Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131010 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1750 on: September 22, 2022, 12:54:14 PM »
Which leads to speculation that the nuclear threat might be hollow as well.

I wonder that too but

It works 100% = Half the world is a nuclear wasteland
It works 50% = Half the world is a nuclear wasteland
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1751 on: September 22, 2022, 01:00:55 PM »
I wonder that too but

It works 100% = Half the world is a nuclear wasteland
It works 50% = Half the world is a nuclear wasteland

Exactly. Unlike a tank, all it takes is for one functional nuke to change everything.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1752 on: September 22, 2022, 01:04:15 PM »
Could solve the global warming problem though.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1753 on: September 22, 2022, 01:59:39 PM »
Putin popping off one or two tactical nukes in Ukraine wouldn't surprise me at all.  His level of desperation is increasing enough that I believe he could justify it in his own mind.  However, I think his own people would remove him from power afterwards.  And it might be too late to avoid escalation when they do.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1754 on: September 22, 2022, 03:24:20 PM »
Russians are fleeing to Georgia, as well:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62996212
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1755 on: September 22, 2022, 04:52:39 PM »
I wonder what John Kerry would say about the climatic impact of a nuke or two?

Would it be better or worse than all of the pollution his private jet has spewed while he's gone around hectoring people that their evil and killing the earth.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1756 on: September 22, 2022, 05:05:45 PM »
Would it be better or worse than all of the pollution his private jet has spewed while he's gone around hectoring people that their evil and killing the earth.

We all need to buy electric cars to offset his carbon emissions
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1757 on: September 22, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »
Initially I expected to see a more blitzkrieg style of invasion. Then it was they were either purposefully going slow but enveloping strategic areas or they were getting bogged down. It was at that point I realized no sources I had access to online were in the know or more likely they were purposefully blowing information smokescreens. With everyone lying to us how can we really know let alone trust anything? It's a massive information war as well as boots on the ground.

I still tentatively believe Russia will end up with the eastern region and Crimea. Those were the regions Ukraine and NATO were preparing to fully secure before Russia invaded.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1758 on: September 22, 2022, 06:12:11 PM »
Initially I expected to see a more blitzkrieg style of invasion. Then it was they were either purposefully going slow but enveloping strategic areas or they were getting bogged down. It was at that point I realized no sources I had access to online were in the know or more likely they were purposefully blowing information smokescreens. With everyone lying to us how can we really know let alone trust anything? It's a massive information war as well as boots on the ground.

I still tentatively believe Russia will end up with the eastern region and Crimea. Those were the regions Ukraine and NATO were preparing to fully secure before Russia invaded.

From what I heard talked about, Ukraine did their best to make some changes after Russia just blitzed into the Crimea several years ago.  I heard they had made a lot of plans and preparation to ambush and attack/ambush any Russian incursion into country along the major routes into the country.  That would have slowed them down a lot.  Either the same person or someone else mentioned that Russia really didn't have the logistics to maintain a fast invasion against significant opposition.  Once they were bogged down a few days, they had to change strategy and slow down. 

I was thinking Russia would be able to wear down the Ukrainian military with artillery and numbers among other things and eventually take over Ukraine after which it would be a guerilla war if any.  Now, who knows where it will end up.  I imagine NATO countries in Central or Eastern Europe woke up to what would happen if Putin took the Ukraine too easily. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1759 on: September 22, 2022, 06:45:30 PM »

I still tentatively believe Russia will end up with the eastern region and Crimea.

With a tit for tat insurgency for the foreseeable future
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1760 on: September 22, 2022, 06:46:11 PM »
Russians are fleeing to Georgia, as well:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62996212

More votes for Stacey Abrams?

(OK, ok, I know it's not that Georgia.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1761 on: September 22, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »

Well goddamn it, she's got to be governor of some Georgia somewhere!

:rofl:

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #1762 on: September 22, 2022, 07:12:30 PM »

Fifty bucks she'll rush to get them the vote not realizing the "wrong Georgia" and then call it right wing voter suppresion and the reason she lost again

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1763 on: September 22, 2022, 07:18:06 PM »

Did you think the dems really care if the votes aren't from the right Georgia? You calling for voter suppression or something?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1764 on: September 24, 2022, 12:18:48 PM »
Not the feared Soviet Bear of old.

But observers say he has become side-lined in Moscow in recent months, with many blaming him for the chaotic logistics operations that have dogged Russia's advance and seen their troops left undersupplied.

In recent months, the Kremlin has been forced to approach North Korea and Iran - two of its only remaining allies - for new artillery and drone supplies.

Gen Bulgakov's dismissal comes as footage circulated on social media showing newly drafted Russian recruits being equipped with rusty AK-47 assault rifles.

Dmitry Bulgakov: Putin fires deputy defence chief amid supply failures
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63021117
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 02:12:05 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1765 on: September 24, 2022, 01:24:06 PM »
^^^As we have seen in various Third World sh*tholes, a rusty AK-47 with no maintenance can kill you just fine.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #1766 on: September 24, 2022, 02:09:04 PM »
^^^As we have seen in various Third World sh*tholes, a rusty AK-47 with no maintenance can kill you just fine.

If they work.  The video I saw showed AKs that I wouldn't shoot. Some looked like they were rusted completely shut.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1767 on: September 24, 2022, 02:49:47 PM »
This video:  https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1573650476037558281?s=20&t=rtwBAtlDzDHPkj0dw9H6dw  ?

Those would probably operate just fine. And if they really are "basic training" weapons to get draftee's used to the manual of arms, they'll do that just fine too.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1768 on: September 24, 2022, 03:02:43 PM »
My point was that's a far cry from the old Soviet army of the Cold War.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1771 on: September 25, 2022, 01:33:56 PM »
Now I see that Putin has ordered that Ukrainian men in territories he's occupied have been ordered to report for conscription - he expects the Ukrainians to fight their own people!

I don't think the Russian army has enough zampolits (political officers) to keep groups of unwilling conscripts in line - especially once they've been handed guns and ammo.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1772 on: September 25, 2022, 03:51:08 PM »
He believes his own press.  He expects the Russians in the area's oppressed by the Ukrainians to fight for their freedom.  This is one of the problems with surrounding yourself with Yes-Men.  They won't tell you when you have diverged sharply from reality.

American leaders are not immune to this effect.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1773 on: September 25, 2022, 04:04:30 PM »
He believes his own press.  He expects the Russians in the area's oppressed by the Ukrainians to fight for their freedom.  This is one of the problems with surrounding yourself with Yes-Men.  They won't tell you when you have diverged sharply from reality.

American leaders are not immune to this effect.

Only a ultra MAGA fascist extreme right wing racist white supremacist wouldn't go
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1774 on: September 25, 2022, 06:00:28 PM »
I don’t think it is beyond belief that there would be some Ukrainians willing to fight on behalf of the Russians. Probably not enough to make the difference though, and probably not as many as before he started the war.