Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 130953 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #800 on: March 11, 2022, 03:05:38 PM »
I have a deceased friend who was a US Army armor officer in West Germany back in the late 70's. He was of the opinion that a massive Soviet attack on western Europe back then would have gone tactical nuclear in short order to stop them due to the disparity in conventional arms between the Soviets and NATO.

Safe to say the majority of WP tanks were better maintained back then compared to 2022 Russia and there was far more of them as well.

Quantity is its own quality. During the 70's and 80's the Red Army had almost 5.5 million active soldiers.  In East Germany alone they had two Motor Rifle Divisions and a Tank Division.  Motor Rifles had something like 2500 combat vehicles and the 10th Guards Tank division had almost 1000 tanks.  Plus artillery support.  That is what was expected to come through Fulda.

The current Red Army doesn't have the numbers to cover for their lack of training and limited modern equipment.

I would also caution you to judge too harshly.  Lots of Americans think of the US military as what a "normal" military is supposed to be.  We were the best in the world before we spent 20 years practicing and field testing ideas.  No one else's military works like ours, warts and all.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #801 on: March 11, 2022, 03:33:02 PM »
Putin is doing so good he is bringing 16,000 merc's in from the middle east.

Either things are going so bad they need help
or
They're experienced in urban warfare after years of nasty urban warfare in Syria.
or
The Russians know going into Kyvi is going to be a slaughter and they're considered expendable. Less crying Russian mothers
or
Many Middle Easterners have often shown zero reluctance in conducting mass slaughters down to the last woman and child. It wasn't us it was those uncivilized people from the ME
or
All the above
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #802 on: March 11, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »
It's not just POTUS with mental issues.

To start chuckling when such a grave situation is under discussion and people are dying by the thousands, well, there is something wrong with this woman upstairs - she's just not right in the head.

Seriously.  :facepalm:

Racist!

The View's Sunny Hostin claims any criticism of Kamala Harris's inappropriate laughter when discussing Ukrainian refugees in Poland is "based in racism" and "that’s the truth of it."
    "What it is they constantly question the qualifications of black women," she said. pic.twitter.com/IyqePOLZOA

— Nicholas Fondacaro (@NickFondacaro) March 11, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/03/11/the-views-sunny-hostin-says-criticism-of-kamala-harris-inappropriate-cackling-habit-is-obviously-based-in-racism-video/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:27:20 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #803 on: March 11, 2022, 05:00:31 PM »
Ukraine war: Fact-checking Russia's biological weapons claims
https://www.bbc.com/news/60711705

Ukraine has dozens of public health laboratories that work to research and mitigate the threats of dangerous diseases.

Some of these labs receive financial and other support from the US, the European Union and the World Health Organization (WHO) - as is the case in many other countries.
Despite Russian claims that these are "secret" labs, details of US involvement can be found on the US embassy's website.
Additionally, the US set up its "Biological Threat Reduction Program" in the 1990s following the fall of the Soviet Union to reduce the risk from biological weapons that had been left behind in countries including Ukraine.

Under this programme certain labs receive funding from the US for modernisation and equipment, but are managed locally, not by the US.
"There are no indications that Ukrainian labs have been involved in any nefarious activity, or any research or development in contravention of the Biological Weapons Convention," says Filippa Lentzos, a biosecurity expert at King's College London.

She adds that pathogens stored at biological labs are simply bacteria and viruses, and "not blueprints or components of biological weapons".

"The reason they are kept in secure facilities is for bio-safety, so people don't make themselves sick by getting access to them."

Apparently the UN wasn't buying Russia's claims either today.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #804 on: March 11, 2022, 05:56:48 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #805 on: March 11, 2022, 10:14:02 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #806 on: March 12, 2022, 07:13:02 AM »
No particular reason....

https://youtu.be/jIuuJRbYEiU (4:03)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #807 on: March 12, 2022, 07:45:31 AM »
In a live feed last night you could see quite a few flashes from explosions around Kyiv. Couldn't hep thinking with every flash people are dying.  :'(
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #808 on: March 12, 2022, 09:01:28 AM »
Tank drag racing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGF-hlcHzbI

the reason I posted it here is because of this comment
Challenger, Leclerc and T-90 were supposed to race, but Vladimir ran out of fuel and then some rude Ukrainian peasant stole it!
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #809 on: March 12, 2022, 10:03:45 AM »
Tank drag racing

I really liked this comment:

"Challenger does seem to be an improvement on the Chieftain from my time, the Chieftain's speed was dependent on the speed of the vehicle towing it."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #810 on: March 12, 2022, 10:58:39 AM »
Tank drag racing

