Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 1232 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Virginia
« on: January 15, 2022, 05:52:29 PM »
Sure looks like the lefties are having a cow in Virginia.  =D

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/01/15/incoming-virginia-attorney-general-jason-miyares-cleans-house-reportedly-fires-entire-civil-rights-division/

Youngkin’s Day 1 Executive Orders, per his office, include:

- Ban CRT

- parents decide if kids wear masks in school

- declare VA open for business

- end vax mandate for state employees

- investigate Loudoun County

- fire parole board

- leave green house gas initiative
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Virginia
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 07:29:10 PM »
 Looks like he thought "What would Joe Biden do?" . . . and then went ahead and did the exact opposite!

Good for him!   =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 08:23:15 PM »
Awesome!

=D

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 12:34:59 AM »
Why is it good that he fired the whole civil rights division?

If they needed to be fired, so be it, but I'm lacking explanation.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 07:55:41 AM »

Ran across an article on the Gateway Pundit yesterday that said he only fired two people in the CR division.  Thirty people in all were fired, but there were only twelve in the CR division to start with.  Methinks someone is exaggerating to make political points.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 08:06:30 AM »

I need to look for the article, but I thought I read that their civil rights division was, like NYC, creating revolving door policy for criminals. Obviously the AG has the final word on that stuff, but it could be the new AG didn't want to pull a Trump and leave "deep state" people in his dept that would undermine new policies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 08:23:15 AM »
Looks good right out of the gate. He was being described as somewhat of swampy creature by those on the dissident right so these early moves are a pleasant surprise.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 09:00:37 AM »
I have felt a disturbance in the force...

And it feels GOOD!

There have been a number of articles, letters, posts on social media, etc., all screeching the same thing...

HOW COULD TRUMPY FASCIST NAZI RACIST COVID LOVERS WIN???? IT HAS TO BE VOTER SUPPRESSION! OUR DEMOCRACY IS IN DANGER!

I can't wait to hear the wailing after this coming November...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 09:31:06 AM »
I just now watched an interview with the new LT Governor. She sure has her act together. Good choice there. She doesn't look to be a coddler.

"You come out of the womb screaming. That's how life can be."  =)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 09:51:06 AM »
I need to look for the article, but I thought I read that their civil rights division was, like NYC, creating revolving door policy for criminals. Obviously the AG has the final word on that stuff, but it could be the new AG didn't want to pull a Trump and leave "deep state" people in his dept that would undermine new policies.

In my opinion that may have been Trump's biggest failure. He should have terminated every obama holdover he was legally able to fire.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 09:58:57 AM »

In my opinion that may have been Trump's biggest failure. He should have terminated every obama holdover he was legally able to fire.

QFT
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 11:07:45 AM »

But it was illegal for him to fire anyone, or do anything, as I recall. They would have fake-impeached him about a dozen more times.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 11:16:02 AM »
Eh, I tire of being a battleground state. For midterms, State Senate elections and the next presidential election it just means the outside money, influence ops, and fraud will come pouring into the state. Given the sad state of our red team party you can bet we continue to gift you with two really crappy senators. I love my state, won't leave, but the future doesn't look bright.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 04:12:19 PM »
Eh, I tire of being a battleground state. For midterms, State Senate elections and the next presidential election it just means the outside money, influence ops, and fraud will come pouring into the state.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »
Ah, that wonderful little Lincoln Project stunt.

They thought they were going to drive a nail in Youngkin's coffin with it.

What they did was get a LOT of heat from both the right AND the left...

And a lot of people laughing at them that they would try something so pathetically desperate.

The only people reporting that stunt like it was hard hitting news were MSNBC and CNN. Even the Washington Post distanced itself from it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 09:44:48 AM »

The core of that issue was picking Senator Sessions as AG.  He folded under pressure and promised not to take a hand in the investigation of Trump.  That whole farce took at least 2 years or more to set to rest.

However, I think Trump had just as much problem with deep state people on the Republican side undermining him as well.  Or at least steering him away from "drain the swamp" actions. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 09:53:25 AM »
The core of that issue was picking Senator Sessions as AG.  He folded under pressure and promised not to take a hand in the investigation of Trump.  That whole farce took at least 2 years or more to set to rest.

