Author Topic: Manned Rocket Flight to Prove Earth is Flat  (Read 15445 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Manned Rocket Flight to Prove Earth is Flat
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2023, 09:40:10 AM »
Honestly I think it's more of a case of people just trolling and also people exaggerating it so that they can make a YT video showing how much smarter they are than those dumb right wingers..

Ditto.  I guess you woke up earlier than me this AM.  I was going to say deliberate counterpropaganda and purposeful language distortion... for which they are getting famous.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2023, 09:45:05 AM »
Ditto.  I guess you woke up earlier than me this AM.  I was going to say deliberate counterprop.

Youtube is full of them.

Been up for the past 3 hours
Rigel (the knucklehead cat of the bunch)  don't let me sleep much past 6:30 or so which is actually fine with me because I hate sleeping late.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2023, 10:09:06 AM »
Propaganda is what it is. There's a strong astroturfing machine dedicated to making the right look ridiculous by either promulgating absurd conspiracy theories, or dredging up genuine elements of the fringe and popularizing them. For example, during the vaccine controversy, the right didn't get any chance to put forth any reasonable good faith concerns about the virus, because all you could hear was bullhorns shouting autism, 5G, microchip implantation, and deliberate mass genocide theories.

It's a brilliant strategy because it drowns out legitimate opposition and also anyone on the fence or unsure will decide not to associate with the anti-vax movement even if they otherwise might have.

As always the right gets played like a fiddle this way and haven't figured out how to turn the tables or even figured out they're being played... often they just jump to defending the crazies.

Similar things are happening now by dredging up and harping on the worst elements of anti-abortion laws, with the same exact goals and results.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2023, 11:08:43 AM »
Honestly I think it's more of a case of people just trolling and also people exaggerating it so that they can make a YT video showing how much smarter they are than those dumb right wingers..

It appears our rocket man was trolling them for money

There is quite a bit of this sentiment in the comment sections of various conservative blogs.  While not a majority by any means, lots of folks are doing the flat earth. fake moon landing, 9/11 was an inside job and the towers were imploded stuff.  From my perspective they are not trolling, they are from the lunatic fringe of the conservative right.  Most of the lunatics are also blatant racists, which is rather sickening.  As time passes it's becoming more difficult to read these blogs and their comment sections.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2023, 11:42:12 AM »
There is quite a bit of this sentiment in the comment sections of various conservative blogs.  While not a majority by any means, lots of folks are doing the flat earth. fake moon landing, 9/11 was an inside job and the towers were imploded stuff.  From my perspective they are not trolling, they are from the lunatic fringe of the conservative right.  Most of the lunatics are also blatant racists, which is rather sickening.  As time passes it's becoming more difficult to read these blogs and their comment sections.
A lot of this is very reactionary. Consider the racism piece. There is a strong reaction to the flooding of the country with immigrants since 1965, particularly poor non white immigrants. Then there is the demolition of the cities through demographics. Many go straight to full on irrational racism of the other, bypassing what I consider the legitimate arguments of destroying the culture and mores of a country through massive immigration and "multiculturalism" ie state imposed monoculture of the empire.

The ongoing total collapse of social trust and rampant cynicism has large swaths of people questioning everything that is espoused officially. With good cause I think. Lies are the coin of the realm. When official sources tell obvious lies continually, even when they tell the truth about something it's questioned.   

At this point the genie is out of the bottle and there is no going back IMO.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:54:58 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2023, 12:46:39 PM »
This sums it up, it's all some type of weird humiliation ritual being imposed on us.
Liars to the left of me, crazies to the right.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.