Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131201 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #900 on: March 15, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #901 on: March 15, 2022, 09:39:19 PM »
In the comments

"Russian spaceship, go... fuel yourself"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #902 on: March 15, 2022, 09:57:24 PM »

Ariane 5, go home.  You're drunk.

That platform flew 4 times in 2020, 4 times in 2021, and has 5 on manifest for 2022, none flown yet.

Soyuz did 15 launches in 2020, 22 launches in 2021, and has flown 3 so far for 2022.

F9 can comment, but Ariane5 is not a peer to either F9 or Soyuz.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #903 on: March 15, 2022, 09:59:06 PM »
Russian lawmaker demands return of Alaska, California fort and reparations amid U.S.-led sanctions
https://www.foxnews.com/us/russia-alaska-california-fort-reparations-sanctions

:rofl:

They might not be as much the bad guy as made out in the media (or at least the Ukrainians might be less of the good guy) but they did invade a sovereign nation.  The notion they should get all that back plus reparations over sanctions is beyond laughable.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #904 on: March 15, 2022, 09:59:42 PM »
Ariane 5, go home.  You're drunk.

That platform flew 4 times in 2020, 4 times in 2021, and has 5 on manifest for 2022, none flown yet.

Soyuz did 15 launches in 2020, 22 launches in 2021, and has flown 3 so far for 2022.

F9 can comment, but Ariane5 is not a peer to either F9 or Soyuz.

I wasn't going to nitpick it. Sometimes it's best to roll with the joke
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #905 on: March 16, 2022, 02:06:40 AM »
Yes there is something wrong with these people

I haven't seen any Big Media coverage of the war, but would I be correct in surmising the Left is also more kind to Russia than to right-leaning Americans and Fox News personnel, as per usual? I'm guessing they don't say such things about Russian soldiers that get killed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #906 on: March 16, 2022, 06:06:39 AM »
I haven't seen any Big Media coverage of the war, but would I be correct in surmising the Left is also more kind to Russia than to right-leaning Americans and Fox News personnel, as per usual? I'm guessing they don't say such things about Russian soldiers that get killed.

You would be mistaken.

In a strange turn of events, the left hates Russia and accuses the right of being pro-Russia.  That is all based on the "fact" that Putin and Trump are best friends.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #907 on: March 16, 2022, 08:23:10 AM »
Ukraine rejects Russian offer of 'Austrian style' neutrality

An advisor to Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has said that a Russian proposal that Ukraine adopts an Austrian style neutrality is unacceptable to the country.

Mykhailo Podoliak, a member of the Ukrainian negotiating team, told local media any peace deal must be on Ukrainian terms that protect its sovereignty.

"We understand the attempt of our partners to remain proactive in the negotiation process," Podoliak said. "Hence the words about the" Swedish" or "Austrian model" of neutrality. But Ukraine is now in a state of direct war with Russia."

"Therefore, the model can only be "Ukrainian" and only with legally verified security guarantees. And no other models or options."

Earlier this morning, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said Russia was open to a peace deal that saw a neutral Ukraine maintain its own army and navy, along the lines of Austria or Sweden.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60746557
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #908 on: March 16, 2022, 09:08:59 AM »
In a box in a live feed Zelensky is about to address US Congress and Pelosi is up on stage acting all giggly like she's at a party hopped up on drugs.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #909 on: March 16, 2022, 09:10:49 AM »
In a box in a live feed Zelensky is about to address US Congress and Pelosi up on stage acting all giggly like she's at a party hopped up on drugs.

I've got that playing right now. My God, what a moron. She was acting like it was the Oscars, not something serious.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #910 on: March 16, 2022, 09:13:12 AM »
Apparently 46 is looking at providing Switchblades to Ukraine. I'm glad I threw some more dough into my AVAV stock earlier in the year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #911 on: March 16, 2022, 09:17:30 AM »
You would be mistaken.

