Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131132 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1075 on: March 24, 2022, 07:45:03 AM »
The Ukraine government is more corrupt than the Biden administration, that's saying something.

That Americans are still trusting the same crowd that gave us Iraq, Afghanistan and other lowlights in foreign policy just shows you how well propaganda works.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1076 on: March 24, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »
Russian “Cope Cages” and how Bar/Slat/Mesh Protections Broadly Work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtLnKhppxUU
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1077 on: March 24, 2022, 08:54:02 AM »
This is a war where I can get behind supporting the average citizens of both countries. Ukrainian citizens are getting the worst of it, but Russian citizens who want nothing more than to live their lives are having their lives destroyed by all the "boycotts" of the woke entities of the world. The Russian government and Russian war effort are little impacted by those boycotts and censures, but it's certainly slamming Russian citizens.

At some point this war will be over, and I think Russian citizens are going to remember what the world did to them - not as a defensive strategy to end the war, but because all the cool kids were doing it.

No, all enablers.Through apathy they built this war machine. Their economic pain is the best weapon.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1078 on: March 24, 2022, 08:58:17 AM »
No, all enablers.Through apathy they built this war machine. Their economic pain is the best weapon.

We could say the same about US citizens and Biden. Or Trump. Or Obama. Or Bush. Or Afghanistan. Or 9/11. Or the Patriot Act.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1079 on: March 24, 2022, 09:14:05 AM »

At some point this war will be over, and I think Russian citizens are going to remember what the world did to them - not as a defensive strategy to end the war, but because all the cool kids were doing it.

And that is what German citizens remember happing after WW1 and what did we get?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1080 on: March 24, 2022, 09:26:34 AM »
And that is what German citizens remember happing after WW1 and what did we get?

Can also be pointed out that doing nothing worked out so well for the allies during the 30s
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1081 on: March 24, 2022, 09:36:22 AM »
Can also be pointed out that doing nothing worked out so well for the allies during the 30s

To be clear, I'm not talking about sanctions against the Russian government - energy embargoes and such, which yes, do impact Russian citizens, but as an effect of the measures against the government.

I'm talking about crap like Netflix, Youtube, and Facebook banning not the Russian government, but individual Russians. Or other woke entities not attacking the Russian government, but Russian citizens. None of these thing critically affect Russian citizens (maybe things like Russian youtubers losing their livelihoods). They certainly affect psychology. The world's woke slapping Ukrainian flags on everything and wishing miserable death to people living in Russian villages who don't even know what the hell is going on is going to have detrimental effects to any peace with Russia down the road.

https://youtu.be/_0lql3prvnI

https://youtu.be/C4EA8VSZdZ8
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1082 on: March 24, 2022, 09:55:45 AM »
Things that go boom

Russian warship destroyed in occupied port of Berdyansk, says Ukraine
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60859337
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1083 on: March 24, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
Things that go boom

Russian warship destroyed in occupied port of Berdyansk, says Ukraine
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60859337

Couldn't tell what ship was flying the British Union Jack.  It was prominent in the drone footage at the beginning of the video.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1084 on: March 24, 2022, 10:37:07 AM »
We could say the same about US citizens and Biden. Or Trump. Or Obama. Or Bush. Or Afghanistan. Or 9/11. Or the Patriot Act.

And it should be. Until we break our system and fix it. I am proud of my 22 years in the military despite being a cog in Albrights schemes. I served five years on an amphibious assault ship like the ones on fire this morning. But I never laid siege to cities or landed in a foreign port to destroy and install my government.

The WW1 stab in the back myth only had legs because the average Germans didn’t suffer. Their cities stood, they had food, the war didn’t touch German soil. A war of choice that we could blame on other people losing.
AKA Navy Joe   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1085 on: March 24, 2022, 10:41:38 AM »
Couldn't tell what ship was flying the British Union Jack.  It was prominent in the drone footage at the beginning of the video.

