Author Topic: Volcano eruption in Tonga  (Read 1750 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Volcano eruption in Tonga
« on: January 15, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Volcano eruption in Tonga
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »
I blame Trump and the NRA.

Obviously the eruption was the result of rampant, institutionalized racism and global climate change.

Women and minorities to be affected disproportionately.

White people need to apologize.

The unvaccinated are causing catastrophic death tolls world wide.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 01:06:25 PM »
Sounds like it was a bit overhyped.  I don't see much of an atmospheric dust cloud.... maybe some muddying of the water affecting fishing, plankton generation.

Maybe it was G-d fishing?  "Teach a man to use half a stick over the side of the boat and he will feed himself forever."

And apparently there wasn't much of a tsunami.

I hate to sound like a naysayer --I've been wrong before --but I'll await further data before doing any pearl-clutching and hand-wringing and heading for the fainting couch.

Say, was that near McHale's Island? I know it wasn't near the Isle d'Gilligan. And Captain Nemo's lair, Lincoln Island, was purely fictional.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:23:26 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 02:06:45 PM »
. . . Say, was that near McHale's Island? I know it wasn't near the Isle d'Gilligan. And Captain Nemo's lair, Lincoln Island, was purely fictional.
McHale's island? I think Taratupa was fictional, but IIRC McHale & Crew eventually moved to New Caledonia which is real, and east of Australia. About 1200 miles from Tonga.

Hmmm . . . speaking of islands, VMF 214 was stationed on Vella La Cava for TV purposes, but in real life they had an airstrip on Vella LaVella, a little over 2000 miles from Tonga.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 02:53:55 PM »
McHale's island? I think Taratupa was fictional, but IIRC McHale & Crew eventually moved to New Caledonia which is real, and east of Australia. About 1200 miles from Tonga.

Hmmm . . . speaking of islands, VMF 214 was stationed on Vella La Cava for TV purposes, but in real life they had an airstrip on Vella LaVella, a little over 2000 miles from Tonga.

Taratupa?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 03:14:41 PM »
I don't think any South Pacific tsunami will ever reach Oklahoma.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 06:09:40 PM »
Reading up, it looks like this one's a long way from something that would make the globular warmening cultists shut up.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 07:22:34 PM »
Tsunami was a nothingburger here.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 08:16:01 PM »
Sounds like it was a bit overhyped.  I don't see much of an atmospheric dust cloud.... maybe some muddying of the water affecting fishing, plankton generation.

Maybe it was G-d fishing?  "Teach a man to use half a stick over the side of the boat and he will feed himself forever."

And apparently there wasn't much of a tsunami.

I hate to sound like a naysayer --I've been wrong before --but I'll await further data before doing any pearl-clutching and hand-wringing and heading for the fainting couch.

Say, was that near McHale's Island? I know it wasn't near the Isle d'Gilligan. And Captain Nemo's lair, Lincoln Island, was purely fictional.

Terry, 230RN

One image I saw had a scale attached that showed the dust cloud to be about 300 miles wide.

And there are reports of people hearing the explosion from hundreds of miles away. 

Tonga was hit with 4 foot high tsunami, which doesn't sound like much until you consider that Tonga is a low island.

Then there is the fact that the tsunami made it all the way to California in the form of a 4 foot wave at Port San Luis.

But, hey, that's all mild compared to what Hollywood dreams up.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 09:05:02 PM »
For all the *expletive deleted*ed up parts of our timeline, I love being able to see video of almost everything that happens on the planet minutes after it occurs.

Cool volcano.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 12:02:52 AM »

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 01:01:23 AM »
 obviously, the locals were not sacrificing enough virgins by hurling them into the volcano - it's there own fault
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 03:10:08 AM »
obviously, the locals were not sacrificing enough virgins by hurling them into the volcano - it's there own fault

Well, it was an uninhabited island, so...

Also check out the pressure wave from that thing.  It was visible to geostationary satellites.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 06:43:24 AM »
Well, it was an uninhabited island, so...

Also check out the pressure wave from that thing.  It was visible to geostationary satellites.

Makes you wonder what Krakatoa or Tambora would have looked like.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 07:15:05 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
Tsunami was a nothingburger here.

But Lord knows that I got about three or four emergency alerts about it on my phone.  We were eating breakfast at a cafe when the first alert sounded and most of the phones in the cafe went off at the same time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 09:16:45 AM »
But Lord knows that I got about three or four emergency alerts about it on my phone.  We were eating breakfast at a cafe when the first alert sounded and most of the phones in the cafe went off at the same time.

In this case, better safe than sorry. Remember the Tsunami of 2011 that hit the West Coast. I was at Santa Barbara Harbor when it hit, as we were moving our boats out to sea. I might still have some video of a floating dock being wiped out as well as damage the surge did. This wasn't a big ass fifty foot high movie wave - it was pretty much a surge. You couldn't really even see a defined wave.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 09:20:59 AM »
Reading up, it looks like this one's a long way from something that would make the globular warmening cultists shut up.

Biden will win the Nobel Peace prize for stopping global warming
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 09:39:46 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 10:07:15 PM »
Does anyone know if anyone in Tonga was killed?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 07:36:25 AM »
Does anyone know if anyone in Tonga was killed?

Was watching a guy last night on YT doing a live feed on info coming in. Basic answer yes, some reports have made it thought but we still at this point don't know if it's a few or a lot. Tonga proper appears to be not too hard hit* with their biggest problem being ash contaminating the water supplies. Last I saw last night were reports they're trying to clear the runway of ash so that relief flights can land.
He did show some photos which did show some of the smaller islands may have been hard hit by the tsunami. Loss of life may be heavy on them.
NZ and Australia are sending ships but it will take ~3 days to get there.

*To be updated
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:24:35 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 08:43:48 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 08:52:29 AM »
Images show volcanic ash all over Tonga after eruption and tsunami | 7NEWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6TbawFVzY
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 09:49:12 AM »
The big problem with tsunamis is that it's virtually impossible to predict how bad one is going to be at any particular location.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 10:22:21 AM »
From what I read, Tonga sounds like a really neat place.  I hope they get through this ok.