Author Topic: Tailgates Are Getting Complex  (Read 726 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tailgates Are Getting Complex
« on: January 18, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »
Ford is coming out with a fancy new tailgate, I guess because they were behind the other guys in fancy new tailgates.

I remember a couple of trucks ago when I was looking, I think Ford was the first to come out with a modification - the foldout step and lever handle to support yourself getting up and down. Seemed kinda "meh" to me, and I saw it on very few of that year's trucks.

I can see where this new stuff could be handy and convenient from the "loading and unloading the bed" side. I'm not crazy about the added expense it will all be, so I'm kinda hoping it stays a "luxury" add-on vs becoming standard.

Really, whatever they do, as long as the tailgate can still fully open down, I guess I'm okay with it. With long beds being non-standard these days, you kinda need the open tailgate for plywood and stuff.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-patents-new-pickup-tailgate-hidden-door
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Tailgates Are Getting Complex
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 08:52:22 AM »
The first one to come out with a built-in BBQ grill is going to make a killing . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 08:53:12 AM »
The first one to come out with a built-in BBQ grill is going to make a killing . . . .

:rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 08:54:34 AM »
That I could see being VERY useful.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 08:56:53 AM »
I have the pull out step in the tailgate of my '14 FX4.  I was very meh on the idea when I got it, but my wife loves it.  A lot of camping gear is up inthe bed on top of my drawer system and she really appreciates the extra step up to get into the bed.  Even more once I lifted the truck a little.

Like K-Frame I could see this being pretty handy, as long as it's not flimsy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 09:02:08 AM »
With the short pickup beds, that makes a bit of sense.  With the tailgate not in the way, you can almost reach the entire bed. 

I am also guessing that Ford will make the whole thing very very easy to remove so that theft will be a big problem. 

A co-worker nearly had his big Ford truck stolen at a Buc-ee's gas station in Wharton.  He left it at the pump and went inside.  Apparently there were some people off to the side looking for opportunities.  Another guy getting gas noticed what was happening and yelled at them so they left.  In less than a minute or more, they had jammed a screw driver in the door lock and plugged something into the computer that wiped the settings so they could start it without the key fob.  He wasn't entirely sure what they did, but they knew what they were about.  He was lucky. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »
I am also guessing that Ford will make the whole thing very very easy to remove so that theft will be a big problem. 

I was kinda thinking that they would make it more difficult and complicated to remove the tailgates to prevent theft. I've always (while hating thieves) thought that tailgate theft was an interesting phenomenon. I've never really seen it as a problem anywhere I have lived, but I understand that it is a really big criminal business.

On the step, and really a lot of the "easy access" stuff, I'm sure my height makes me biased regarding their utility. If I were shorter, I'm sure I'd be more excited about it.  =)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 09:28:23 AM »
By a long shot, the most useful tailgate I've ever owned is a 70's vintage tommy gate.  $25 from the scrapyard, cut down and welded 4-1/8" narrower to fit on my F250.  Cleaned it up, serviced the hydraulics, repainted and installed it.

I don't think I'll own another pickup without one.  I wonder if a manufacturer will ever build that feature in from the factory?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 09:29:26 AM »
I was kinda thinking that they would make it more difficult and complicated to remove the tailgates to prevent theft. I've always (while hating thieves) thought that tailgate theft was an interesting phenomenon. I've never really seen it as a problem anywhere I have lived, but I understand that it is a really big criminal business.

On the step, and really a lot of the "easy access" stuff, I'm sure my height makes me biased regarding their utility. If I were shorter, I'm sure I'd be more excited about it.  =)
It seems to me they haven't made their trucks less easy to steal so I don't know why they would worry about the tailgate.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 01:36:12 PM »
I'm on gravel roads, mud roads, off road and in the snow. Salt on the winter roads. The more moving parts, the more opportunity for failure. I guess if you never get mud on the tires and your Sunday pickup lives in a garage, the Swiss army tailgate will be just fine.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 01:47:16 PM »
Ford tailgates and the tail lights with the blind spot radar in them are high theft items. Even with tailgate closed and locked it can be opened in a matter of seconds if you know how to do it, hand drill and bit for the tail lights and a thief can have several thousand dollars worth of stuff to put on ebay within 60 seconds, if even that long.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »
"Swiss Army Tailgate."  Love it.  :rofl:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »
Is it just me, or do most of the truck commercials look like commercials for a tailgate these days?

And this bizarre piece of work:
https://youtu.be/iNBxRCPALKQ
What were they thinking?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »

Would you settle for an electric cooktop and sink?

https://www.tuvie.com/wp-content/uploads/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-with-camp-kitchen1.jpg
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 07:00:03 PM »
We had a farrier who had a 6" bench vise bolted to his tailgate.  But that was in days of yore, before Swiss Army Tailgates.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 07:23:46 AM »
We had tailgates for our rangers stolen at work.

If it can break, and is expensive, it will break.
Blog under construction