Author Topic: Anyone have the Ruger Security 9?  (Read 1580 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anyone have the Ruger Security 9?
« on: January 20, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
I gave thoughts to getting one a couple of years ago, but ended up getting a Walter CCP.

Well, I've circled around and am again thinking about getting a Security 9. Looking at the full size, not the compact.

If you have one, what are your thoughts?

It will be primarily a range and home defense gun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Anyone have the Ruger Security 9?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 09:56:34 AM »
What do they go for these days?  Is it still in the $300 range?
As a home defense gun, I think it would fit the bill if that is what you want.

Obligatory "but what about these other guns" comments:   =)
There are other options that are arguably better depending on what you want.  I just remember a lot of youtube reviewers saying the gun worked and trying not bash it for a crappy trigger and such since it was a very inexpensive gun. 

The PSA Dagger is down in that range if you can catch it in stock.  Canik, Arex, and CZ have models in the low $400's.  S&W M&P pistols can be inexpensive sometimes and they have lower priced models (SVD?).  I hear good things about the Taurus G3 if you are willing to go there.  I saw an email this week that AIM Surplus has police trade in Glock pistols for $399. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
What do they go for these days?  Is it still in the $300 range?

If it's anything to go by Bud's has them for $349

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/54111/ruger+3810+security+9+9mm+15%2b1+black+polymer
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:51:38 AM »
I have several, including a Compact. They fit my hands really well. Picked them up at Academy the couple of times they went on sale for $329.

I actually like the Compact more, mostly for the flexibility it gives with an extended mag thrown into the mix. Want it small enough to slip into a jacket pocket? Standard mag. Want a more comfortable grip? Slip in the extended mag (full-size mage with an adapter collar). Wouldn't turn down either, though.

Every test I've seen indicates they are stereotypical Ruger-tough in every respect. They are almost universally lauded as a screaming bargain if all you need is a no-frills boom twig which won't make you cry if it gets scuffed a bit. Even the people who usually turn up their noses at more utilitarian handguns seem duly impressed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:55:30 AM »
Bud's and Classic both have them for about $350.

Not really interesting in anything much more expensive. That way I don't feel too bad if I have to give it up after an incident.

Not really interested in any other the other brands out there; they're largely unknown entities. The CZs are decent, but I've heard of people having problems getting the company to service issues that crop up.

Rugers are known, they're inexpensive, and they have a reputation for reliability and good customer service in case of an issue.

The S&W is another option, but much less of one. I'm still holding out hope that they'll offer the M&P 2.0 in .38 Super.

Taurus? No thanks. Too many reports of issues.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:58:09 AM »
"They are almost universally lauded as a screaming bargain if all you need is a no-frills boom twig which won't make you cry if it gets scuffed a bit."

That's what I've heard, but not from anyone I know who actually has one.

I also like the fact that they have a thumb safety. Sorry, but that pretty much remains a must have for me. It's why I rejected about 99% of other handguns when I was looking for a new CCW piece, and it's one of the reasons I went with the Walther CCP (aside from the fact that the CCP fits my hand better than any gun I've ever owned).

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
^^^I personally do not own one, but have shot one.  The person from whom I was borrowing it from at the range liked the Ruger American 9mm compact much better.  He felt the American shot better, was better constructed and had ambi controls.  However, I think there is a $ 200 price difference between the two models.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:01:24 AM »
However, I think there is a $ 200 price difference between the two models.

There is. The American shot fantastically well for me but that $200 difference was hard to ignore.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 11:08:43 AM »
Bud's and Classic both have them for about $350.

Not really interesting in anything much more expensive. That way I don't feel too bad if I have to give it up after an incident.

Not really interested in any other the other brands out there; they're largely unknown entities. The CZs are decent, but I've heard of people having problems getting the company to service issues that crop up.

Rugers are known, they're inexpensive, and they have a reputation for reliability and good customer service in case of an issue.

The S&W is another option, but much less of one. I'm still holding out hope that they'll offer the M&P 2.0 in .38 Super.

Taurus? No thanks. Too many reports of issues.
I can certainly understand that.  I have my brands that I like.  The Arex Delta pistols shoot really well for me.

