Author Topic: Best Frozen Pizza  (Read 4319 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Best Frozen Pizza
« on: January 31, 2022, 07:50:18 PM »
I can't always get out to Pizza-A-Go-Go or Blackthorn, so I like to have the occasional Really Bad For Me thing in the freezer. We're about to get 6-12" of snow, depending which prognosticator you choose to believe, so I go to the store and buy milk and eggs pizza and beer.

What is your go-to?

https://pizzaagogostl.wixsite.com/pizzaagogostl/history

https://www.blackthornstl.com/home/
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Best Frozen Pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 08:03:28 PM »
Since I'm allergic to beef, a lot of pizza is off the table.

I usually have a few Tombstone sausage or Canadian Bacon pizza in the freezer.

I do love Tailgator ready to bake pizza from Kwik Star/Kwik Trip.

Pagalia's frozen pizza is good, but you have to go to the restaurant to get it. Just a few midwestern states.

Pasquale's is good, but you're probably going to only find it in Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 07:05:12 AM »
One of the ones I really like is a store brand chicken and mushroom pizza from Safeway.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 08:18:09 AM »
Digiorno's croissant crust. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 08:19:16 AM »
Not really frozen, and more of as question: Do any of you get the Papa Murphy's take and bake pizzas? Are they any good? They look good on the website.

The cool little pizza place 15min from me shut down last year because of the covids. The next closest pizza place is 40 minutes away, so getting a hot pie home is a bit difficult. There's a Papa Murphys about the same distance from me, and take and bake would be my best option to "right out of the oven" pizza. My old Costco in CA had good take and bakes, but the one here doesn't make them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 09:57:02 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of pizza, but I do like it occasionally.

A few years ago I experimented with the Greek Yogurt pizza dough that uses baking powder instead of yeast.

https://www.simplyscratch.com/greek-yogurt-pizza-dough

It had a lot of potential, but I kept having issues getting it just right.

I may give it a try again because the flavor was really good and you don't need to let it proof and rise for hours on end.

It really is best if you have a stand mixer, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 10:00:13 AM »
My folks used to bake amazing pizza all the time. I could always bake my own, but I have some psychological block that tells me pizza is supposed to be a takeout thing for when you don't want to cook.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 10:31:05 AM »
Do any of you get the Papa Murphy's take and bake pizzas?

My wife loves them, I think they are ok. The chicken artichoke one is probably the one I like best.

It's really not hard to make yeast raised pizza dough and the Pillsbury pizza dough in the biscuit tube isn't bad if you don't feel like making dough. I really don't like any of the precooked pizza crusts at the store, except for the cauliflower ones.

Getting a pizza stone for the oven really makes any frozen or homemade pizza a lot better. I heat my stone while I pre heat the oven.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 10:54:31 AM »
We like Papa Murphy's, especially on Tuesdays when you can get a large for $ 12.  We like the Cowboy, All Meat, Chicken Garlic, Chicken Bacon Ranch, and the Chicken Bacon Artichoke.

Edited to add: our local Costco used to have take and bake for cheese, pepperoni, and supreme.  They were very good.  They stopped providing this a couple of years ago, to my regret.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 11:30:55 AM »
We used to buy Papa Murphy's quite often.  They are good.  Haven't had one in a few years and not sure exactly why.  When I'd get their pepperoni pizza, I would take about half the pepperoni off and save it for sandwiches because they put so much on.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 11:37:36 AM »
Edited to add: our local Costco used to have take and bake for cheese, pepperoni, and supreme.  They were very good.  They stopped providing this a couple of years ago, to my regret.

Well, good to know (I guess?) that it's not just Idaho Costcos. I'm surprised, because they seemed to be a very popular item at the CA Costcos I frequented.

I do sometimes get the four pack of Kirkland frozen cheese pizzas from the freezer section. I keep them in my chest freezer, and when I have a hankering, grab one and then add my own toppings to it, toss it in the oven, and 15min later eat a fairly decent pizza.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 11:55:01 AM »
For a pizza out of the grocery store frozen aisle I usually will grab a Screamin' Sicilian or Home Run Inn.

Lou Malnatis is a Chicago chain and they have frozen take and bake deep dish I'll buy on occasion.

I've just about dialed in my homemade pizza dough, sauce and ingredients so I can reproduce what I like consistently.

Some days a frozen pizza is good enough  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 12:06:36 PM »
Damn it, now I'm thinking about pizza again. I guess I'm going to try making the yogurt dough this weekend, see if I can work out some of the kinks.

Maybe make a sausage and pineapple pizza Saturday. It's looking crappy weather wise, so why not.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 12:18:31 PM »
Damn it, now I'm thinking about pizza again. I guess I'm going to try making the yogurt dough this weekend, see if I can work out some of the kinks.

Maybe make a sausage and pineapple pizza Saturday. It's looking crappy weather wise, so why not.

I'm thinking a cheese curd, beer brat, and carmelized onion with a mustard sauce pizza this weekend.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 12:47:30 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that you can't find smoked provolone anymore?  (or at least I can't)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 01:02:57 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 01:28:37 PM »
HyVee 

https://www.hy-vee.com/aisles-online/p/3313268/HyVee-Deli-Style-Smoked-Provolone-Cheese-Slices-10Ct

Thank-you.  I guess it's just me; all I can ever find is non-smoked, but I may not have looked at HyVee.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 02:31:46 PM »
I normally make my own pizza. The wife makes a bunch of sauce and has it in the freezer. I do like to get a Best Choice cheese pizza when they are on sale so we can just add any topping we want.

If we make it to the KC area and don't get Go Chicken Go we get Pizza Shoppe pizza. My wife and I both grew up on the original place in Shawnee.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2022, 12:43:14 AM »
I tried a Home Run Inn pizza, and it has a thumbs up... I got a sausage pie, and added pepperoni, and just a little bit of coarse shred "farm style" mozz to hold it down. Probably the best I've had in some time.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 07:21:41 AM »
What do you guys like for pizza sauce?

I generally get a bottle of marinara spaghetti sauce and doctor the hell out of it, but I'm willing to try prebottled pizza sauce.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2022, 08:38:35 AM »

I generally get a bottle of marinara spaghetti sauce and doctor the hell out of it, but I'm willing to try prebottled pizza sauce.

I really like Chef Boyardee pizza sauce from the can.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2022, 08:51:10 AM »

Here is a recipe I found and use exclusively

1 can (28oz) Tomato Puree
1/8 tsp ground Chile De Arbol (or Cayenne
pepper)
1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
(do NOT use garlic salt)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp fine sea salt or table salt
1 Tbsp grated Pecorino or Romano cheese.
1 to 2 tsp granulated sugar (optional)

Muir Glen Pizza sauce is my favorite store bought
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2022, 09:23:14 AM »
Seems simple enough, and quite similar to what I do with marinara sauce.

I'll give that a try.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2022, 01:32:10 PM »
Stainless pan.

Slice/grate garlic (to taste) into olive oil, saute. Add coarse pepper, oregano, those pepper flakes, and anything else that strikes your fancy... When the time seems right, add canned prego or ragu something.
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 06:35:19 PM »
Not really frozen, and more of as question: Do any of you get the Papa Murphy's take and bake pizzas? Are they any good? They look good on the website.

<snip>

When we still lived in Oregon, wifey and I would buy Papa Murphy's pizza pretty often.  My wife is partial to their regular pepperoni pizza.  I really liked their Chicago style pizza.  Their stores in Albany and Lebanon made good pizzas.
Unfortunately, their only store here in Hickory, NC closed some years back.  It was part of a regional group of franchise stores that the owner apparently ran into the ground.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.