Author Topic: Justice Stephen Breyer to retire  (Read 10152 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Justice Stephen Breyer to retire
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2022, 12:07:58 AM »
Just think about it for a minute. If Biden's vote totals are believable (as you are implying), then turnout must have been exceptionally high in that election. If that was the case, Trump's numbers are more believable, not less.

Regardless of the turnout for Biden, there's every reason to expect that turnout for Trump would be much higher than the ~60 million he got in 2016. Obviously, for all the turmoil of his first term, the dire warnings of stock market collapse, world war, mass deportations, and racial oppression never came true. Republicans and independents that were too nervous to vote Trump in 2016 had no reason to be nervous anymore. In fact, they had a lot of reasons to be enthusiastic about voting for Trump in 2020. He even had a higher percentage of black men voting for him.

Lastly, if you think Republican ballot-stuffers could get away with anything close to what Democrats do, you really, really haven't been paying attention to how our news media and justice system have been working - especially the past 2 years.

Trump saw a 9% gain in popular votes in his second election over his first.  This is the same bump Reagan saw in his second election.  So those numbers actually comport with history as we know it. 

Not campaigning and then pulling 12 million more votes than the most popular candidate ever (Obama '08) while carrying 200 fewer counties does not comport with history or mathematical probability.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2022, 07:54:35 AM »
"Not campaigning and then pulling 12 million more votes than the most popular candidate ever (Obama '08) while carrying 200 fewer counties does not comport with history or mathematical probability."

There's a HUGE error in your assessment.

You're assuming that all counties have the same number of voters and that carrying 200 fewer counties would result in a linear loss in votes for a candidate

Nope.

Given general population/political dynamics as they shook out the last couple of elections, I think it's VERY likely that most of those counties that Biden "lost" were relatively low population low registered voter counties in already predominantly red and purple areas of the country.

You're also assuming that the loss of a county means that all registered voters in that county voted the same way.

Also nope.

A county with 1000 registered voters -- 501 who voted for Trump and 499 who voted for Biden -- would still be a "loss" for Biden but with almost negligible effect.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2022, 08:07:17 AM »
As I said, I don't have strong feelings on the integrity of the election overall, because there's a lot of smoke, but no visible flames.  No real evidence.   I'm fully aware that the election system has proven to be designed in such a way that there can be no real proof found, and that is it's own issue.  I agree that the red  flags abound on Biden's side, and had a real audit been possible, it may have been very illuminating.  But it wasn't possible, so it didn't happen.

I was only commenting on the folks that claim that the sheer number 81 million defies belief, and only then with a question.

Just think about it for a minute. If Biden's vote totals are believable (as you are implying), then turnout must have been exceptionally high in that election. If that was the case, Trump's numbers are more believable, not less.

Right.  We agree.  Other than the fact that I wasn't implying anything about Biden's numbers.  I was implying that the election turnout numbers were linked in believability.  Both candidates had unusually high numbers.

I will add that I think you underestimate how polarizing Trump was among the "Republicans and independents that were too nervous to vote Trump in 2016" crowd.  He, and his media enemies, managed to instill just a ton of unfounded hate in a lot of independents that I met around the country.  They were voting for Biden despite the good course the economy was on, and the lack of world ending moves by Trump, just because they hated him.  I think that's where a lot of the Biden buyers remorse is coming from now.  I have no real evidence of that, it's just my feeling from talking to people around the country.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »
"I will add that I think you underestimate how polarizing Trump was among the "Republicans and independents that were too nervous to vote Trump in 2016" crowd.  He, and his media enemies, managed to instill just a ton of unfounded hate in a lot of independents that I met around the country.  They were voting for Biden despite the good course the economy was on, and the lack of world ending moves by Trump, just because they hated him.  I think that's where a lot of the Biden buyers remorse is coming from now.  I have no real evidence of that, it's just my feeling from talking to people around the country."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think much the same mechanism was at play in 2016 when Trump won. Only the roles were reversed -- in 2016 people came out and voted for Trump because they couldn't stand the thought of Hillary being president.

In 2020 people came out and voted for Biden because they couldn't stand the thought of Trump being president.

In both scenarios people who supported the eventual winner came to regret their decision.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2022, 08:40:47 AM »
In this case it's just obvious that a record number of voters didn't vote for Joe Biden.

Correct, they voted against Trump.  ;)
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2022, 09:34:34 AM »
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/01/did_over_100000_people_older_than_124_years_vote_in_wisconsin.html

Head in the sand folks have their heads in the sand. The elections are fake.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2022, 02:43:27 PM »
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/01/did_over_100000_people_older_than_124_years_vote_in_wisconsin.html

Head in the sand folks have their heads in the sand. The elections are fake.
Just another reason the voter rolls should be purged every so often and 3rd party registration should be illegal.  If you can't show ID or prove who you are, you don't get to vote. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2022, 03:04:02 PM »
Just another reason the voter rolls should be purged every so often and 3rd party registration should be illegal.  If you can't show ID or prove who you are, you don't get to vote.

Agreed, but I think banning 3rd party registration is a fantasy at this point.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2022, 03:07:43 PM »
If you can't show ID or prove who you are, you don't get to vote.

The whole ID debacle is especially infuriating now that "covid IDs" are supposed to be no big deal to get and show.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2022, 05:21:06 PM »
I will add that I think you underestimate how polarizing Trump was among the "Republicans and independents that were too nervous to vote Trump in 2016" crowd.  He, and his media enemies, managed to instill just a ton of unfounded hate in a lot of independents that I met around the country.  They were voting for Biden despite the good course the economy was on, and the lack of world ending moves by Trump, just because they hated him.  I think that's where a lot of the Biden buyers remorse is coming from now.  I have no real evidence of that, it's just my feeling from talking to people around the country.