However, I think Trump had just as much problem with deep state people on the Republican side undermining him as well.  Or at least steering him away from "drain the swamp" actions.
Agreed. There were - and probably still are - deep state "GOP" people who wanted Jeb Bush to run against Hillary. Even though that probably would have given us another Clinton in the White House.

Also agree with previous posters that Trump should have fired every holdover from previous administrations that he could. IANAL, but unless it's a union or civil service position, I was under the impression that POTUS could fire anyone in an executive branch position he wanted to for any reason. Or no reason at all.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »
However, I think Trump had just as much problem with deep state people on the Republican side undermining him as well.

Yup. Refer to Mitt Romney being in the news again being "pro election rights, because Trump" as an example. I would mention Liz Cheney, but at this point she's a full blown dem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 10:00:46 AM »
IANAL, but unless it's a union or civil service position, I was under the impression that POTUS could fire anyone in an executive branch position he wanted to for any reason. Or no reason at all.

Most of the fed.gov general counsel are one of the few fed groups that have a union. Also keep in mind a large portion of the kiboshers, whether you call them "deep state" or just malcontents, are in the civil service.

Anybody around GS13 and above will potentially be in positions of responsibility that could monkey wrench stuff to one degree or another. Maybe just mosquito bites, but mosquito bites can add up. Especially Senior Executive Service personnel. I'm unsure if there is anything that would give the President "firing power" regarding SES personnel over GS level civil servants.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 05:22:37 PM »
Most of the fed.gov general counsel are one of the few fed groups that have a union. Also keep in mind a large portion of the kiboshers, whether you call them "deep state" or just malcontents, are in the civil service.

Anybody around GS13 and above will potentially be in positions of responsibility that could monkey wrench stuff to one degree or another. Maybe just mosquito bites, but mosquito bites can add up. Especially Senior Executive Service personnel. I'm unsure if there is anything that would give the President "firing power" regarding SES personnel over GS level civil servants.

Makes you wonder what could be done to just take decisions away from those people, bypass them, and such; without officially firing them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 05:42:03 PM »

Makes you wonder what could be done to just take decisions away from those people, bypass them, and such; without officially firing them.

It certainly can and has been done. I used to see some upper level shuffling whenever new deputy undersecretaries showed up under new administrations. Usually it involved some lateral move or "promotion" with a new fancy title. Someone might go from being a national office Director to "Senior Advisor for Special Projects". Though title aside, it usually meant they had a staff of one (themselves). They would still have a budget so they could hold meetings in Hawaii, but zero policy power.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 04:10:12 AM »

In my opinion that may have been Trump's biggest failure. He should have terminated every Obama holdover he was legally able to fire.

100%.

At first I kind of applauded his magnanimity and figured he was smart to not whack the whole head off a sort-of-halfway-functioning business.  After a while I started to see how that was a mistake on both my part and his.

I bet he (or his designee) won't make the same mistake the next time.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 04:45:59 AM by 230RN »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 09:23:46 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 10:42:20 PM »
100%.

At first I kind of applauded his magnanimity and figured he was smart to not whack the whole head off a sort-of-halfway-functioning business.  After a while I started to see how that was a mistake on both my part and his.

I bet he (or his designee) won't make the same mistake the next time.

Terry, 230RN

I wouldn't bet the farm republic on that assumption. They're called the stupid party for a reason.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 08:51:01 AM »
It certainly can and has been done. I used to see some upper level shuffling whenever new deputy undersecretaries showed up under new administrations. Usually it involved some lateral move or "promotion" with a new fancy title. Someone might go from being a national office Director to "Senior Advisor for Special Projects". Though title aside, it usually meant they had a staff of one (themselves). They would still have a budget so they could hold meetings in Hawaii, but zero policy power.
I've heard it called "Moving people to the turkey farm."  They keep their salary, they get a fancy title, maybe even an office with a window, but they have no assignments, no people reporting to them (other than perhaps more turkeys), no responsibilities, no security clearance, and no authority.

The only real danger is that the next administration might bring them back into the fold.