Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 130996 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1125 on: March 28, 2022, 12:13:27 PM »
It's another in a long line of you didn't hear Biden say what you heard Biden say.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1126 on: March 28, 2022, 12:22:38 PM »
Hmmm

Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators reportedly suffered symptoms of suspected poisoning when they met to discuss peace negotiations earlier this month, several news sources have claimed.

Abramovich, along with another Russian entrepreneur, had taken part in the negotiations alongside Crimean Tatar lawmaker Rustem Umerov.

Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich suffered suspected poisoning, reports say
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60890199?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6241da105fbc655faa01f419%26Russian%20oligarch%20Roman%20Abramovich%20suffered%20suspected%20poisoning%2C%20reports%20say%262022-03-28T16%3A16%3A53.882Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:43ad70f4-c95b-436b-8235-9047ebe09961&pinned_post_asset_id=6241da105fbc655faa01f419&pinned_post_type=share
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1129 on: March 28, 2022, 02:07:28 PM »
The dioxin tea is lovely.  Thank you.

I hear it's to die for
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1130 on: March 28, 2022, 02:27:29 PM »
Honestly, I could go 50/50 on whether Russia or Ukraine did it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1131 on: March 28, 2022, 03:58:29 PM »
It's another in a long line of you didn't hear Biden say what you heard Biden say.

Now it's because he's Irish

Leon Panetta says on CNN that Biden’s gaffe in Europe about regime change came about because Biden is Irish, and his instinct to internalize human suffering may have overwhelmed him to the point where he was not careful about what he said. Biden needs more discipline Panetta says

— Gordon Lubold (@glubold) March 28, 2022
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/03/28/former-secdef-leon-panetta-has-a-theory-why-biden-made-the-gaffe-about-putin/

This is why I drink

Like an Irishman   :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1132 on: March 28, 2022, 06:51:18 PM »
Now Biden says it a lie. He didn't say any of that stuff.

They don't want to 25th him because she is an idiot but I'm starting to wonder if we make it to January 2025.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1133 on: March 28, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
Russian army expert Igor Strelkov: "MY WORST FEARS CAME TRUE, we got stuck in a long & bloody war"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTyQfev3Ss
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1135 on: March 28, 2022, 09:12:07 PM »
I saw some video linked on another site purporting to show Ukrainian soldiers (not sure if regular or militia) abusing Russian captives. I noticed a lot of the captives had bloody leg and groin injuries. Then at the end one of the Ukrainians walked up to three mobile Russians and shot them in the legs and knees.

War is pretty nasty.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1136 on: March 28, 2022, 10:37:50 PM »
I saw some video linked on another site purporting to show Ukrainian soldiers (not sure if regular or militia) abusing Russian captives. I noticed a lot of the captives had bloody leg and groin injuries. Then at the end one of the Ukrainians walked up to three mobile Russians and shot them in the legs and knees.

War is pretty nasty.

If you look at what the soviets and russians have done to them since 1919 IDGAF.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1137 on: March 28, 2022, 10:45:29 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1138 on: March 28, 2022, 10:53:29 PM »

War is pretty nasty.

That's one way to ensure they don't immediately rejoin the fight after repatriation.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1139 on: March 29, 2022, 01:12:01 AM »
That's one way to ensure they don't immediately rejoin the fight after repatriation.
Yeah, it is certainly more efficient than imprisoning them, and if you are going to send them back to Russia you are simultaneously adding to Russia’s logistical and financial burdens while removing the immediate threat of that soldier reentering combat.

Still pretty brutal to see guys taking rifle rounds point blank to the legs.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1140 on: March 29, 2022, 05:34:15 AM »
That's the kind of thing that will get you a trip to The Hague.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1141 on: March 29, 2022, 08:05:41 AM »
That's the kind of thing that will get you a trip to The Hague.

Well, maybe if you're Russia. It seems that, in the US at least, it's like Ukraine has announced that they are gender transitioning, so they are popular and can do no wrong. If the video is accurate and the abuse is widespread and not a one-off incident, it will be interesting to see how the world reacts.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1142 on: March 29, 2022, 08:29:17 AM »
Americans like to think wars are like video games. You know, when there are flames shooting out of a hit tank they don't think about about the 4 guys inside. It's just a video game.  :O

Yeah if widespread they should go full force on whomever. 

I'm sure there's some really crazy *expletive deleted*it going on we're not seeing.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1143 on: March 29, 2022, 08:41:50 AM »
Meanwhile

Reports Russia force have ceased offensive operations around Kyiv.
Also reports the Ukrainians have recaptured two towns outside Kyiv
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1144 on: March 29, 2022, 09:11:08 AM »
Meanwhile

Reports Russia force have ceased offensive operations around Kyiv.
Also reports the Ukrainians have recaptured two towns outside Kyiv

Heard that this morning as well on CNN.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1145 on: March 29, 2022, 09:35:46 AM »
The Russians are reportedly killing civilians intentionally so…I really don’t give a *expletive deleted*ck what the Ukrainians are doing to their POWs/captives/detainees
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #1146 on: March 29, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »
The Russians are reportedly killing civilians intentionally so…I really don’t give a *expletive deleted*ck what the Ukrainians are doing to their POWs/captives/detainees

Well, I kind of do.  Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.  POW's should be treated in accordance to international convention.  Any party breaking that should absolutely be condemned.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1147 on: March 29, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »
Let me know when there's a war where every soldier plays by the "rules".
Not justifying anything just staying aware of the reality of human conflict in all of history
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #1148 on: March 29, 2022, 10:29:25 AM »
Let me know when there's a war where every soldier plays by the "rules".
Not justifying anything just staying aware of the reality of human conflict in all of history

That's fair, and I suppose a one-off isn't unexpected, although still needs addressed.  If it's systemic, that is a problem IMO.

But that's easy to say behind a keyboard, in a warm house, not in a life-or-death armed fight for national existence.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1149 on: March 29, 2022, 10:33:26 AM »
Couple of points:

1. Yes, folks act badly in every war.  US soldiers even act badly in war.  That should not be tolerated.

2. Unlike many BS ROE restrictions and touchy feely crap, rules on the treatment of POW's have a very real effect on the war.  Torturing and maiming POW's is how you end up with armies not surrendering even when they have lost, and really brutal outcomes.  There are solid reasons to treat your prisoners correctly, even if your opponent is not.

3. It's becoming pretty clear that NATO (us) is going to get sucked into this bullshit conflict sooner or later.  I would prefer not to have to shoot an "ally" in the face because they have made a habit of committing war crimes.

4. Again, we don't have to pick a side here. Bad and Not-as-Bad are fighting, due to bad government.  That's no reason to be "OK" with 18 year old draftees being kneecapped because they avoided being shot by their Замполит. *

*Political Officer