Never heard anything bad about Rugers other than the usual comments about inexpensive pistols. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »
At Bud's the price difference between the Security and American is about $130 for the full size -- $468.95 for the American and $349.35 for the full size Security 9, both with standard capacity magazines.

Not sure, but I don't think the Deltas come with a thumb safety.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »
There's also the EC9s. I have two of them. Academy has them on for $270. Feels really nice in hand with the extended mag. Has the manual safety you're looking for, too. Downside is the single-stack mag capacity. 7 rds for the standard mag, 9 for the extended.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 10:49:13 AM »
The EC's a compact, though, and I'm really looking for something more along the lines of a full-size.

I've got the Walther CCP, which is pretty similar in size to the EC.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 04:59:56 PM »
What's the difference between the American and the Security? (aside from price?)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 05:40:13 PM »
Other than ambidextrous controls on the American, and two more rounds in the magazine of the full size, I'm not at all sure.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 07:09:25 PM »
What's the difference between the American and the Security? (aside from price?)

The guy I talked to, after I shot his Security 9, said the American is built as a duty pistol, and it has a stainless steel chassis fire control unit, ambi controls, and has a more durable build.  He said the Security 9 is a great pistol and built to a price point. I am repeating this and I myself have never held a Ruger American. I don't think I have ever seen one in a LGS.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 10:39:42 PM »
"Security" pistols are generally going to stay in the holster except when qualifying. But it is nice if they reliably go bang.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 09:17:50 AM »
I'm hearing through the grapevine that, given the year I've had, I should be up for a fairly substantial raise.

So, if that's the case (I should find out how much my raise will be in a few weeks), I think I'm going to treat myself to a Security 9.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »
Nice!

Brad
-HankB

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 08:18:20 PM »
 I love ruger products, but my plan is to own a bunch of glocks for "in case" purposes .
 after I get my glocks ( 45acp/40/9 ... 3 each ) I hope to own a few security nines for trading and training new folks purposes )
I also plan on getting gp 100 and sp101 for hiking/camping use .... also the sp101 excellent B.U.G
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »
I’m not a big fan of Rugers semiauto offerings.  Never really have been.  Revolvers and rifles, yes but not their autoloaders.

That being said, I have 2 Taurus PT111 G2’s that fit the bill for fire and forget pistols around the house.  Got them on sale for $200 and they work.  Canik has grabbed my attention of late but I haven’t pulled the trigger on one (no pun intended) yet.

I’ve been doing what gunsmith said, buying a bunch of Glocks.  By using the LEO/Military blue label pricing lock offers, I’ve been buying 2 a year under that program.  The cost savings is just too hard to pass up for a quality pistol.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 09:27:07 AM »
Other than my Taurus PT-22, I've never really found a Taurus handgun that I either like, or more importantly, trust.

I really can't stand Glocks and how they fit in my hand.

Ruger semi-autos tend to be clunky, but they're reliable, inexpensive, Ruger stands behind them if something goes wrong, and most importantly for me, they have a thumb safety.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »

I really can't stand Glocks and how they fit in my hand.

Glock Gen 1: Doesn't fit my hand
Gen 2: Doesn't fit my hand
Gen 3: Doesn't fit my hand
Gen 4: Perfect, have 4
Gen 5: Darn it, back to not fitting my hand.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 01:12:22 PM »
If thine hand offends Gaston, cut it off...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »
OK.

Found out my raise numbers.

I think this weekend I'm going to hit the one local gun store that may carry the Security 9 in stock. If they don't, I'll order one for delivery.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2022, 10:39:58 AM »
Looking at the standard or the compact?

I have both, and would recommend the compact for the versatility. Get an extended mag (really just a standard mag with a spacer) for grip options. A little spendy, but it's a one-time purchase. Also seems to have a little better balance.

https://shopruger.com/Security-9-Compact-15-Round-Magazine-with-Adapter/productinfo/90681/

Both configs make for fine little boomtwigs. Like I said, I have both and wouldn't turn my nose up at either.

Brad
-HankB