Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133638 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1600 on: June 20, 2022, 05:34:08 PM »
Attacking a NATO ally would make things spiral entirely out of control - Russia would be facing retaliatory attacks worldwide, from Murmansk to Vladivostok from all 30 NATO countries.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N2Y72W9

So far just posturing.  Hopefully it stays that way.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1601 on: June 20, 2022, 05:38:59 PM »
Considering Ramstein would probably be a smoking hole by the time they got back, it makes sense. Unorthodox, sure, but might why go to the trouble of having jets return to a base (or more likely bases) that no longer existed.

Brad
But you give them a full fuel load so they have some options after hitting their target.  Home base and the target are not the only two places to land or bail out.  I hope it was just a matter of the politician misunderstanding something told to them. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1602 on: June 20, 2022, 05:40:48 PM »
Considering Ramstein would probably be a smoking hole by the time they got back, it makes sense. Unorthodox, sure, but might why go to the trouble of having jets return to a base (or more likely bases) that no longer existed.

Years ago, when France's nuclear deterrent was the Mirage IV fighter-bomber, it was part of their doctrine that in the nuclear role the planes would make one-way trips to their targets in the USSR, similar to what the article described.  This was due to the Mirage IV's limited range, and perhaps partly due to the belief that in the event of nuclear war there wouldn't be a France to return to.
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1603 on: June 20, 2022, 06:05:24 PM »
This quote just sounds odd.  Anyone know anything about that situation?  Weird way to treat pilots.  I am assuming they had a full fuel load.  The quote makes it sound like they had less than a full tank deliberately.

The guy says "Fighters*" so in 1962 that meant probably F-104 Starfighters, F105 Thunderchiefs or some shiny new F-4s.  Ramstein is 702 miles dead straight line distance from the Ukrainian border, so figure with some evasive, and going inside the Soviet Union they had 800 miles to go, at least.  Wiki tells me the
Ferry
range for those planes is 1600, 1900 and 1450 miles respectively.  That's one way, slick, with no weapons and tanks.  Give them a bomb, and a flight profile that was more speed than efficacy and it was probably everything they could do to just get there.

Think of it like Doolittle's Raid.  Drop bomb, aim for somewhere friendly, and cross fingers.

* I don't know why they wouldn't have used some of SAC's bombers for this mission, they had the range in the 60's, and were presumably on Ramstein. Perhaps the senator is misremembering, or the bombers were elsewhere.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1604 on: June 20, 2022, 06:07:23 PM »

Brad

And the jets would be sprinting low and fast.  They might be launching with full internal fuel and burn through nearly all of it in the race to target.

ETA: as usual all the answers were on the next page.  :P

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1605 on: June 20, 2022, 06:39:37 PM »
This quote just sounds odd.  Anyone know anything about that situation?  Weird way to treat pilots.  I am assuming they had a full fuel load.  The quote makes it sound like they had less than a full tank deliberately.

Probably not a deliberate shortage of fuel.  The jet fighter-bombers of that era were fairly short legged, especially carrying large external loads.  Also, the nuclear weapons of that time were pretty heavy vs. their yield.  All of this combined makes it possible the aircraft were not capable of carrying a full load of fuel along with a full weapons load without exceeding gross weight limitations.
Strategic bombers in WWII frequently had to make the fuel versus bomb load tradeoff depending on what targets they were flying against.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1606 on: June 20, 2022, 11:04:41 PM »
But you give them a full fuel load so they have some options after hitting their target.  Home base and the target are not the only two places to land or bail out.  I hope it was just a matter of the politician misunderstanding something told to them.
Agree with RocketMan. These were fighter planes, not bombers. Maybe they were aimed at targets deep inside the Soviet Union, and even with full tanks weren't capable of a round trip with that payload.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1607 on: June 21, 2022, 12:56:23 AM »
Russia: we did not invade Ukraine, and there is no war there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtV0HsYzmg

I'm glad that got sorted out.  Can we have our $53 billion back please?
                         - Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1608 on: June 21, 2022, 01:31:07 AM »
Times were different. I dug and dug once to find the correct nomenclature for some obscure control box in a UH-3H helicopter. Found in an obsolete manual, the box was from its SH-3 days and it was for the nuke gravity bomb or depth charge. Now that’s a one way trip.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1609 on: June 21, 2022, 08:31:45 AM »

I see Psaki is fitting in her new job

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 08:49:33 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1610 on: June 21, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
I see Psaki is fitting in her new job

- Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1612 on: June 21, 2022, 12:05:40 PM »

Fighter bombers of that era were short legged.

