Author Topic: Prague university shooting  (Read 498 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Prague university shooting
« on: December 21, 2023, 12:19:59 PM »
Early reports say at least 15 dead
Shooter was reported to be a student using a rifle picking off people from a roof top
Developing story

BTW: Not in the US

Prague shooting: Gunman was student who murdered his father before randomly shooting people from university rooftop, killing at least 15 people before taking his own life
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12890203/Multiple-people-dead-injured-Prague-shooting.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Prague university shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 12:21:04 PM »
Reportedly the shooter

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 12:24:48 PM »
Shooter reported dead
And of course blame the US

BreakingGunman's body found at university faculty

The gunman's "lifeless body" was found at the university, the police president says.

He also confirms that 15 people were killed and 24 were hurt in the attack, and adds that it's thought the shooter was inspired by similar massacres that have taken place abroad.

The mass shooting is not linked to international terrorism, Vit Rakusan, the Czech minister of the interior, told reporters.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-67795251?src_origin=BBCS_BBC
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 12:58:13 PM »
That's tragic for the community there.

Western society really needs to put some real effort into why the number of disaffected young people that want to check out while taking a bunch of others with them has seemingly skyrocketed in the last decade or so.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 01:04:32 PM »
I suspect it is because they get more publicity for doing so... at least, that is big factor I think.

This ahole has instantly become world famous, and people will be discussing his stupid ideology and supposed grievances everywhere.  Inspiring the next evil loser who wants to be taken seriously by a world which he feels wrongs him.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 02:24:34 PM »
Shooter reported dead
And of course blame the US
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-67795251?src_origin=BBCS_BBC

Hmmm, didn't expect that one to come up

Police Chief Martin Vondrasek said he had gone to Prague to take his life and that he was "inspired by a horrific event, a similar event, abroad".

Although unconfirmed, that event is being interpreted as a 7 December shooting in Bryansk in southern Russia, when a 14-year-old girl took a shotgun into her school and killed a classmate before turning the gun on herself.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-67795251?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=65848c9598b40e4897f58acd%26What%20we%20know%20about%20Prague%20shooter%262023-12-21T19%3A19%3A44.463Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:be90fd08-ffda-4c4b-9a7d-6ffc65f99038&pinned_post_asset_id=65848c9598b40e4897f58acd&pinned_post_type=share
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 05:16:23 PM »
Police Chief Martin Vondrasek said he had gone to Prague to take his life and that he was "inspired by a horrific event, a similar event, abroad".

Although unconfirmed, that event is being interpreted as a 7 December shooting in Bryansk in southern Russia, when a 14-year-old girl took a shotgun into her school and killed a classmate before turning the gun on herself.

I am not buying that with a specific reference, but that is me. This shooter was a student of history and there have been many horrific shootings over the years but shooting from the rooftop on a University causes one to leap to the front of my mind and that would be Charles Whitman at the University of Texas shooting from the tower in 1966. But that is just me because I am old (but not the oldest) and every now and then my synapses fire just right and I can remember things.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 05:27:29 PM »
I am not buying that with a specific reference, but that is me. This shooter was a student of history and there have been many horrific shootings over the years but shooting from the rooftop on a University causes one to leap to the front of my mind and that would be Charles Whitman at the University of Texas shooting from the tower in 1966. But that is just me because I am old (but not the oldest) and every now and then my synapses fire just right and I can remember things.

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub9m4gszcR4
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 06:10:19 PM »
This has to be fake news. Everyone knows mass shooting only happen in the United States.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 06:39:14 PM »
Buffer tube broken off?
I wonder if it was dropped off the building

Prague killer who left 15 dead in university gun rampage is now also suspected of killing a father and newborn baby in chilling 'dry run' in nearby forest a week ago
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12891339/Prague-killer-university-gun-rampage-suspected-killing-father-child-week-ago.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 06:42:22 PM »

bob

Possibly your requested reference
From the above link

'I want to do school shooting and possibly suicide, Alina Afanaskina helped me too much,' he allegedly wrote on December 10 of the Bryansk school shooter, who killed two students before taking her own life.

The chilling post in what the writer called their 'diary' about 'life before the shooting' went on: 'I always wanted to kill, I thought I would become a maniac in the future.'
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 06:52:26 PM »
Possibly your requested reference
From the above link

That is just strange how a person who can take a person shooting one other person and then taking their own life can be morphed into shooting from a rooftop and killing many more, but then again mental illness has no basis in reality many times.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 09:20:50 AM »
Killed himself with a shotgun
And as I speculation above the what appears to be an AR with it's buffer tube broken off was thrown off the building.
Oh and new term "Elite long-range rifle".

The brave elite cops barged through a door to the balcony and footage shows Kozak's body lying on the floor. Police said Kozak, knowing he was surrounded by cops, had killed himself with his shotgun after throwing his elite long-range rifle off the balcony.

They IDed the model of rifle as a ZEV-30 and from the above photo it appears to be the billet version
Basically an AR-15

Kozak, who was a Master's student of history at the university, is seen standing on the balcony and aiming his powerful ZEV-30 rifle at people below, picking his victims off one by one.

To be fair to the report above the manufacturer does use the term "elite" and they're a bit pricey.
Can't tell if it's the 223 or the 308. I can't find a ZEV-30. Maybe they mean 30 as in 30 cal? Although the company does put 30 in some of their 223 rifle names referring to 30 rds. I'm thinking more likely 223 but I haven't seen any other photo of the rifle and the mag well is mostly hidden in the above. Note there are visible shell casings but the pic is too fuzzy to be sure.

223 version
ZEV AR15 BILLET CORE ELITE RIFLE, .223 Wylde, 16 INCH BARREL
https://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-AR15-Billet-Rifle-.223-Wylde-16-Inch-Barrel-Black-OLDMAG

308 version
ZEV LARGE FRAME BILLET CORE ELITE RIFLE, .308, 16 INCH BARREL
https://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-Large-Frame-Billet-Rifle-308-Win-16-Bronze-Barrel_5

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:41:17 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 09:49:02 AM »
More scary terms

"long gun assault weapon"
"long-range barreled weapon"

https://www.timesnownews.com/world/prague-shooting-suspect-david-kozak-took-shots-with-this-automatic-weapon-from-charles-university-building-article-106194739

Photo show what appears to be a 16" barrel and looking at ZEV's website they only make 16" and shorter so I guess 16" is a long-range barrel now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 10:28:07 AM »
^^ I think that's probably accurate, especially outside the US.

The M4 is kinda the "defacto" AR15 most of the world sees due to US and some NATO .mils.  If we didn't have the NFA I'd bet money 14.5 would be one of the most popular barrel lengths in the US.

16" and 18" AR's are SPR length.  (obviously there's a LOT of variations of barrels in those lengths in the US, but that's somewhat NFA related)  At least it is in .mil's these days.  THe Marines still have some M16A4's, but they are small and weird. To someone not steeped in US AR culture, a 16" or longer barrel is the DMR version of an AR.

AK variants seem to have stayed with 16ish" barrels for the -74 and -74M, but there's a ton of -74Us running around out there too.

A Krink or M4 is perfectly capable out to 250-300m, so I can buy calling a 16" or longer barrel a "long range" variant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 10:47:53 AM »
You're giving them way too much credit both in actually having real world gun knowledge and using that knowledge in their reporting, I think it's more of a case of making up scary terms to scare the masses.

That said I'm old school when it comes to ARs where 20" is the rifle and anything under is a carbine.
Wonder what they would make of my 24" AR?

Edit: BTW, did you noticed they also referred to it as an automatic in that link?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 01:44:30 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 03:08:12 PM »
The M1 and M4 carbines are still called such in military nomenclature.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!