Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131022 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1500 on: May 13, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »
So we're really going to do this dance then?

Perhaps that's Putin's plan for economic recovery.  Let NATO run into the Urals, than soak up that sweet US reconstruction money we always throw around after an invasion.

The Bear That Roared?  ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1501 on: May 14, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
The Bear That Roared?  ;)
Hey, unless the rest of NATO's new hardware is better than the US Navy's Littoral Combat ships, the result might be a Duchy of Grand Fenwick Russian win.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1502 on: May 14, 2022, 10:24:30 AM »
What's so awful about the LCS platform?  I hear people dogging it frequently but I don't grok why it's so bad.  I've heard about the hull cracks, but that could happen with any ship.  People seem to have animosity to the notion of a coastal / shore craft.

I find it rather amusing that the Navy has more Littoral craft than the Coast Guard, but then again the Coast Guard doesn't engage in shore combat (yet... until the government finds some way to benefit from shelling US beachgoers). 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #1503 on: May 14, 2022, 12:11:59 PM »
What's so awful about the LCS platform?  I hear people dogging it frequently but I don't grok why it's so bad.  I've heard about the hull cracks, but that could happen with any ship.  People seem to have animosity to the notion of a coastal / shore craft.

I find it rather amusing that the Navy has more Littoral craft than the Coast Guard, but then again the Coast Guard doesn't engage in shore combat (yet... until the government finds some way to benefit from shelling US beachgoers).

It's the size of a FF, with less capability than a PT, while being more expensive than a DDG, and fragile to the point of early structural failure from light operations.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1504 on: May 14, 2022, 12:19:02 PM »
Not sure if this means Turkey is softening it's stance or not but it appears the PKK is the sticking point.

Kalin said the militant Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) - designated a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the United States and the European Union - was fund-raising and recruiting in Europe and its presence is "strong and open and acknowledged" in Sweden in particular.

"What needs to be done is clear: they have to stop allowing PKK outlets, activities, organisations, individuals and other types of presence to...exist in those countries," Kalin said.

"NATO membership is always a process. We will see how things go. But this is the first point that we want to bring to the attention of all the allies as well as to Swedish authorities," he added. "Of course we want to have a discussion, a negotiation with Swedish counterparts."

Exclusive: Turkey 'not closing door' to Sweden, Finland NATO entry, Erdogan advisor says
https://www.reuters.com/world/exclusive-turkey-not-closing-door-sweden-finland-nato-entry-erdogan-advisor-says-2022-05-14/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1505 on: May 14, 2022, 12:22:34 PM »
It's the size of a FF, with less capability than a PT, while being more expensive than a DDG, and fragile to the point of early structural failure from light operations.

The DC class
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #1506 on: May 14, 2022, 12:24:53 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1507 on: May 14, 2022, 12:30:39 PM »
Turkey has been a NATO member since 1952.

I've got a lot of serious reservations about Turkey's membership these days. They've made a hard, hard turn towards Islamic religious ideology in the past 15 or so years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1508 on: May 14, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »

I've got a lot of serious reservations about Turkey's membership these days. They've made a hard, hard turn towards Islamic religious ideology in the past 15 or so years.

If I were the King of NATO, I'd trade Turkey for Finland and Sweden in a heartbeat. I wouldn'r even ask foir a future draft pick.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #1509 on: May 14, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »

Ata-Turk's dream is definitely dead.  :'(

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1510 on: May 14, 2022, 08:45:07 PM »
Ata-Turk's dream is definitely dead.  :'(

At least until Erdogan is gone. A lot of the Turkish people don't like him or his policies, but they're afraid to say or do anything.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1511 on: May 14, 2022, 09:33:07 PM »
Not sure if this means Turkey is softening it's stance or not but it appears the PKK is the sticking point.

Exclusive: Turkey 'not closing door' to Sweden, Finland NATO entry, Erdogan advisor says
https://www.reuters.com/world/exclusive-turkey-not-closing-door-sweden-finland-nato-entry-erdogan-advisor-says-2022-05-14/

It's just a question of how many zeroes go on the check.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1512 on: May 15, 2022, 01:01:23 PM »
Finland and Sweden have said they're applying for membership.
Needs to be approved by parliament(s) though. Not expected to be problem.

