Author Topic: Train Robbers  (Read 2844 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Train Robbers
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2022, 10:42:39 PM »
Via the Colonel...

It would seem desirable to devise a system which would make sure, first, that the riot would stop; and second, that only the leaders would feel the weight of social disapproval.

Let us consider such a means - the 22-caliber rimfire rifle.  This weapon, properly sighted and equipped with a noise suppressor, may be used with surgical delicacy to neutralize mob leaders without risk to other members of the group, without noise and with scant danger of death to the subject.  A low-velocity 22 bullet in the lung will not knock a man down, and in these days of modern antisepsis it will almost never kill him if he can get to a hospital in a reasonable time.  It will, however, absolutely terminate his interest in leading a riot.

I guess things have changed from the Colonel's time...

Remind me: How many riots did Jeff Cooper quell by this method?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2022, 10:47:26 PM »
No idea... I'm guessing, from some of the stuff that I've read, that similar tactics have been used in places like Gaza...

But hey - it is cheaper to just pass the costs of the stolen stuff along to the customers... 
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2022, 10:53:23 PM »
Water canons and high pressure hoses. Set up a few freight cars as bait, when the scum bags break open the doors hose 'em down.

Same tactics would work to shut down riots.
We have all sorts of non-lethal area denial "weapons" that never get used.
Acoustic "infra-sound" crown control weapons are a proven technology.

I kind of like the water canon with die marker in it.

https://listverse.com/2016/01/22/10-shocking-and-bizarre-riot-control-weapons-from-around-the-world/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2022, 11:02:48 PM »
But hey - it is cheaper to just pass the costs of the stolen stuff along to the customers...

Until the customers get fed up with the delays and price hikes.
Your idea to "send a message" with the .22 seems like a good idea, but wouldn't permanent removal from the "gene pool" be better?  Somebody else used a good word for this - attrition - as a way to reduce/remove those that perpetrate these offenses, especially when caught "red-handed".
  [ar15]  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2022, 09:36:58 AM »
As far as businesses building this into their profit margins, I don't think any of them expected to build in what we are seeing now. When being a thief meant being stealthy, there was a lot less thievery going on. When it has become a popular pastime for our urban areas, the loss models become unsustainable. If it keeps up, we'll be paying $30 for a pair of Walmart socks.

Example:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1483969058110382081

We don't need to talk about resorting to vigilante snipers. How about some non-bizarro world common sense? How is it not ridiculous that we have fallen to the point that the thieves are the ones pepper spraying the security guards instead of the other way around? And yes, this is as much the fault of the woke businesses who say "let them steal" as it is the far left DAs in the cities where this is rampant.

These thefts are so ridiculously common now because they are fun for the thieves. We don't have to resort to the binary of doing nothing or else piling bodies. How many of these thieves would still be doing this stuff if there was even a 50% chance of them being chem sprayed or tased?

Also I note that maybe the train thefts in the OP are also no longer "built in" to the business model as I see that Southern Pacific is looking at moving infrastructure out of LA because of this increase.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »
I suspect the 'retail shrinkage' from train robberies is a drop in the bucket compared to the 'retail shrinkage' in stores due to the staff and shoplifters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2022, 11:23:16 AM »
My store is a "high shrink" store. And the company won't let us tie stuff down.

The highest shrink in the country, from what I understand, is a few miles north of us on the same road. They have roll-down garage doors in front of the windows.

Someone tried to hold up the dollar store near my old store, sprayed the clerk. Clerks commenced to kick ass. Perp got away. No police got called.
Blog under construction

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2022, 10:05:04 PM »
My store is a "high shrink" store. And the company won't let us tie stuff down.

The highest shrink in the country, from what I understand, is a few miles north of us on the same road. They have roll-down garage doors in front of the windows.

Someone tried to hold up the dollar store near my old store, sprayed the clerk. Clerks commenced to kick ass. Perp got away. No police got called.

Wait,  I know this one,  what is MLK blvd?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2022, 10:40:32 PM »
Near there... Kingshighway near Page...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2022, 11:17:51 AM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2022, 11:25:14 AM »

All hail Casiodofus Rex, garbage boy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2022, 11:48:39 AM »
I woder how many police officers were there as body guards.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2022, 01:27:16 AM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2022, 09:51:52 PM »
Did I tell y'all about the grab'n'dasher (as opposed to a shoplifter, who actually tries to be stealthy) who tried to jack a couple of hundred bucks worth of tools at my last store?

One of my customers chased him down, went MMA spider monkey (best way to describe it) on the guy. I bought the dude a gift card.

People who work for their money are gradually realizing that they don't really like the folks who steal for it.

Last week, sumdood sent my front counter guy into the back looking for a radiator he allegedly wanted to purchase. Sumdood and friend grabbed about half of an engine hoist, ran it out the front door, and into the back of a waiting truck. Last year, same store, sumdood grabbed a 175# floor jack, ran out the door with it, tossed it into a car, and gone...

They got away because nobody noticed until they were already out the door.

