Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133525 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1425 on: April 22, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »

Putin is definitely a bad guy.  Still not entirely convinced Zelensky is a good guy.  He’s got titanium balls.  He’s been effective at rallying Ukrainians to fight the Russians.  But he’s still corrupt as hell.

What proof of Zelenskyy's corruption exists?  Not doubting your honesty, but I'm curious.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1426 on: April 22, 2022, 02:32:33 PM »
He’s a politician.  That’s proof enough.  He’s also a politician in Eastern Europe.  By definition he’s corrupt.  Plus, he held back intel on Hunter Biden’s dealings from Trump.  Which means he was either in on it, or he or his people were benefiting from it even if they weren’t directly involved.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1427 on: April 22, 2022, 06:21:17 PM »
This is his first political job, so not really a politician.

He was president for like 6 months before the 2020 election. Not sure how much he was "withholding from Trump" while trying to get a government built.

He may well be corrupt,  but I haven't seen a ton of evidence of it.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1428 on: April 22, 2022, 07:35:08 PM »
He’s a politician.  That’s proof enough.  He’s also a politician in Eastern Europe.  By definition he’s corrupt.  Plus, he held back intel on Hunter Biden’s dealings from Trump.  Which means he was either in on it, or he or his people were benefiting from it even if they weren’t directly involved.

Like that excuses Russia invading them and stealing portions of their country.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1429 on: April 22, 2022, 08:12:29 PM »
Like that excuses Russia invading them and stealing portions of their country.

Did I say that?  I’m pretty sure I didn’t say that.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1430 on: April 23, 2022, 03:14:49 AM »
Did I say that?  I’m pretty sure I didn’t say that.

So what was the point of your what-about-them'ism?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1432 on: April 27, 2022, 11:30:31 AM »
    The European Union is ironing out the details of a potential oil embargo on Russia.
    A full embargo from the EU could be particularly devastating for Russia’s already-struggling oil industry.
     "If Putin has to redirect oil and gas exports from the European to the Asian markets, he will lose over half of his revenue.”

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Russia-Could-Lose-Half-Of-Its-Revenue-If-EU-Agrees-On-A-Full-Oil-Embargo.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1433 on: April 27, 2022, 11:32:22 AM »
What the  ?

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1435 on: April 27, 2022, 01:30:57 PM »
Oh boy

Mysterious explosions in Transnistria, a breakaway Russian-controlled territory in Moldova bordering on Ukraine, have raised fears that the Ukraine conflict may be spreading.

Separatist authorities said Ukrainian "infiltrators" were responsible. But Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has blamed Russian special services.

Russia says it is concerned. It has about 1,500 troops in Transnistria.

An official has said Russian speakers in Moldova are being oppressed.
Transnistria and Ukraine conflict: Is war spreading?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61233095

On the heels of this

A Russian general, Rustam Minnekaev, said Friday according to Russian newswire Interfax, Russia wanted to conquer Ukrainian land all the way to Moldova, where Russophones were being persecuted — a pretext previously used for invasions. "Control over the south of Ukraine is another way out to Transnistria, where there are also facts of oppression of the Russian-speaking population,"
https://euobserver.com/tickers/154778

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1437 on: April 27, 2022, 02:57:23 PM »
First they have to win.

Ukraine has backed off the earlier indications they might be willing to give up territory.  If they keep getting enough munitions they may take back Crimea.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1438 on: April 27, 2022, 03:26:57 PM »
First they have to win.

Ukraine has backed off the earlier indications they might be willing to give up territory.  If they keep getting enough munitions they may take back Crimea.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #1439 on: April 27, 2022, 08:27:07 PM »
First they have to win.

It's obvious that the populace is mad as hell and I think it's become politically impossible for the Ukraine government to try for anything less than pre-2014 borders. They may get repulsed and that'll be one thing but just saying they'll settle for less won't work imo.

It's also apparent that this whole thing took a population that wasn't very invested and forged a nation out of it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1440 on: April 29, 2022, 11:05:52 AM »
As usual take with a grain of salt.
But so far Ukraine's number's have been not too far off from what other countries intel has been saying if that means anything.

Ukraine claims Russia has lost 23,000 military personnel
The Ukrainian Ministry of Defence claims Russia has suffered 23,000 military personnel losses since the beginning of the war, in an update on Telegram.

It claims that since Russia invaded on 24 February, the Ukrainian military has destroyed:

986 tanks
    2418 armoured combat vehicles
    435 artillery systems
    189 aircraft
    eight ships
    155 helicopters

It said Russia experienced the greatest losses in the direction of Izyum, in eastern Ukraine.

Estimates of Russian military losses vary widely, but Moscow has previously admitted to suffering "significant losses of troops" during the invasion.

The BBC has not been able to independently verify Ukraine's latest claims.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61252785?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=626bd061b1e16c43aefe7b41%26Ukraine%20claims%20Russia%20has%20lost%2023%2C000%20military%20personnel%262022-04-29T13%3A52%3A38.541Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:fa58615b-fa4a-4e2b-86ae-c768687d4769&pinned_post_asset_id=626bd061b1e16c43aefe7b41&pinned_post_type=share
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1441 on: April 29, 2022, 12:47:38 PM »
I wonder what Ukraine's losses are.  I read they are not releasing numbers.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1443 on: April 29, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »
As already stated, casualty numbers - by both sides - should be taken with a grain of salt.

But whatever they actually are, Russian casualties are probably higher - a LOT higher - than the Russians were projecting on the day before they invaded.

I think a good part of the reason is that as a former Soviet state, the Ukrainians were well-versed in Soviet (e.g, Russian) military doctrine, tactics, and hardware, and were able to use their knowledge to good effect. Especially since the Russians were telegraphing their intentions for months.

I wonder if anyone outside Russia's military has a good handle on how Putin's stocks of missiles, ammo, combat vehicles, and aircraft (fixed wing and helos), and spare parts are doing, given combat losses and high tempo operations. By some counts, Putin's used over 1300 cruise and ballistic missiles already, including at least some new and expensive hypersonics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1444 on: April 29, 2022, 01:38:28 PM »
The Russians were expecting The Anschluss but they got Verdun instead.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1445 on: April 29, 2022, 05:31:21 PM »

Gun Jesus made pretty much the same comparison in one of his recent videos.

I thought I posted it here, but it may have been to another board.

He also made the point that in 1939 Stalin made the same assumption -- that the Soviets would be welcomed with open arms in Finland for bringing an end to all of the internal bickering between political parties.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1446 on: April 29, 2022, 05:55:58 PM »
In terms of Russian losses, I have read a couple of articles that their wartime field medical care and evacuations are no where near US capabilities and at least some of their losses would survive if they were US soldiers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1447 on: April 29, 2022, 07:19:13 PM »
In terms of Russian losses, I have read a couple of articles that their wartime field medical care and evacuations are no where near US capabilities and at least some of their losses would survive if they were US soldiers.

Well, we have a lot of practice.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1449 on: April 29, 2022, 08:35:43 PM »

The French Germans Russians were expecting Russia and got Russia instead.

Fixed it for you.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536