Author Topic: Volcano eruption in Tonga  (Read 1749 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Volcano eruption in Tonga
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 07:29:51 PM »
Considering how communications have been mostly cut off I keep thinking Starlink
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 07:58:03 PM »
Saw a report earlier today that the undersea cable that carries comms has been severed in at least 2 spots and will take at least 2 weeks to repair.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2022, 09:39:19 PM »
Considering how communications have been mostly cut off I keep thinking Starlink

I wonder if SpaceX, et al, can quickly launch a satellite package to remote locations affected by natural disasters.  Starlink does not have global coverage yet, but can they selectively turn on/off certain areas during natural disasters?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 08:47:23 AM »
I wonder if SpaceX, et al, can quickly launch a satellite package to remote locations affected by natural disasters.  Starlink does not have global coverage yet, but can they selectively turn on/off certain areas during natural disasters?
Starlink has pretty good global satellite coverage, but they don't have global reach on their ground stations.  The initial constellation required line of sight to both the gateway and the home-based transceiver. 

I believe that since last fall the new satellites getting launched are equipped with lasers for inter-satellite optical relay, which should allow for relaying to distant gateways.  Once the new satellites are ubiquitous enough then SpaceX should be able to turn on coverage anywhere, although I imagine the latency would increase if it had to hop a dozen satellites to get to a ground station.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2022, 11:07:12 AM »
This sounds like a job for Ham radio...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2022, 09:01:31 AM »
Fly320s:

"One image I saw had a scale attached that showed the dust cloud to be about 300 miles wide"

Was that a dust cloud, or just a water cloud like you get with an underwater explosion? 

https://youtu.be/zMfkO5iUkb4 (1:11)

I think one of the main problems now is, as usual, potable water. Boiling salt water does not make it safe.

It still sounds overhyped to me.  What's on page 37 or ten minutes after this lead-in story on TV that they're  trying to downplay? < :sarcasm:

Pb:

"This sounds like a job for Ham radio..."

DE Terry, but I'm not on HF any more.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:15:01 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
Update
Mostly info on the eruptions effects on the atmosphere

Tonga Volcano Updates: Interesting And Somewhat Shocking Discoveries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRSyW1TxAw4
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 10:33:41 PM »
This sounds like a job for Ham radio...

FT8 protocol
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536