Things are likely to get VERY nasty this coming summer.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2022, 11:01:19 PM »
Did I tell y'all about the grab'n'dasher (as opposed to a shoplifter, who actually tries to be stealthy) who tried to jack a couple of hundred bucks worth of tools at my last store?

One of my customers chased him down, went MMA spider monkey (best way to describe it) on the guy. I bought the dude a gift card.

People who work for their money are gradually realizing that they don't really like the folks who steal for it.

Last week, sumdood sent my front counter guy into the back looking for a radiator he allegedly wanted to purchase. Sumdood and friend grabbed about half of an engine hoist, ran it out the front door, and into the back of a waiting truck. Last year, same store, sumdood grabbed a 175# floor jack, ran out the door with it, tossed it into a car, and gone...

They got away because nobody noticed until they were already out the door.

Things are likely to get VERY nasty this coming summer.

Wife and I watched a woman very calmly push a cart with a $500 flatscreen TV out of Walmart right before thanksgiving last year. She didn’t even hurry or walk briskly.

Loss prevention almost got to her before she made it out the door. In this sue happy world I wasn’t willing to end up *expletive deleted*ed in order to help him out.

It’s disgusting.

My Father in law who had been a store manager for Home Depot for over 20 years told me they used to beat the hell out of shoplifters, some overtly and others they’d “hit their heads” on every pallet rack on the way out the door.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2022, 11:30:48 PM »
A few years ago, had sumdood working for me. He threatened myself and an employee. He got fired. Shortly thereafter he got popped stealing electronics from a walmart. i.e, he tried to take more than one TV out the front door, and got noticed. He tried to run over the responding police. They actually caught him.

He's not in jail today.

Sooner or later, it will become fashionable to do bad things to the crooks.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2022, 11:35:06 PM »
A few years ago, had sumdood working for me. He threatened myself and an employee. He got fired. Shortly thereafter he got popped stealing electronics from a walmart. i.e, he tried to take more than one TV out the front door, and got noticed. He tried to run over the responding police. They actually caught him.

He's not in jail today.

Sooner or later, it will become fashionable to do bad things to the crooks.

The cops and Ms Gardener will come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who caps a crook, even in self defense.  St Louis and a lot of other big cities are basically providing security for the criminals.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2022, 07:06:40 AM »
Apparently Newsome mentioned that these thefts were being perpetrated by gangs...

He then proceeded to fall all over himself apologizing for uttering the apparently horribly racist *G* word and changed it to "organized groups."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2022, 07:17:41 AM »
That's been going on for some time... Any mention of the "gang" thing is a "racist dog whistle."

So, from what I understand, the progressive left democrats assume that all black people are affiliated with organized crime.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2022, 08:03:43 AM »
Apparently Newsome mentioned that these thefts were being perpetrated by gangs...

He then proceeded to fall all over himself apologizing for uttering the apparently horribly racist *G* word and changed it to "organized groups."

I keep telling people that Kurt Schlichter is actually writing non-fiction, rather than fiction.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2022, 08:21:47 AM »

Finger Pointing Breaks Out on the Left as It’s Revealed That Guns Are Among the Loot Being Stolen From Trains in Los Angeles
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/finger-pointing-breaks-out-on-the-left-as-its-revealed-that-guns-are-among-the-loot-being-stolen-from-trains-in-los-angeles/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2022, 08:46:11 AM »
As far as businesses building this into their profit margins, I don't think any of them expected to build in what we are seeing now. When being a thief meant being stealthy, there was a lot less thievery going on. When it has become a popular pastime for our urban areas, the loss models become unsustainable. If it keeps up, we'll be paying $30 for a pair of Walmart socks.

Example:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1483969058110382081

We don't need to talk about resorting to vigilante snipers. How about some non-bizarro world common sense? How is it not ridiculous that we have fallen to the point that the thieves are the ones pepper spraying the security guards instead of the other way around? And yes, this is as much the fault of the woke businesses who say "let them steal" as it is the far left DAs in the cities where this is rampant.

These thefts are so ridiculously common now because they are fun for the thieves. We don't have to resort to the binary of doing nothing or else piling bodies. How many of these thieves would still be doing this stuff if there was even a 50% chance of them being chem sprayed or tased?

Also I note that maybe the train thefts in the OP are also no longer "built in" to the business model as I see that Southern Pacific is looking at moving infrastructure out of LA because of this increase.
One option might be to pass legislation disallowing any liability for someone committing a crime or an accessory to such crime.  In other words, they can't sue if they get injured by employees or others while committing a crime or escaping.  Doesn't mean vigilante stuff or traps aren't still illegal, they can't sue in civil court.  That might go a long way to helping some of this.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2022, 08:48:55 AM »
Finger Pointing Breaks Out on the Left as It’s Revealed That Guns Are Among the Loot Being Stolen From Trains in Los Angeles
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/finger-pointing-breaks-out-on-the-left-as-its-revealed-that-guns-are-among-the-loot-being-stolen-from-trains-in-los-angeles/
I hope none of those guns were off the California gun list.  That might lead to some extreme violence.   ;)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge