Author Topic: Turning Our Dead into Fertilizer  (Read 1128 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Turning Our Dead into Fertilizer
« on: January 15, 2022, 06:35:27 PM »
This isn't a real new article, but it looks like the law hasn't gone into effect yet.  I happened upon an Infowars video talking about human remains as fertilizer.  This is one of the links I came across when I searched.  None of the news links saying anything like what Infowars is talking about.  Looks like they are legalizing different ways for a family to dispose of the human remains.  Hopefully it goes no further than that.  I hadn't seen mention of this before.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/turning-our-dead-into-fertilizer/
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown signed House Bill 2574 Tuesday. The bill will legalize what’s known as natural organic reduction, or what some refer to as human composting. It also clarifies rules surrounding alkaline hydrolysis, known as aqua cremation. The law goes into effect July 1, 2022.

Composting of human bodies now legal in Washington state
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/composting-human-bodies-now-legal-washington-state-n1008606
Gov. Jay Inslee signed legislation Tuesday making Washington the first state to approve composting as an alternative to burying or cremating human remains.

It allows licensed facilities to offer "natural organic reduction," which turns a body, mixed with substances such as wood chips and straw, into about two wheelbarrows' worth of soil in a span of several weeks.

Loved ones are allowed to keep the soil to spread, just as they might spread the ashes of someone who has been cremated — or even use it to plant vegetables or a tree.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:49:20 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Turning Our Dead into Fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 06:38:09 PM »
Soylent Soillent Green
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:42:20 PM »
or even use it to plant vegetables or a tree.

Do you want haunted forests? Because that's how you get haunted forests!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 07:05:55 PM »
Wasn't the guy who started Earth Day kind of into that sort of thing?
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 07:37:28 PM »
Actually I don't want embalmed and I want to be buried in an unmarked grave either in a prairie or forest. No coffin/casket or vault. Just be recycled back to nature.

If that can't happen, cremated. Dump my cremains in a prairie or forest.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 08:00:08 PM »
My father wanted to be scattered on one of the drop zones at Bragg.

They insisted that he actually be cremated first.
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 08:05:04 PM »
Actually I don't want embalmed and I want to be buried in an unmarked grave either in a prairie or forest. No coffin/casket or vault. Just be recycled back to nature.

Pretty much right there with you.  I don't want some plot of land to be eaten up with my remains.  I was here, I lived, and then I'm gone.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 08:37:52 PM »
My uncle insisted that he be dumped into the bushes in front of the place where he had picked to do the BBQ...

My bud Doc died unexpectedly, and likely meant to live forever... But I damn near stuck a Knob Creek Firecracker (an unknown, but significant, quantity of compressed flash powder...) into the casket. He would have liked that.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 08:52:47 PM »

Might be possible.  Check your state's laws.

I was told after the fact that one cousin (died in '08) was buried without embalming or coffin, because Illinois did not require it.   Per the website a search pulled up, that's correct.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 08:58:25 PM »
Might be possible.  Check your state's laws.

I was told after the fact that one cousin (died in '08) was buried without embalming or coffin, because Illinois did not require it.   Per the website a search pulled up, that's correct.

I know In my state we have virtually no laws regarding burial. I can literally be chucked into a hole in the backyard if I so desire.

The funeral industry (bunch of *expletive deleted*ing con artists they are) would have you believe different of course.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 09:09:35 PM »
Embalming always struck me as a bit weird
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 11:41:01 PM »
I don't think Jews embalm their dead.  And you should be able to use a properly-sized cardboard box for a coffin; I believe those are commonly used for cremation.  Your loved ones can rent a nice casket for the memorial, there's no need to buy one.  (just don't accidentally bury the rented casket ;)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 11:49:03 PM »
My current preference would be cremation The Mrs. doesn't appear to be too fond of the idea. When the brother in law died in November her sister had to scramble to get a suitable plot.  My wife brought up the need for us to buy a couple of plots, "just in case".
Probably end up at this little country cemetery. A very peaceful place way out in the country, there are five generations of my family buried there.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 02:28:09 AM »
My wish it to be toasted and spread in the Kisatchie National Forrest outside Pollock, LA between Dry Prong and Bentley near Big Creek.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 02:41:39 AM »
I think it's becoming more popular to use a pressure cooker and lye to just dissolve the body and then dump it down the drain. It's the normal way they dispoe of waste tissue at hospitals. It's supposed to be more environmentally friendly than cremation.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 03:16:40 AM »
I think it's becoming more popular to use a pressure cooker and lye to just dissolve the body and then dump it down the drain. It's the normal way they dispoe of waste tissue at hospitals. It's supposed to be more environmentally friendly than cremation.

SCREW THE ENVIRONMENT! ASHES TO ASHES, DUST TO DUST, IT'S MY RIGHT!
(Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie...)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 07:57:49 AM »
My mom was cremated, but it was important for my dad to be buried. Besides a phobia about cremation, he felt going into the ground was the natural way to go. He would have been happy to be buried in a hole on his own land, but that wasn't allowed of course in CA. There were no laws in CA that kept me from skipping the embalming. The mortuary offered a carboard-ish casket as the cheapest option. For various reasons, we sent him on his way in a nicer looking coffin. I don't like the cemetery where he is buried. It looks too rundown urban. His own land or somewhere in a natural area would have been much better, and he would have liked it better.

As for me, I would prefer to be buried as well. No embalming, and put me out in nature. If a natural area is not allowed, then a cemetery that is very rural. Idaho allows home burial, but with no descendants or inheritors that would want to keep my land after I die, I would not feel right putting my body in land that someone else is going to take over.

Or else a Viking funeral.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
I too, would like to be buried in a rural area with no embalming.  A shroud instead of a coffin would be fine.  Turning into dust as quickly as possible would be nice.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 10:26:40 AM »
I just want a Viking funeral.
My old fishing boat, a stack of pallets, and an outgoing tide.
Of course Illinois is a long way from a tide but the Mississippi and Illinois rivers are less than an hour away.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 11:21:17 AM »
After they harvest any usable organs or parts from my body, cremation is fine by me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 11:27:28 AM »
"Give my knees to the needy" -- John Prine
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
I think cremation is probably easiest. The whole buried without being embalmed has to happen pretty quick to be viable, which means it probably needs to be arranged in advance. Years ago I looked into it. In VA, you need special permission to bury a body on private property, but not cremains. 

I would say keep in mind who's going to actually be dealing with your dead self.

Dad made an off statement when he got cancer about being buried with the dogs and apparently never thought about it again. I looked up what needed to be done, should I have to bury him. Figured out cremation was the way to go, given his wishes. He survived cancer so, obviously, the subject lay dormant.

It came up when he was hospitalized and he was surprised that I had it all worked out already. *shrug* It still hasn't actually happened, because I want to do it right, but that's the plan and he's in a trunk with his personal effects until then.

Anyway, point is, make sure the person dealing with your body knows what you want and is prepared to get it done according to your wishes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 01:19:34 PM »
The whole buried without being embalmed has to happen pretty quick to be viable,

Not really. Cold storage gives a lot of time. "Because of covid" the mortuary and cemetery couldn't hold my dad's service until a couple of weeks after he passed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 03:09:40 PM »
I’m guessing the embalming process is to give time for the open casket visitation (which has ALWAYS freaked me the *expletive deleted*ck out) and funeral service to happen. In my small town typically the custom is to hold the visitation either a night or two before the service and burial to give those who can’t make it to the rest of the service  a chance to pay their respects.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 04:14:07 PM »
"I’m guessing the embalming process is to give time for the open casket visitation (which has ALWAYS freaked me the *expletive deleted*ck out) and funeral service to happen. "

Yes. Exactly. I believe it's the law in all 50 states that a body MUST be embalmed if there is to be an open casket visitation.

Closed casket, I don't believe it's required if the burial is within a few days.

Both of my parents were cremated, but Dad was embalmed because of the number of people who were intending on coming to his services (visitation before, followed by services, same day).

Of course, the day of the services we got something like a foot of snow and ice in Central Pennsylvania. Cut what would probably have been 300 to 400 people down to no more than 50 or so, which was just fine with my Mom and me.

Mom wanted no services, just wanted to be cremated.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.