When I was talking about people too nervous to vote for Trump in 2016, and then voting for him in 2020, I was only suggesting it would explain a much higher number of votes for Trump in 2020, regardless of those who voted for Biden. The people I have in mind are those who seriously considered voting for him in 2016, but were scared off by the anti-Trump hysteria. After all, we didn't know what kind of president he'd be then.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2022, 11:09:15 PM »
When I was talking about people too nervous to vote for Trump in 2016, and then voting for him in 2020, I was only suggesting it would explain a much higher number of votes for Trump in 2020, regardless of those who voted for Biden. The people I have in mind are those who seriously considered voting for him in 2016, but were scared off by the anti-Trump hysteria. After all, we didn't know what kind of president he'd be then.

Myself and most of my close circle of friends were in the category of non-Trump voters in ‘16 (write-in, 3rd party, or abstention) but came around and pulled the lever for him in ’20.  I don’t personally know anybody that voted Trump in ‘16 and switched to Biden in ‘20.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2022, 11:41:11 PM »
The only one I am interested in is that it feels like in places like Pennsylvania Biden ran up the score in counties he lost. Hey Trump won, nothing to see here. But Biden lost by way less than he should have. Leaving the Biden win localities to bring it home. Well that and the lowest ever reject rate of absentee ballots in a year when many did it for the first time...

https://www.spotlightpa.org/news/2022/01/pennsylvania-mail-voting-unconstitutional-supreme-court-appeal/

It ain't over yet
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2022, 07:37:07 AM »
Myself and most of my close circle of friends were in the category of non-Trump voters in ‘16 (write-in, 3rd party, or abstention) but came around and pulled the lever for him in ’20.  I don’t personally know anybody that voted Trump in ‘16 and switched to Biden in ‘20.

I didn’t vote in 16 because I believed Trump was going to be a complete joke of a president.

I didn’t expect him to actually be good for the economy and for keeping us out of more foreign bullshit.

I enthusiastically voted for him in 2020. I personally think his support was much higher in 2020 because I saw a lot more flags and bumper stickers and a lot more people like me who had lots of doubt in 16 but were happy to vote in 2020 for him.

I met very few Biden supporters and most of them were *expletive deleted*ing transplants from the big cities up North.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2022, 07:16:41 PM »
The MSM is exhausting.

"How many black women do you have on staff, and how are they informing your decision on the appointee?"

Like what? The black woman secretary? Or the black woman operations manager? Or what? We're using random black women to choose the next SCJ? Idiots.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/01/mitch-mcconnell-asked-how-many-black-women-he-has-on-staff-to-help-inform-him-on-bidens-scotus-nominee/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2022, 10:06:52 PM »
The MSM is exhausting.

"How many black women do you have on staff, and how are they informing your decision on the appointee?"

Like what? The black woman secretary? Or the black woman operations manager? Or what? We're using random black women to choose the next SCJ? Idiots.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/01/mitch-mcconnell-asked-how-many-black-women-he-has-on-staff-to-help-inform-him-on-bidens-scotus-nominee/

I have been laboring under the mistaken belief it was the Senators themselves that were elected by the people, and charged with carrying out the people's business. Had no idea we were actually supposed to be electing the Senators' Aryan race staff members.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2022, 03:46:10 PM »
Now Roberts, maybe

Breaking News: 2nd Supreme Court Justice Considering Retirement?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVoQN1eRw10
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2022, 03:51:37 PM »
Roberts is not that old. If this is true, it certainly has my spidey senses tingling regarding the old deep state and a pre-Trump status quo.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2022, 09:03:45 AM »
Biden's pick is Ketanji Brown-Jackson.

She is probably the least controversial of anyone on the list and appears to have the legal chops (my disagreements to many of her positions not withstanding). It will be interesting to see how this goes. IMO, she will be harder to Kavanaugh, were the Rs to go in that direction, than many of the other potential appointees.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2022, 09:05:12 AM »
I presume calls of racism if she doesn’t get 100% of the votes.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2022, 05:06:41 PM »
Didn't take them long to pounce on what they "know" the R's will do.

Looking forward to how Rs will intentionally mispronounce Brown Jackson’s first name

— Jennifer 'I stand with Ukraine' Rubin 🇺🇦🇺🇦 (@JRubinBlogger) February 25, 2022

WaPo writer predicted ‘Rs’ would mispronounce Biden SCOTUS nominee’s name (because racism), then it got awkward
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/02/25/wapo-writer-predicted-rs-would-mispronounce-biden-scotus-nominees-name-because-racism-then-it-got-awkward/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2022, 08:46:10 PM »
Didn't take them long to pounce on what they "know" the R's will do.

WaPo writer predicted ‘Rs’ would mispronounce Biden SCOTUS nominee’s name (because racism), then it got awkward
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/02/25/wapo-writer-predicted-rs-would-mispronounce-biden-scotus-nominees-name-because-racism-then-it-got-awkward/

:laugh: I almost posted a prediction about that, since they already pulled that stunt with Kam - AL -uh.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »
Hell,  I can't pronounce her name and I consider myself pretty well read and literate.  I don't know why blacks think they can name their kids unpronounceable bullshit and then get offended when the rest of us are confused as to how to pronounce said name.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2022, 12:59:01 AM »
Hell,  I can't pronounce her name and I consider myself pretty well read and literate.  I don't know why blacks think they can name their kids unpronounceable bullshit and then get offended when the rest of us are confused as to how to pronounce said name.

Or whites, for that matter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2022, 08:40:57 AM »
Name  Ketanji  generally means  Home or Pure Gold, it is unisex and Hindu origin.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536