And saw this
Erdogan could be saying one thing in public and another in private. Not uncommon.

President Sauli Niinisto says he spoke to the Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan a month ago in which Erdgan said he would support Finland joining Nato, so he says he is "confused" by reports Turkey may object and says he is prepared to speak to him again.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61441664?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6280d7d99f4dc85502039202%26No%20indication%20of%20any%20problems%20with%20us%20joining%20Nato%2C%20says%20Finnish%20PM%262022-05-15T10%3A45%3A40.520Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:1ea34cc5-32c9-4fb5-ad6a-f1e003dbe9b1&pinned_post_asset_id=6280d7d99f4dc85502039202&pinned_post_type=share
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1514 on: May 16, 2022, 09:47:15 AM »
I don't agree with expanding NATO.  The USA does not need to commit itself to going to war on behalf of foreign countries, especially against a nuclear power.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:47:22 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1519 on: May 17, 2022, 08:30:33 AM »
Wow the female in that video is drinking the Russia is Supreme koolaide. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1520 on: May 17, 2022, 10:22:04 AM »
It's all fun and games until someone takes your Happy Meal away.
Or someone will start the new McRusskie's franchise. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1521 on: May 17, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »
Or someone will start the new McRusskie's franchise.

Home of the Big McPutin and free vodka refills.
And broken ice cream machines of course
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:44:20 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1522 on: May 17, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »
If you ever worked on one of those machines you would be lucky if it's broke.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1523 on: May 18, 2022, 01:50:23 PM »
U.S. may be (probably will be) sending another $40B in aid to Ukraine:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/05/18/holy-cash-cow-heres-a-breakdown-of-the-40-billion-aid-package-for-ukraine/

Well, not exactly to Ukraine:

The bill — which will be considered by the Senate this week — would authorize about $20 billion for the Department of Defense, and includes:

— $17 billion for U.S. military operations, including the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, and to replace U.S. military equipment sent to Ukraine;
— $1.8 billion in U.S. military equipment for Ukraine;
— $414 million for “research, development, test and evaluation” related to the Ukraine war;
— $15 million for U.S. troop pay related to the war; and
— $13.9 million for the Defense Health Program.

An additional roughly $20 billion is for Ukraine bilateral assistance, the State Department, international organizations, and other agencies, and includes:

— $8.77 billion in economic assistance for Ukraine;
— $4.35 billion in humanitarian aid for Ukraine;
— $4 billion for foreign military financing program (run by the State Department);
— $900 million for the Administration for Children and Families for refugee and entrant assistance;
— $500 million for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development;
— $400 million for international narcotics control and law enforcement to combat human trafficking and collect evidence of war crimes;
— $350 million for the State Department’s Migration and Refugee Assistance;
— $190 million for the State Department for “Diplomatic Programs”;
— $150 million for the Global Agriculture and Food Security Program;
— $110 million for the State Department for embassy security, construction, and maintenance;
— $100 million for the State Department for non-proliferation, anti-terrorism, de-mining and related programs;
— $67 million for the Justice Department;
— $54 million for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to carry out public health and disease detection related to Ukraine;
— $17 million for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID);
— $10 million for the State Department’s “Capital Investment Fund”;
— $4 million for the State Department’s Office of Inspector General;
— $2 million for “salaries and expenses” to provide regulatory and technical support; and
— $1 million for USAID’s Office of Inspector General.

The $40 billion would be in addition to the $13.6 billion in aid that Congress passed in March, for a total of roughly $53 billion over the period of two months — the largest foreign aid package to move through Congress in at least two decades, according to the New York Times.

Somewhere in there is "10% for the Big Guy"

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1524 on: May 18, 2022, 01:56:00 PM »
And that's on top of the $13B we already sent

13B + 40B = $53 billion

Russia's entire defense budget was $60-65* billion in 2021

* Varies a bit according to who you ask.
- Calvin and Hobbes