Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131013 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1000 on: March 18, 2022, 03:57:58 PM »
Yeah.  Especially in Russian controlled regions.  A country having trouble supplying its own military is going to have a hard time feeding civilians in conquered territory.
And foreign armies foraging always ends well.   =|
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1001 on: March 18, 2022, 04:49:26 PM »
A bunch of guns and tactical gear are being collected for Ukraine. While I applaud the thought behind the efforts, I'm still betting a lot of this stuff will never make it through the red tape and ITAR.

If nothing else, it's certainly another jab at Biden and his "rifles vs F-15s and nukes" comment.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-gun-companies-helping-ukrainians-fight-putin
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1002 on: March 18, 2022, 04:52:47 PM »
A bunch of guns and tactical gear are being collected for Ukraine. While I applaud the thought behind the efforts, I'm still betting a lot of this stuff will never make it through the red tape and ITAR.

If nothing else, it's certainly another jab at Biden and his "rifles vs F-15s and nukes" comment.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-gun-companies-helping-ukrainians-fight-putin

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-tyranny-15-stripped-lower-receiver-ships-in-approximately-12-weeks.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1003 on: March 18, 2022, 08:15:08 PM »
ISS-bound Cosmonauts open hatch to Space Station wearing Ukrainian-colored flight suits.

Heads are going to roll at Roskosmos for this one.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1004 on: March 18, 2022, 08:36:08 PM »
Looks like the same suit without the blue.
Photo is dated 2015

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-moscow-russia-october-06-cosmonaut-suit-aansari-in-space-museum-on-94562597.html

I suspect the blue areas are velcro
 but still funny, whoops
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 09:10:35 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1005 on: March 19, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »
Appears the Russians deployed a hypersonic missile yesterday.  Travels at mach 10, supposed to be unable to be intercepted by Western missile defense systems.  They used it to blow up a Ukrainian arms depot.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18000231/moment-russian-hypersonic-missile-destroys-ukrainian-weapons-depot/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1006 on: March 19, 2022, 04:31:33 PM »
Appears the Russians deployed a hypersonic missile yesterday.  Travels at mach 10, supposed to be unable to be intercepted by Western missile defense systems.  They used it to blow up a Ukrainian arms depot.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18000231/moment-russian-hypersonic-missile-destroys-ukrainian-weapons-depot/
It's possible to stop the video and catch what sure looks like the missile coming in vertically . . . I'm not so sure the drone footage would be capable of catching a Mach 10 missile. Any video experts here?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1007 on: March 19, 2022, 04:40:15 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1008 on: March 19, 2022, 08:38:44 PM »
Anti-Tank Guided Cat

- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1009 on: March 19, 2022, 10:44:52 PM »
Just learned about the Azov Battallion, did a little reading on it.

Smells similar to the Mujaheddin of the 1980's.

How much money will anyone bet that, after the US offers material support to guerrillas fighting the Russians, then two decades later those same guerrillas become enemies of the US and a US effort to pacify the region is undertaken?
--Lysander Spooner

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1010 on: March 19, 2022, 11:54:05 PM »
Don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1011 on: March 20, 2022, 12:28:08 AM »

Why bother with the cash?  That’s about $1.6mil in gold.  Would the cash be intended for bribes?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1013 on: March 20, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »

Four billion? You mean 1 billion after our politicians took their
3 billion cut first. Then that billion will wind up like that
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1014 on: March 20, 2022, 08:04:48 AM »
Just learned about the Azov Battallion, did a little reading on it.

Smells similar to the Mujaheddin of the 1980's.

How much money will anyone bet that, after the US offers material support to guerrillas fighting the Russians, then two decades later those same guerrillas become enemies of the US and a US effort to pacify the region is undertaken?

The US, assuming it still exists, will likely not be in any condition to pacify anything twenty years from now.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1015 on: March 20, 2022, 08:07:21 AM »
Why bother with the cash?  That’s about $1.6mil in gold.  Would the cash be intended for bribes?

Likely bribes and other "strategic" uses. Hard to break up those gold bars into smaller chunks, and it has to still be converted, which would be an extra step and attention for the bribee. Cash is fast.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1016 on: March 20, 2022, 08:12:34 AM »
The US, assuming it still exists, will likely not be in any condition to pacify anything twenty years from now.

I used to think talk like this was whacko. Lately, I've been talking like this. I look around, and we are becoming a "superpower" in name only. China is surpassing us in everything, and much of the rest of the world seems to be changing their bets to that horse.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1017 on: March 20, 2022, 08:17:23 AM »
I used to think talk like this was whacko. Lately, I've been talking like this. I look around, and we are becoming a "superpower" in name only. China is surpassing us in everything, and much of the rest of the world seems to be changing their bets to that horse.

It's just extrapolating current trends out to a logical conclusion.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1018 on: March 20, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »
Panic buying in Russia.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1505144874886209538

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russians-panic-buying-ukraine-invasion-consequences

Seeing reports put out by British intel that there is growing grumbling within Putin's ruling circle and even a bit of panic forming.
Things could go all Duce/Saddam/Ceaușescu (take your pick) real quick in Russia.
Which puts more and more pressure on Putin to end this quickly. Doubt he would back out but rather escalate it in ways that would make Hitler blush an attempt to break the Ukrainians.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1019 on: March 20, 2022, 08:40:55 AM »

That would be 80% of congress x million if here.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1022 on: March 20, 2022, 09:34:42 AM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1023 on: March 20, 2022, 09:37:27 AM »
Full version:

https://youtu.be/s4UM2IkfB0o

Thanks.
I was looking for that but for some reason it wasn't coming up or I over looked it based on the date since I was looking for something more recent.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1024 on: March 20, 2022, 09:50:22 AM »
As a side note I just checked gun broker and people are asking $11k+ for the same Russian Vepr I paid $1,100 for which included a $400-500 Iron Wood SVD stock.
So ~$600 to $11k+  :O

Yikes. It's going to stay in the gun safe now.

Yes I know gun broker can be wacko. ~$3k would be more realistic in my mind.
- Calvin and Hobbes