Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131008 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1550 on: May 22, 2022, 03:26:57 PM »
Supposedly we are down to a ten week global wheat supply. It sounds like it will hit other countries more than it will the US. Still, it probably wouldn't hurt to pick up a sack of flour now vs in a couple months.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/zelenskyys-global-food-crisis-official
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1552 on: May 23, 2022, 03:44:52 PM »
When does the North American winter wheat harvest start? I know that oats is about 6 weeks from now but wheat isn't grown here.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #1553 on: May 23, 2022, 04:18:23 PM »
When does the North American winter wheat harvest start? I know that oats is about 6 weeks from now but wheat isn't grown here.

Depends on where. On the Gulf Coast it can start as early as late April. TX/OK/KS are usually spread across May. North Dakotas/Nebraska can be late as mid-June.

I fully expect production to be way down, and what wasn't lost to drought will be stupid expensive to harvest due to fuel prices.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:51:51 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1554 on: May 23, 2022, 04:25:26 PM »
Depends on where. On the Gulf Coast it can start as early as late April. TX/OK/KS are usually across May. North Dakotas/Nebraska can be late as mid-June.

I fully expect production to be way down, and what wasn't lost to drought will be stupid expensive to harvest due to fuel prices.

Brad

And what they do manage to harvest will be sold overseas for better prices.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1555 on: May 23, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »
No drought here in southern Missouri but we had a long, cold cloudy spring so it's nice and green but running a little behind. They might be getting the soybeans out in November at this rate.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1556 on: May 23, 2022, 04:38:57 PM »
Heard fertilizer may be an issue since a lot of it came from Russia.  True or false?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1557 on: May 23, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »
Heard fertilizer may be an issue since a lot of it came from Russia.  True or false?

Read a few weeks ago where one of the major rail shippers in this country is refusing to transport US-made fertilizer due to "capacity issues".  And they threatened to cancel existing contracts with shippers if they complained.  Seemed quite strange to me, almost as though someone is trying to worsen food shortages in this country.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1558 on: May 23, 2022, 05:03:27 PM »

No, it comes from crude oil refinement, which is what is being killed off right *expletive deleted*ing now.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1559 on: May 23, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »

It is up 200% plus and there is a shortage. Most farmers around here are going with soybeans this year due to the price increase.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1560 on: May 23, 2022, 05:24:03 PM »

My dad's farmer grew Winter wheat and oats in CA, and that always came off in March. I see the wheat around here comes off mostly in April.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #1561 on: May 23, 2022, 05:37:41 PM »
My dad's farmer grew Winter wheat and oats in CA, and that always came off in March. I see the wheat around here comes off mostly in April.

Sounds really early, but I'm only familiar with hard red winter wheat which ripens south to north. Harvesters start in the gulf states in late April to early May and migrate north following ripening crops. They end up in the northern states in August to begin spring and summer wheat harvest.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:59:51 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1562 on: May 23, 2022, 05:50:42 PM »

Well, Russia can’t export anything of consequence right now (except natural gas to Germany).  They’re the major supplier of potash to the world.  China has banned exports of urea.  And most of the rest of world has stopped making other nitrogen fertilizers because natural gas is too expensive.

We (the USA) can get by, mostly, though not without near term disruption (including price volatility), but much of the 3rd world is heading for famine if we can’t get them adequate amounts of fertilizer in whatever form they can use.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1563 on: May 23, 2022, 06:09:17 PM »
The soft winter wheat in Washington harvest usually starts shortly after the fourth of July and the spring wheat harvest follows a month later.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1564 on: May 23, 2022, 06:11:13 PM »
Read a few weeks ago where one of the major rail shippers in this country is refusing to transport US-made fertilizer due to "capacity issues".  And they threatened to cancel existing contracts with shippers if they complained.  Seemed quite strange to me, almost as though someone is trying to worsen food shortages in this country.

The issue is that the fertilizer producer(also DEF) is shipping in private cars. The railroad is behind meeting delivery contracts to other companies so were reducing all private car traffic. Of course we need to kill the Jones Act and build more rail but the usual suspects will block every effort to prosper.

Not enough but bought my #50 bag of flour last month.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1565 on: May 23, 2022, 06:41:01 PM »
This years fertilizer, fuel and other inputs for agriculture was contracted last year for this years growing season, so unless prices start to fall, next year is going to be very expensive.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1566 on: May 23, 2022, 07:01:22 PM »
And what they do manage to harvest will be sold overseas for better prices.

Depends who's holding futures contracts and what's needed for domestic food production.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #1568 on: May 24, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
NATO would do themselves a favor to boot Turkey and let them dangle for a bit. They need a little does of humility.

Brad
-HankB

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1569 on: May 24, 2022, 10:14:19 AM »
I hope Turkey does veto adding any more countries to NATO.  It does not help the USA to commit itself to being nuked to protect foreign nations.  I don't want to get my family killed over Sweden or Finland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1570 on: May 24, 2022, 06:18:14 PM »
I never liked Kissinger anyway.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/henry-kissinger-warns-against-defeat-174812366.html

And now I have lost any shred of respect I might once have held for the man. Why should Ukraine cede territory to Russia? Russia is 28 times the area of Ukraine, and has 3-1/2 times the population. If Russia wants to be part of the stability of Europe, it can start by behaving like a civilized nation, and not attacking it's smaller neighbors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1571 on: May 24, 2022, 06:54:20 PM »
I never liked Kissinger anyway.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/henry-kissinger-warns-against-defeat-174812366.html

And now I have lost any shred of respect I might once have held for the man. Why should Ukraine cede territory to Russia? Russia is 28 times the area of Ukraine, and has 3-1/2 times the population. If Russia wants to be part of the stability of Europe, it can start by behaving like a civilized nation, and not attacking it's smaller neighbors.

A) That *expletive deleted*er is still alive!?!
told a gathering in Davos

(B) Ah yes the WEF that wants us all enslaved. *expletive deleted*ck those traitors.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1572 on: May 24, 2022, 06:56:07 PM »
A) That *expletive deleted*er is still alive!?! 

98 years old.
He seemed old when I was a kid back in the late 60s-70s
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1573 on: May 24, 2022, 08:48:00 PM »
98 years old.
He seemed old when I was a kid back in the late 60s-70s

I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been killed by a Vietnam veteran for colluding with the North Vietnamese by passing to them our weekly air strike plans.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1574 on: May 24, 2022, 10:59:21 PM »
I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been killed by a Vietnam veteran for colluding with the North Vietnamese by passing to them our weekly air strike plans.

He’ll get his due one way or another.  Men like that don’t trust in the forgiveness of Jesus, typically.