Author Topic: Ground turkey?  (Read 2255 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Ground turkey?
« on: January 24, 2022, 03:28:00 PM »
I bought a pound of ground turkey a few days ago because I thought it was on sale for 99 cents, but they tricked me and it was $4.  (a different package that they were out of was 99 cents)  I was gonna just use it like beef in something with a lot of spices, but I can buy beef cheaper than that.  Is there anything where ground turkey is actually preferable to ground beef? (or ground pork)  This stuff is 93% lean, so probably mostly if not all white meat.  Some kind of white meatballs perhaps?
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Ground turkey?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 03:42:10 PM »
Since I'm allergic to beef, I use ground turkey for tacos, chili, etc.

I do season the heck out of it since it is kind of plain tasting.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 05:21:14 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 03:59:23 PM »
I can't think of anything for which it is superior.  In my experience it tends to be dry and as charby noted bland.

Fine if you can't get or eat beef, but not a superior substitute.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 04:04:03 PM »
Fine if you can't get or eat beef, but not a superior substitute.

That's what I thought. =(  I was hoping there'd be somewhere it was actually better, and I just didn't have a good enough imagination to figure it out.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 04:07:25 PM »
Perhaps I can mix it with a can of mackerel in my pantry that has been mocking me for a few years and pretend it is canned salmon.  Use it to make croquettes. (salmon patties)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:22:29 PM »
Brown it, add taco seasoning. Add it to cheese and salsa and enjoy it with tortilla chips.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 05:41:51 PM »
Freeze it then throw it in with the other meat next time you make chili.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 07:01:40 AM »
I use ground turkey almost exclusively. I don't really care for ground beef anymore, except occasionally as a hamburger done on my grill.

The 85% ground turkey is generally cheaper than 80/20 ground beef if you buy it in the 3 pound packs.

Is it "superior"? Depends on what you like, really.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 09:22:51 AM »
SWMBO and I use it all the time for pretty much anything that calls for ground beef, a concession to trying to eat a little healthier. No funky flavors and it doesn't make a lot of grease to deal with. Only trick is to either use it quickly or freeze it. It doesn't seem to last long in the fridge.

FYI... Sams has a 2.5lb 2-pack for $12. The packs are sealed well and freeze great.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 02:47:36 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »
I use ground turkey almost exclusively. I don't really care for ground beef anymore, except occasionally as a hamburger done on my grill.

The 85% ground turkey is generally cheaper than 80/20 ground beef if you buy it in the 3 pound packs.

Is it "superior"? Depends on what you like, really.

It was Honeysuckle White.  93% lean.  The stuff that was on sale that I was supposed to get was the 85%.  I had to add a little oil to the pan when I cooked it today.  Crumbled it up and added red pepper flakes and dehydrated onion as it cooked, then added water and a packet of hot and spicy taco seasoning.  It turned out okay.  (beef woulda been better)  I may try to get some of the 85% while it's still on sale, but it's not worth a special trip to the store.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 04:55:37 PM »
"It was Honeysuckle White."

We don't have that brand around here.

The common brands we have are Purdue, Shadybrook Farms, and Butterball.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 05:11:03 PM »
"It was Honeysuckle White."

We don't have that brand around here.

The common brands we have are Purdue, Shadybrook Farms, and Butterball.

Honeysuckle White is a Cargill brand

From the FAQ where the turkeys are raised.

Our turkeys come from Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 08:23:02 PM »
Grind a half pound of bacon to add in to it then you have something to work with.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 06:59:33 AM »
Honeysuckle White is a Cargill brand

From the FAQ where the turkeys are raised.

OK, we have their live birds, but I don't think we get the dead birds. Can't tell, though, because their "find a grocer" doesn't allow me to enter my zip code. It defaults to where it thinks I am, and today that's central Illinois. Tomorrow it will probably think I'm back in Atlanta, depending on which server farm I hook into when I log on in the morning.

HA! I'm 100% wrong about that!

We DO have Honeysuckle White turkey in my area, only here it's packaged under the Shadybrook Farms label. I went to Shadybrook's website, clicked "meet our farmers" and the same turkey farmers are pictured as they are for Honeysuckle.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 08:06:38 AM »
Refresh, refresh! Get out of Illinois while you can!  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 08:48:57 AM »
Grind a half pound of bacon to add in to it then you have something to work with.

I've done that before when I'm making turkey burgers.Really adds a nice spike of flavor, but really defeats the "healthier for you" reason for eating turkey in the first place.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 09:09:51 AM »
Try toasted sesame oil when mushing up the mix. Nice hint of bacon-ey flavor. Just a few drops, though. Easy to add too much.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 05:35:42 PM »
We DO have Honeysuckle White turkey in my area, only here it's packaged under the Shadybrook Farms label. I went to Shadybrook's website, clicked "meet our farmers" and the same turkey farmers are pictured as they are for Honeysuckle.

Yep, big AG company makes up/recycles "regional brands" to fool the consumer that they aren't eating food from the big nasty ag company.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 08:24:06 PM »
I once accidentally ate breakfast at a Muslim-run diner.

Turkey bacon is an abomination.

Conversely, I've never had bad Jewish deli... Some keep kosher, some don't. But they've all been at the minimum decent.
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 11:03:42 PM »
I am considering grinderizing some of my own turkeys at a future date. Right before I cook it too. Worked in too many poultry plants to not be scared of ground turkey, getting to the point I am not too keen on pre-ground beef. Surface area is not your friend.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 12:36:21 AM »
I once accidentally ate breakfast at a Muslim-run diner.

Turkey bacon is an abomination.
Turkey bacon can be okay.
The local Muslim pizza shop does beef “bacon” as a topping and it is delicious.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 06:52:45 AM »
Yep, big AG company makes up/recycles "regional brands" to fool the consumer that they aren't eating food from the big nasty ag company.

I realize that. But I thought that Shadybrook was a Tyson foods subsidiary.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 06:59:02 AM »
I've yet to have a decent turkey bacon. The first kind I tried, I think it was Butterball, some years ago was just loaded with freaking bone chips to the point where it wasn't edible.

The breakfast bar at the one State Dept. site I was at when I worked in DC had turkey bacon. It tasted good, but the texture was... odd. VERY chewy.

So, I just went back to using real bacon when I want bacon. I don't eat that much of it, so it's not a huge health impact for me. Mostly I use it as additives in recipes. I made American Goulash last weekend and put in half a pound of bacon with the ground turkey. Nice addition.

Turkey sausage is fine. Very tasty. I use it frequently in soups and such. I'm thinking about making a batch of sausage and cabbage soup this weekend, in fact. If I fix on that, I'll use hot Italian turkey sausage.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 09:42:36 AM »
I actually like poultry based sausage links and pepperoni.

I do miss eating good hotdogs (Koshers Best or Eisenberg), but the chicken, turkey and pork blend Oscar Meyer franks aren't bad.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »
Try the 100% white meat turkey franks from Ball Park.

They are SURPRISINGLY good.

I find most poultry-based hot dogs to be absolutely revolting, but I like the Ball Parks a lot.