In a strange turn of events, the left hates Russia and accuses the right of being pro-Russia.  That is all based on the "fact" that Putin and Trump are best friends.

It's not a strange turn, it's completely predictable. The US being enemies with Russia is the best thing for China, and it's Chinese manipulation that is driving Democratic policy nowadays. Remember how breathlessly the establishment denounced Trump for being a Russian agent but also how he was racist for anything he did against China. It's very important for China that we are enemies with Russia. That's why we have a war in Ukraine as soon as Beijing Biden got elected.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #912 on: March 16, 2022, 09:20:27 AM »
Right or wrong, Ukraine is playing one hell of a propaganda video for Congress right now.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #913 on: March 16, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »

Every night at 530pm, ABC evening news reports on events in Ukraine.  Every morning, Good Morning America will do segments on the war. NPR also gives updates and stories throughout the day. I watched a little CNN last night and all the pundit talked about was the war.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #914 on: March 16, 2022, 09:47:52 AM »
I've got that playing right now. My God, what a moron. She was acting like it was the Oscars, not something serious.

She's the creepy aunt that everyone keeps their distance from.
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #915 on: March 16, 2022, 09:54:27 AM »
You would be mistaken.

I think it is the midterm strategy. Direct war with Russia, emergency powers here and dissent is treason. Not regular treason, Jan 6 treason.  And that guess comes from me who is really enjoying seeing Russian armor get blown to bits. Don’t feel the least bit bad for them, just don’t want us in it. And we may all be once Russia tries a coup and things get really messy because then the best way to stay in power is a big war with the west.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #916 on: March 16, 2022, 10:11:34 AM »
Guy doing a live feed forgot his mic was on while eating and just made most god awful hacking up a hairball sound followed by a series of burps :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #917 on: March 16, 2022, 10:45:35 AM »
Neutrality for Ukraine seems to be about the best they could hope for.  I'm not sure why they are rejecting it ???

HankB

• friend
« Reply #918 on: March 16, 2022, 10:53:04 AM »
Russian lawmaker demands return of Alaska, California fort and reparations amid U.S.-led sanctions
https://www.foxnews.com/us/russia-alaska-california-fort-reparations-sanctions
Not just no, but HELL no!

The Russians don't get that California fort by itself - if they want it badly enough they have to take the whole state!!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #919 on: March 16, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »
Neutrality for Ukraine seems to be about the best they could hope for.  I'm not sure why they are rejecting it ???
"Hey, I'll totally stop invading you if you promise you'll never make an alliance with anyone who could stop me from invading you again."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #920 on: March 16, 2022, 10:57:54 AM »
"Hey, I'll totally stop invading you if you promise you'll never make an alliance with anyone who could stop me from invading you again."

Pinky swear!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #921 on: March 16, 2022, 10:58:35 AM »
Just sign a non-aggression pack. Wink Wink
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #922 on: March 16, 2022, 11:00:23 AM »
Divesting from Russia, eliminating all western cultural influences and institutions from Russia, forcing them to be more self sufficient and create parallel systems and relationships outside of western influence seems to be the stupidest plan ever.

What's at risk here?

War spreading to neighboring countries
Potential nuclear exchange
Petro dollar status
World reserve currency status
Western economy(ies)

All for a country that has no strategic value to the USA.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #923 on: March 16, 2022, 11:00:37 AM »
In my question about media coverage, I was really wondering if Big Media has been mocking the deaths/injuries of Russian soldiers, the way they did with the two Fox News employees. Usually, the Left tries to have understanding and compassion for foreign enemies or Muslim terrorists, but treats Americans like the scum of the earth.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #924 on: March 16, 2022, 11:05:10 AM »

The invasion came after more than a decade of Russia requesting neutrality and security guarantees that the west rebuffed in an aggressive manner.

Our State Dept cannot be that stupid so my only option is to believe the permanent government/Biden administration wants a limited war with Russia. War either by proxy or possibly even a limited engagement.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.