Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131003 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1650 on: August 01, 2022, 11:15:23 PM »
Just happen to noticed a An-124 on flightradar24 from Leipzig Germany descending in the DC area . According to wiki Antonov Airlines (Ukrainian cargo airline) operates An-124s out of Leipzig since moving its air ops there from Kyiv since the war started.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:41:29 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1651 on: August 01, 2022, 11:20:13 PM »
More HIMARS for Ukraine?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1652 on: August 01, 2022, 11:23:24 PM »
Himars and 155 shells was announced today. Maybe pallets of cash also.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1653 on: August 01, 2022, 11:25:12 PM »
Flt A124 on flightradar24
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1654 on: August 01, 2022, 11:36:53 PM »
Appears to be landing at Dulles
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1655 on: August 02, 2022, 12:00:14 AM »
Appears to be landing at Dulles

Huh?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1656 on: August 02, 2022, 12:01:09 AM »
Huh?

Full name Washington Dulles International Airport
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1657 on: August 02, 2022, 12:04:13 AM »
Full name Washington Dulles International Airport

I know that.  What flights are you talking about?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1658 on: August 02, 2022, 12:07:40 AM »
I know that.  What flights are you talking about?

Go back to reply 1650
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1659 on: August 08, 2022, 09:57:59 AM »
They heard there was free food

“There are reports that 100,000 North Korean volunteers are prepared to come and take part in the conflict,” Korotchenko said on Russian Channel One.

Korotchenko was notably interested in what he called the North Korean’s “wealth of experience with counter-battery warfare” — a telling remark given reports of Ukraine’s long-range artillery success since acquiring US-made HIMARS rocket systems in June.

“If North Korea expresses a desire to meet its international duty to fight against Ukrainian fascism, we should let them,” Korotchenko said.

Seemingly no consideration was given to what constitutes a “volunteer” force in an authoritarian state such as North Korea. (New York Post)

North Korea Reportedly Offers Russia 100K 'Volunteers' for War in Ukraine
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/08/08/north-korea-offers-to-send-russia-troops-n2611410
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1660 on: August 08, 2022, 01:44:18 PM »
I wonder how much North Korea is going to charge Russia for those "volunteers"?  You know they won't be volunteers, and Korea won't provide their services without receiving something in return.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1661 on: August 08, 2022, 02:27:17 PM »
I don't expect a North Korean soldier will be expensive. 

North Koreans bribe gov officials to get the opportunity to work in Siberia.

This could be really bad.  The Korean war was a bloodbath, and I'm sure N. Korea and Russia won't care how many of the N. Korean soldiers die.  And I think it is bad thing for N. Korea to get some combat experience.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1662 on: August 08, 2022, 03:55:13 PM »
Russia is getting a fair bit of combat experience against a lot of western weapon systems, not good. Not to mention the alleged blackmarket in all the stuff we're sending them.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1663 on: August 08, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »
I don't expect a North Korean soldier will be expensive. 

North Koreans bribe gov officials to get the opportunity to work in Siberia.

This could be really bad.  The Korean war was a bloodbath, and I'm sure N. Korea and Russia won't care how many of the N. Korean soldiers die.  And I think it is bad thing for N. Korea to get some combat experience.
I thought the U.N. forces were doing well against the Norks until a couple of million Chinese "volunteers" (there's that word again) headed South across the Yalu River . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1664 on: August 11, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
I thought the U.N. forces were doing well against the Norks until a couple of million Chinese "volunteers" (there's that word again) headed South across the Yalu River . . .

Dugout Doug: Chinese? I don't see no Chinese. I don't care what intel, recon, and the troops on the ground are saying there are no Chinese. Now let me get back to telling these reporters how great I am.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 10:03:16 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1665 on: August 11, 2022, 09:27:00 AM »
Man Tries To Get Into Heaven By Showing God Ukraine Flag In His Twitter Bio
https://babylonbee.com/news/man-tries-to-get-into-heaven-by-showing-god-ukraine-flag-in-his-twitter-bio
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1666 on: August 23, 2022, 05:37:46 PM »
Holy hell - we just gave them another like $800 million a few days ago, and I saw where reportedly only 30% of materiel is getting downrange.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/08/23/us-to-announce-3-billion-aid-package-wednesday-on-six-month-anniversary-of-russias-invasion/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1667 on: August 23, 2022, 06:33:47 PM »
War is one big grift.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1668 on: August 23, 2022, 06:35:38 PM »
Holy hell - we just gave them another like $800 million a few days ago, and I saw where reportedly only 30% of materiel is getting downrange.

Where?

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1669 on: August 23, 2022, 06:37:13 PM »
I read they are lining up 3 billion more getting ready for a long war in Ukraine.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/us-prepares-3bn-more-ukraine-defense-aid-fight-years-come
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 06:56:45 PM by Ron »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1670 on: August 23, 2022, 10:46:40 PM »
let's see if someone flees the country with billions in their pockets. Plus 10% for the Big Guy.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1671 on: August 26, 2022, 09:43:04 PM »
Are all these weapons we're sending over there surplus stuff or are they weapons our forces would need if we were drawn into a larger conflict?

Is our military becoming weaker or less capable due to these large shipments?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1672 on: August 26, 2022, 09:50:06 PM »
Are all these weapons we're sending over there surplus stuff or are they weapons our forces would need if we were drawn into a larger conflict?

Is our military becoming weaker or less capable due to these large shipments?

Yes, until stocks can be replenished.  I doubt they will be in a timely fashion.  And when they are replenished, the stocks will be paid for with freshly printed money.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1673 on: August 26, 2022, 10:32:12 PM »
Counterpoint: is it possible that the replenishment process will provide more capable or more reliable weapons?

A lot of the anti-armor stuff we are sending isn’t likely to have been needed very much since the fall of Iraq, and I wonder if there is an operational benefit to replenishing with fresher munitions.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1674 on: August 26, 2022, 10:43:14 PM »
Counterpoint: is it possible that the replenishment process will provide more capable or more reliable weapons?

A lot of the anti-armor stuff we are sending isn’t likely to have been needed very much since the fall of Iraq, and I wonder if there is an operational benefit to replenishing with fresher munitions.

We were dropping vietnam era bombs in the persian puddle so yes that is possible. I should have bought raytheon stock.

Still pretty happy to see Russia getting its teeth kicked.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.