It would have been funnier if someone had thought to have a parachute pop out the back of each tank at the end of the drag race . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #811 on: March 12, 2022, 11:48:50 AM »
Ukraine claiming 500-600 Russian soldiers surrendered Friday
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #812 on: March 12, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
Russia threatens to leave American astronaut behind on the ISS:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6300389605001#sp=show-clips
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #813 on: March 12, 2022, 12:05:54 PM »
Russia threatens to leave American astronaut behind on the ISS:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6300389605001#sp=show-clips

Elon: I got this
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #815 on: March 12, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »
Gotta give Ukraine some honesty points on this one

Victims of attack weren't using evacuation corridor - Ukraine

Earlier we reported a Ukrainian allegation that Russian troops had fired on a convoy of women and children leaving a village north-west of Kyiv on Friday, killing seven people.

Ukraine's intelligence service said the incident had happened on an agreed evacuation corridor from Peremoha.

However Ukrainian government officials have now said the victims were not using an agreed evacuation corridor as previously stated.

There was no independent verification of the attack and no immediate comment from Moscow.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60717902
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #816 on: March 12, 2022, 08:35:49 PM »
Biden admin and his pet media are still beating the war drums and pushing for US intervention.
How soon do you think it will be before we're in a shooting war with Russia?
How soon do you think it will be before China moves on Taiwan?
I'm at the point where I think it is inevitable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #817 on: March 12, 2022, 08:55:47 PM »

We've also got this breaking news:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/8/rockets-fired-at-us-embassy-in-iraq-after-series-of-attacks

Twitchy is also reporting it, but none of the MSM are as of yet. Looks like chumming it up with Iran again is working out just peaches though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #818 on: March 12, 2022, 09:18:21 PM »
We've also got this breaking news:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/8/rockets-fired-at-us-embassy-in-iraq-after-series-of-attacks

Twitchy is also reporting it, but none of the MSM are as of yet. Looks like chumming it up with Iran again is working out just peaches though.

Link is old news but I saw the new one in a ukraine reddit comment. Why do people pay network TV millions?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #819 on: March 12, 2022, 09:19:25 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #820 on: March 12, 2022, 09:20:48 PM »
Biden admin and his pet media are still beating the war drums and pushing for US intervention.
How soon do you think it will be before we're in a shooting war with Russia?
How soon do you think it will be before China moves on Taiwan?

I don't know.  I was surprised that the US backed away from the polish jets deal, at least publicly.  Has me wondering if the US is trying to limit involvement.  I could see the US administration wanting to keep this in the news to distract from domestic problems, but not really wanting to engage with a shooting war with the Russians.

If Russia starts using chemical weapons, would that push the west into the conflict?  Also, there seems to be some imaginary line between a country being a belligerent or not, as if the cargo jets full of weapons and money from the west don't make us involved already.

But I was wrong about Russia invading the Ukraine from the get go, so ehh?  I clearly don't know.   =)

If China makes a play for Taiwan, I could see them further strengthening ties with Russia as the western world condemns it.  And there's our axis power - China the economic giant, and Russia threatening nuclear annihilation.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #821 on: March 12, 2022, 09:25:38 PM »
Russian stock market closed all week
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #822 on: March 12, 2022, 09:42:32 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #823 on: March 12, 2022, 09:43:35 PM »
Link is old news but I saw the new one in a ukraine reddit comment. Why do people pay network TV millions?

Oh - sorry. This is from today:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/03/12/report-multiple-long-range-ballistic-missiles-target-us-consulate-in-erbil-iraq/

Also the Epoch Times is on it, but premium content:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/at-least-5-rockets-hit-iraqs-erbil-near-us-embassy-reports_4333836.html

Not even Fox News is reporting it yet.

Epoch Times says they were near the Embassy, rather than directed to it.

At least 12 missiles landed on targets in northern Iraq, hitting an area near a U.S. Consulate in the city of Erbil in the early hours of Sunday, the state news agency quoted the Directorate General of Counter Terrorism in Kurdistan as saying.

“Several missiles fell on the city of Erbil,” said governor Omid Khoshnaw, the Iraqi News Agency (INA) also reported. Erbil is the capital city of the autonomous Kurdistan region of Iraq.

“No victims or casualties after Erbil blasts,” Saman Barzanji, health minister in Iraq’s Kurdistan Province, was cited as saying.

A spokesman for the Kurdish regional government said there were no casualties. A U.S. State Department spokesperson called it an “outrageous attack” but said no Americans were hurt and there was no damage to U.S. government facilities in Erbil.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #824 on: March 13, 2022, 11:43:35 AM »
Video allegedly showing French volunteer fighting for Ukraine and seized Russian armored vehicle
https://twitter.com/SputnikATO/status/1502965429706313730
- Calvin and Hobbes