I’ve read multiple books of fighter pilots of that era saying that their nuclear mission would have been one way.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1613 on: June 21, 2022, 01:33:13 PM »
^^^Plus, I think doctrine at the time was a high-speed low altitude approach to avoid radar detection, and that would really drink up the fuel.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1614 on: June 21, 2022, 02:17:09 PM »
^^^Plus, I think doctrine at the time was a high-speed low altitude approach to avoid radar detection, and that would really drink up the fuel.

Very true.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1615 on: June 21, 2022, 02:21:25 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtV0HsYzmg

I'm glad that got sorted out.  Can we have our $53 billion back please?

Good.

Since there's no war, and since Russia has gotten our attention, how about Russia withdraws its forces from ALL of Ukraine (including the Crimean peninsula) and we all sit down at a table and discuss the "issues"?

I still remember what our drill sergeants told us in Army Basic Training in 1966, in response to the political position that the United States was not "at war" in Vietnam: "It doesn't matter what the politicians in Washington call it. When there are people with guns shooting at you, that's a war."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1616 on: June 21, 2022, 04:23:09 PM »
Fighter bombers of that era were short legged.

I’ve read multiple books of fighter pilots of that era saying that their nuclear mission would have been one way.
I wasn't really questioning the technical side of things.  The way it was worded sounded like they gave them only enough fuel to reach the target rather than they lacked the range.  It was either poor wording or the young politician misunderstood what the Air Force was doing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1617 on: June 21, 2022, 04:30:38 PM »
I wasn't really questioning the technical side of things.  The way it was worded sounded like they gave them only enough fuel to reach the target rather than they lacked the range. It was either poor wording or the young politician misunderstood what the Air Force was doing.

Both.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1618 on: June 21, 2022, 04:35:20 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1619 on: June 21, 2022, 10:51:48 PM »
Ok, so Russia is holding up grain headed for North Africa with the blockades and mines. Famine is predicted if this grain doesn't get there. Does any country, Egypt ect.., have enough Navy to go say "Hey we want our grain."?

I could get real sporty all over the world
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1620 on: June 21, 2022, 11:03:33 PM »
Ok, so Russia is holding up grain headed for North Africa with the blockades and mines. Famine is predicted if this grain doesn't get there. Does any country, Egypt ect.., have enough Navy to go say "Hey we want our grain."?

https://euobserver.com/world/155279

Russia is blocking Ukrainian ports so they can't ship their grain out, and is imposing a 30% tax on Russian grain exports.  And they're saber-rattling the Lithuanians over land access to Kaliningrad.  Fun times.
                         - Barack Obama

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1621 on: June 21, 2022, 11:03:41 PM »

I could get real sporty all over the world

Any country that relies on imported fertilizer (and especially imported food) to meet even  the basic needs of its citizens is in serious risk of famine for the next few years.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1622 on: June 21, 2022, 11:19:04 PM »
https://euobserver.com/world/155279

Russia is blocking Ukrainian ports so they can't ship their grain out, and is imposing a 30% tax on Russian grain exports.  And they're saber-rattling the Lithuanians over land access to Kaliningrad.  Fun times.
An article I saw on the Kalingrad thing metioned that only certain items were banned from ground transport through Lithuania.  It was part of the EU sanctions they are following. 

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1623 on: June 21, 2022, 11:33:36 PM »
An article I saw on the Kalingrad thing metioned that only certain items were banned from ground transport through Lithuania.  It was part of the EU sanctions they are following. 

Yes, that is my understanding.  But Russia is leaning on Lithuania specifically, not the whole EU.  Perhaps they believe that Lithuania will cave.
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1624 on: June 22, 2022, 09:38:05 AM »
Yes, that is my understanding.  But Russia is leaning on Lithuania specifically, not the whole EU.  Perhaps they believe that Lithuania will cave.

If they believe that, they are smoking crack.  Lithuania is the most nationalistic of the Baltic States, remembers and hates the Soviets, and has a large group of folks that returned home in the 90's after long careers in the US military.  Of all the former SSR's, Lithuania is at the top of the list to successfully tell Russia to *expletive deleted*ck Off.  If Putin can't subdue the Ukraine, he has zero chance in Lithuania.

And that's before the rest of NATO wakes up and gets involved.