Author Topic: The anthem, and other songs...  (Read 329 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The anthem, and other songs...
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:24:21 PM »
I had a minor epiphany while listening to the national anthem, as sung by the late Meatloaf. I realized why I find most solo performances of the SSB, Christmas songs, and other traditional music so disappointing. It's (partly) the same reason I'm opposed to "special music" in church services.

These songs shouldn't be performed solo, or by a quartet or choir, to be heard by an audience. They are songs for us all to sing together. So while I don't object to Meatloaf's rendition in particular, he didn't sound like a song leader. The anthem should be sung as a unified group. It's not to be sung by one person, or group of people, for others to listen to.

Does that make sense to anyone else?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: The anthem, and other songs...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:37:41 PM »
Where's the damn like button? Let's all sing now!
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 10:40:42 PM »
I had a minor epiphany while listening to the national anthem, as sung by the late Meatloaf. I realized why I find most solo performances of the SSB, Christmas songs, and other traditional music so disappointing. It's (partly) the same reason I'm opposed to "special music" in church services.

These songs shouldn't be performed solo, or by a quartet or choir, to be heard by an audience. They are songs for us all to sing together. So while I don't object to Meatloaf's rendition in particular, he didn't sound like a song leader. The anthem should be sung as a unified group. It's not to be sung by one person, or group of people, for others to listen to.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

It does make sense, but I don't really agree.  But I always do sing along to the Anthem.  (and it's a lot easier to do that when the performer doesn't add a lot of embellishments)

How about instrumental renderings?  (a military band, for instance)  Are those okay?   :angel:
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 10:59:44 PM »
The worst renditions I've ever heard?

Multiple at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.

But we still sang. Sort of. Because she was probably someone's cousin or something. And there were fireworks. And cannons.
Blog under construction