Russian  Navy jack. Flag on the front of the ship is not the national flag ever.
AKA Navy Joe   

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1086 on: March 24, 2022, 10:53:10 AM »

Russian Naval Jack

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Naval_Jack_of_Russia.svg
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1087 on: March 24, 2022, 10:56:08 AM »
Russian  Navy jack. Flag on the front of the ship is not the national flag ever.

Russian Naval Jack

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Naval_Jack_of_Russia.svg

Ah, thanks for the info.  Looked like a Union Jack to my untrained eye.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1088 on: March 24, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »
Very easy to confuse the two.
Here's a list of Russian Naval Jacks and Flags
Note the National Naval Flag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_navy_flags
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1089 on: March 24, 2022, 11:47:57 AM »
Majority of Finns now support joining NATO:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/finland-shows-strong-support-for-nato-poll

Video popped up this morning
Lots of parallels with today.

Russian Invasion of Finland - The Winter War 1939-40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkxbDwsJo38
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1091 on: March 24, 2022, 11:57:21 AM »
Be careful drawing conclusions from the Ukraine videos.
The Chieftain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9pVEP0AzZ4

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1092 on: March 24, 2022, 02:07:22 PM »

Democracies are funny things. 

1.  They claim to have charge of their government
2.  They fail to control their government
3.  Their government sends out military adventurism at behest of niche economic interests and draws foreign ire for doing so
4.  Yet somehow the democracy thinks it is immune from retaliation (i.e. "That's Terrorism and you can't do that!") for the actions of its government that it failed to control

At a certain threshold, it is most certainly legitimate to target the populace for supporting its government in warfare.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1093 on: March 24, 2022, 02:29:03 PM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1094 on: March 24, 2022, 09:33:10 PM »
Not unbiased, but worth a read:  https://euromaidanpress.com/2022/03/21/russian-soldiers-admit-heavy-losses-looting-shelling-civilians-in-phone-calls-to-wives-and-mothers/

Allegedly, intercepted phone calls between Russian soldiers and their families.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1096 on: March 24, 2022, 10:24:53 PM »
Video popped up this morning
Lots of parallels with today.

Russian Invasion of Finland - The Winter War 1939-40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkxbDwsJo38

A more complete documentary on the Winter War:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2FqMUVZzc
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1097 on: March 25, 2022, 09:49:21 AM »
Boy is THIS a *expletive deleted*ing stab right at the heart of the Russian economic infrastructure...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/25/eu-strikes-gas-deal-with-the-us-as-it-seeks-to-cut-its-reliance-on-russia.html

There have been a number of analyses the last week or so that seem to indicate that Russian economic activity is going to be cut by at least 50% through all of the sanctions and this is going to cut even deeper.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1098 on: March 25, 2022, 10:11:26 AM »
Boy is THIS a *expletive deleted*ing stab right at the heart of the Russian economic infrastructure...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/25/eu-strikes-gas-deal-with-the-us-as-it-seeks-to-cut-its-reliance-on-russia.html

There have been a number of analyses the last week or so that seem to indicate that Russian economic activity is going to be cut by at least 50% through all of the sanctions and this is going to cut even deeper.

1) The Brandon administration is doing everything it can to impede NG production in this country.
2) The stated goal of the deal with the EU, "...would be to diversify LNG supplies in alignment with climate objectives and reduce demand for natural gas."

I can't help but think the plan is to ship large amounts of LNG to Europe without any real increase in production here in the US.  The end result of that would be less NG available here for consumption, and what remains will be even more expensive.  Yep, that lines up nicely with the Brandon administration's stated "climate objectives".

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1099 on: March 25, 2022, 10:25:34 AM »
1) The Brandon administration is doing everything it can to impede NG production in this country.
2) The stated goal of the deal with the EU, "...would be to diversify LNG supplies in alignment with climate objectives and reduce demand for natural gas."

I can't help but think the plan is to ship large amounts of LNG to Europe without any real increase in production here in the US.  The end result of that would be less NG available here for consumption, and what remains will be even more expensive.  Yep, that lines up nicely with the Brandon administration's stated "climate objectives".
Same basic thought occurred to me . . . based on past actions, it's easy to be cynical about Brandon's actions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain