litre of petrol in the UK hit 155p for the first time
    It came as the US hinted at a ban on buying Russian energy, as it looked to other countries to increase supplies

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is holding talks with the Canadian and Dutch prime ministers in London, as Western powers prepare to agree further sanctions on Russia
    Amid scrutiny of the UK's policy on Ukrainian refugees, Johnson insisted the government would be "very generous" to people fleeing the country but would not let them in without any checks
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60635927
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #680 on: March 07, 2022, 09:32:08 AM »
Grain of salt mode on

Google Putin cancer and a lot of articles coming up say Putin may have terminal cancer which they say explains his pale puffy look and also why he sits so far away from everyone at the end of long table since both the cancer and treatments leave him extremely vulnerable to COVID.
I'm not necessarily buying it just making you aware

Grain of salt mode off
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #681 on: March 07, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #682 on: March 07, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #683 on: March 07, 2022, 11:13:39 AM »
I hope the Ukrainians aren't going to want that tank  [barf]
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #684 on: March 07, 2022, 06:59:31 PM »
China reportedly may get involved in talks. Wonder if the high oil prices are turning the screws on them now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #685 on: March 07, 2022, 07:53:15 PM »
Reportedly another Russian general killed

Russian military leader killed in battle, says Ukraine
Vitaly Gerasimov
Ukrainian ministry of defenceCopyright: Ukrainian ministry of defence
Ukrainian military intelligence says Vitaly Gerasimov died near KharkivImage caption: Ukrainian military intelligence says Vitaly Gerasimov died near Kharkiv

A top commander in the Russian army has been killed during fighting near Kharkiv, according to Ukraine's ministry of defence intelligence service.

The BBC cannot independently verify the claim; Russian officials have not commented.

According to a statement from Ukraine’s defence ministry, Vitaly Gerasimov was a major general, chief of staff and first deputy commander of the 41st Army of the Central Military District of Russia.

A number of senior Russian army officers were also killed and wounded, it says.

Ukrainian intelligence says Gerasimov took part in the second Chechen war and the Russian military operation in Syria. He received a medal "for the return of Crimea".

Ukrainian officials tweeted out a photo of someone they said was Gerasimov, with the word "Liquidated" in red letters across the bottom.

BBC diplomatic correspondent Paul Adams shares this thought on reports of Gerasimov's death.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60635927

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent⚡️Ukraine kills Russian Major General Vitaly Gerasimov near Kharkiv, Ukraine’s Chief Directorate of Intelligence of the Defense Ministry said.

Gerasimov was a senior military official who participated in the second Chechen war and was awarded a medal for “capturing Crimea.”
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #686 on: March 07, 2022, 10:07:39 PM »
Word is from a contributor in Kyvi to a live feed I follow is that the Russians will start moving into Kyiv in a day or two. He said he's going to try get out in the morning, taking his cat Dasha who shows up on camera from time to time with him.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #687 on: March 08, 2022, 09:20:36 AM »
Yes Virginia there are people who believe this is some sort of hoax.

Ukraine invasion: False claims the war is a hoax go viral
https://www.bbc.com/news/60589965
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #688 on: March 08, 2022, 12:55:55 PM »
So Biden is going to stop Russian oil imports now, but apparently without doing anything to increase domestic production. Brilliant!

Yes Virginia there are people who believe this is some sort of hoax.

Ukraine invasion: False claims the war is a hoax go viral
https://www.bbc.com/news/60589965
Was talking to one of those yesterday.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #689 on: March 08, 2022, 12:59:49 PM »
Was talking to one of those yesterday.  :facepalm:

Some people need to be pushed off the edge of the earth.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #690 on: March 08, 2022, 01:16:47 PM »

So Putin's claim of denazifying Ukraine is far more realistic and fact-based than the American Left's crusade against white supremacy and patriarchy. chuckle

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #691 on: March 08, 2022, 01:17:34 PM »
Some people need to be pushed off the edge of the earth.

I see what you did there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #692 on: March 08, 2022, 01:49:47 PM »
The Brandon administration is claiming that 4,000+ Russian soldiers have died in the invasion so far.

Russia has admitted to 429, last I heard.

If the 4,000 claim is close to true, that's freaking HUGE.

The Soviets lost an estimated 15,000 soldiers during the Afghanistan incursion -- and those deaths were spread out over 9 years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #693 on: March 08, 2022, 02:01:51 PM »
I think 4000 dead and the number of wounded that would go with that figure would be pretty hard to hide from the world, for either side. I think our admin is just repeating the Ukrainian's [optimistic] estimates of how many enemy they have killed.

You are correct, anywhere close to 4000 dead in a two week war would be pretty catastrophic for the Russians.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #694 on: March 08, 2022, 02:37:12 PM »
Poland to deploy all their MIG-29 jets 'at the disposal' of the US
A view of MIG-29 of Polish Air Forces at 22nd Air Base Command in Malbork, Poland on August 27, 2021.
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

Poland says it is ready to deploy, "immediately and free of charge", all its MIG-29 jets to the Ramstein Air Base in Germany and place them "at the disposal" of the US government.

In exchange, Poland asks the United States to provide them with "used aircraft with corresponding operational capabilities", and it adds that it is "ready to immediately establish the conditions of purchase of the planes".

The Polish government also requests other Nato allies - who are owners of MIG-29 jets - to act in the same vein.

The US confirmed over the weekend that it is working on a deal with Poland to supply Ukraine with jets.

It is reported to involve Poland handing over its existing MIG-29 in exchange for the US providing it with other fighter jets as replacements.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60657155
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #695 on: March 08, 2022, 02:55:30 PM »
^^^If I was the Poles, I wonder what I would be asking for in exchange.  Something along the lines of the F-16/F-15/F-18? Do the Poles have the technological infrastructure to support the F-22/F-35, and are there even any spare F-22/F-35 airframes?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #696 on: March 08, 2022, 02:57:36 PM »
I'm hearing F-16s.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #697 on: March 08, 2022, 03:00:39 PM »
Ehhhhh and that pus the US directly supplying MIG's to the Ukrainians.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #698 on: March 08, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »
Ehhhhh and that pus the US directly supplying MIG's to the Ukrainians.
We're already providing weapons directly to Ukraine, aren't we?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #699 on: March 08, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »
The Mig-29s are being traded to Venezuela for 20 barrels of oil. We're sending Kamala to Ukraine
- Calvin and Hobbes