Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 130995 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1451 on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:51 AM »
One does not simply walk into Ukraine.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:33:51 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1452 on: April 30, 2022, 07:49:54 AM »
One does not just simply walk into Ukraine.

Nice
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1453 on: April 30, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »
It's from Business Insider, so there's the slant to consider, but still, an interesting article on a cross-section of the kinds of foreign volunteers Ukraine is getting:

https://www.businessinsider.com/they-went-to-ukraine-to-be-war-heroes-and-fight-russians-2022-4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1454 on: May 01, 2022, 05:55:12 PM »
Apparently the ghost of Kiev was fake news. Just goes to show that everybody does propaganda.

I actually thought he was real, but that his kill count (something like 49 advanced aircraft!?!) was way overblown.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/05/01/ukraine-now-admits-the-ghost-of-kyiv-never-existed/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1455 on: May 01, 2022, 06:18:19 PM »
I figured pretty much everyone knew from day one
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1456 on: May 01, 2022, 06:28:09 PM »
I also thought we knew this.  It was outed by Ukraine War watchers on Tik Tok, of all things.  They took apart the footage and called bullshit early on.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1457 on: May 05, 2022, 09:28:09 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1458 on: May 05, 2022, 09:35:55 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/05/us-intelligence-helping-ukraine-kill-russian-generals-report

The US is apparently helping to target Russian senior officers.

I just heard that on the teevee. Seems there should have been a little more OPSEC for something like that, which could really rile up Putin. I'm surprised DoD is so forthcoming with "Yeah, we did that". They seem to be arguing that they did not provide intel specifically to target the Generals, but that seems kinda fishy. How did this many Generals get popped through "ancillary information"?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1459 on: May 05, 2022, 09:43:25 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me to see a few high ranking US military and diplomatic types suddenly succumb to previously undiagnosed medical conditions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1460 on: May 05, 2022, 09:54:43 AM »
This admin has been putting way too much information out there this whole war. I guess to show they are doing something since they have nothing else to go on but it's a little dangerous.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1461 on: May 05, 2022, 10:03:29 AM »
This admin has been putting way too much information out there this whole war. I guess to show they are doing something since they have nothing else to go on but it's a little dangerous.
I actually appreciate that Biden called a lot of Putin's shots early on.

Sure, some of his accusations may have been absolute speculation, but he called the invasion well ahead of time which made it harder for Putin to pull off the Crimea type invasion that I think he was expecting to.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1462 on: May 05, 2022, 10:09:17 AM »
I just heard that on the teevee. Seems there should have been a little more OPSEC for something like that, which could really rile up Putin. I'm surprised DoD is so forthcoming with "Yeah, we did that". They seem to be arguing that they did not provide intel specifically to target the Generals, but that seems kinda fishy. How did this many Generals get popped through "ancillary information"?

I also saw another news story the other day claiming that our aid to Ukraine has drained our military weapon resources. Between that and the story about the US helping target Russian brass, you think the news wants Putin to launch a few nukes at us.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1463 on: May 05, 2022, 10:17:07 AM »
I also saw another news story the other day claiming that our aid to Ukraine has drained our military weapon resources.

I've had worries that the US and W. Europe is going to be short of anti-tank/air weapon for a while but then again Russia is probably going be short of tanks and AC for a while as well.
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1464 on: May 05, 2022, 10:20:28 AM »
I've had worries that the US and W. Europe is going to be short of anti-tank/air weapon for a while but then again Russia is probably going be short of tanks and AC for a while as well.
What if Russia is not the next threat we face?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1465 on: May 05, 2022, 10:24:54 AM »
What if Russia is not the next threat we face?

China? Would be more Naval than land on our part.
Iran and N.Korea? I think the locals can handle it with the US providing air support and off shore naval support/strikes if need be.

Beyond them who's a big tank/air threat and I should note I'm not too sure about Iran being a big threat in that regard

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:02:24 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1466 on: May 05, 2022, 12:44:11 PM »
China? Would be more Naval than land on our part.
Iran and N.Korea? I think the locals can handle it with the US providing air support and off shore naval support/strikes if need be.

Beyond them who's a big tank/air threat and I should note I'm not too sure about Iran being a big threat in that regard

Our biggest threat is our own government.  =|

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1467 on: May 06, 2022, 09:06:20 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/05/us-intelligence-helping-ukraine-kill-russian-generals-report

The US is apparently helping to target Russian senior officers.

Not just senor officers

The US provided intelligence that helped Ukraine sink the Moskva, Russia's flagship Black Sea missile cruiser, several US media report.

Unnamed officials said Ukraine had asked the US about a ship sailing to the south of Odesa.

The US said it was the Moskva and helped confirm its location. Ukraine then struck it with two missiles.

The Pentagon has not commented. But a spokesman said the US gave intelligence to help Ukraine defend itself.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61343044

Not going to argue one way or the other whether or not we should provide info to the Ukrainians but sometimes our people need to shut the F up about it.

Reminds me of that newspaper after Midway that spilled the beans about our code breaking. Luckily the Japanese didn't catch on.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1468 on: May 06, 2022, 09:49:53 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61343044

Not going to argue one way or the other whether or not we should provide info to the Ukrainians but sometimes our people need to shut the F up about it.

^^^ QFT.

There was a slogan during WW2, "Loose lips sink ships." IMHO, the less Russia knows about how, when, and where we are assisting Ukraine, the better.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1469 on: May 06, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »
BTW: That newspaper was the Chicago Tribune
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1470 on: May 06, 2022, 09:35:59 PM »
Note: Unconfirmed at this point
If true the Russians need to start looking at their point defenses on their ships

Russian warship Admiral Makarov ‘on fire after being hit by Ukrainian missile’
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-ship-admiral-makarov-ukraine-war-b2073007.html

Second Russian Warship Struck by Ukraine: Reports
https://news.yahoo.com/second-russian-warship-struck-ukraine-203251876.html

Data on the ship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_frigate_Admiral_Makarov
Commissioned Dec 2017

Admiral Grigorovich-class frigate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Grigorovich-class_frigate
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1471 on: May 06, 2022, 09:41:35 PM »
Several Twitter accounts that monitor open-source flight data gathered from satellites and transponders reported that known Russian rescue vessels and aircraft had rushed to the area, shortly after reports emerged that the Makarov had been struck with a missile.

Those accounts also reported that an unarmed U.S. military RQ-4 Global Hawk surveillance drone had been circling the area, indicating that an incident may have occurred. Photos of a ship burning, claimed to be the Makarov by users, were circulating on social media, though these have been unconfirmed.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1472 on: May 06, 2022, 09:46:23 PM »
Anyone know if the US has provided the Ukrainians with ECM equipment?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1473 on: May 09, 2022, 07:11:28 PM »
The Russians are saying Musk will be held accountable for
"Supplying the fascist forces in Ukraine with military comm equipment"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1523464037048020992

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
If I die under mysterious circumstances, it’s been nice knowin ya
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1474 on: May 09, 2022, 08:37:47 PM »
Blame Jan 6
You can't make this stuff up but they can  :facepalm:

MSNBC’s @NicolleDWallace: "January 6th made everything about invading Ukraine easier for Vladimir Putin” pic.twitter.com/nuEGGwd2w5

— Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) May 9, 2022
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/05/09/msnbcs-nicolle-wallace-says-january-6-made-vladimir-putins-minor-incursion-into-ukraine-easier/
- Calvin and Hobbes