Author Topic: Best Frozen Pizza  (Read 4322 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Best Frozen Pizza
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 07:01:41 PM »

This is my go to:
https://www.instacart.com/products/2759335-brew-pub-pizza-brew-pub-sausage-and-pepperoni-pizza-26-45-oz

Kwik Trip (mainly in WI) take and bake pizzas are even better.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
I've never seen a Papa Murph stay open more than a year or so. I figure the franchise spiel is pretty good.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 07:54:33 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »
I've never seen a Papa Murph stay open more than a year or so. I figure the franchise spiel is pretty good.

The two we used in Oregon had been open for a number of years.  Don't know if they are still in business eight years on.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »

The one in my neighborhood has been open for the 6 years that I've lived here and the parking spots are full every night of folks getting pizza.

The one in the town where I used to live is still open, at least 10 years or more.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 10:57:24 AM »
The one in my neighborhood has been open for the 6 years that I've lived here and the parking spots are full every night of folks getting pizza.

The one in the town where I used to live is still open, at least 10 years or more.

I looked at the googlez reviews, and most of the ones in this area have been open for many years. The one closest to me is farther from the cluster of them near the cities, and I see the one recurring complaint is about the long lines there. Apparently it is central to a lot of rural areas here.

Apparently 09FEB is National Pizza Day, so maybe I'll try one of their pies that day.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2022, 10:59:55 AM »
and for delivery, Dominos really upped their game a few years ago.

It's the primary pizza we order when we have no desire to cook or go out to eat.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 11:02:39 AM »
Same here on the longevity of the Papa Murphy's in Snohomish County. I can think of several that have been in business for over twenty years.  Their headquarters is in Vancouver, Washington, so they got their start in the PNW. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2022, 03:04:00 PM »
I just tried a Papa Murphys that I picked up this morning. I just got one of their "standards" - half pepperoni and half Canadian bacon and pineapple. It was fine. As expected, not as good as regular pizza joint pizza, but certainly better than frozen. The one closest to me seems to be very small, a bit run down, and run by kids. I might try one of the bigger ones closer to Boise some day when I'm over that way to see if there is a big difference between shops.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2022, 03:23:13 PM »
I just tried a Papa Murphys that I picked up this morning. I just got one of their "standards" - half pepperoni and half Canadian bacon and pineapple. It was fine. As expected, not as good as regular pizza joint pizza, but certainly better than frozen. The one closest to me seems to be very small, a bit run down, and run by kids. I might try one of the bigger ones closer to Boise some day when I'm over that way to see if there is a big difference between shops.

They make some kind of a double-decker pizza that we like (or at least used to; haven't had one in a few year).  I think they call it Chicago something.  Seems to a raw pizza stacked on top of another raw pizza and the edges rolled and sealed.  Lot of meat, lot of vegetables.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2022, 11:45:25 PM »
In rural Missouri and Illinois and maybe a few other places, there is a chain of stop'n'robs called Casey's... They give Domino's a run for the money.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2022, 08:13:54 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2022, 04:53:55 PM »
In rural Missouri and Illinois and maybe a few other places, there is a chain of stop'n'robs called Casey's... They give Domino's a run for the money.

You know that is an Iowa based convenience store chain out of Ankeny, IA. Casey's is/was the pizza joint for many rural communities here.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2022, 09:07:20 PM »
If you happen to see Vito and Nicks frozen pizza it's pretty darn good.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2022, 06:58:56 AM »

Casey's General Store.

Never had their pizza, but their coffee is absolute top notch for a convenience store and gives Starbuck's a run for its money.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2022, 08:38:27 PM »
At the moment, a Home Run Inn sausage pizza, with added pepperoni and a little mozz to hold that down is in the 20 year old convection oven...

I gotta get a bigger convection oven.
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
We used to buy Papa Murphy's quite often.  They are good.  Haven't had one in a few years and not sure exactly why.  When I'd get their pepperoni pizza, I would take about half the pepperoni off and save it for sandwiches because they put so much on.
There's a Papa Murphy's near me. Now that I'm in Texas, it's the best pizza in town - but the town ain't Chicago.  Wrapped up and frozen, this pizza's leftovers are better than any packaged frozen pizza I've tried - I thaw it in the microwave, but finish reheating in in an airfry toaster oven.

The deli pizzas at two local supermarkets were pretty good when first introduced, but I think within a year or two some pencil pusher made them change the recipe - they're not pretty good any more. And as for the frozen pizzas highlighted in the Washington Post article K-Frame referenced, not all are available locally - and I would definitely change the rating order of the ones that are.

Of course, home made pizza (with home made crust, sauce, and sausage) is the best. But it takes more work. And as with Papa Murphy's, leftovers freeze just fine and taste a LOT better when thawed and reheated weeks later than any commercial frozen pizza I've tried.

When I was growing up in Chicago there were a LOT of really, really good pizza places to choose from. There were even a few that were pretty good when I lived in Minnesota. Here in Texas . . . not so much.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2022, 01:04:46 PM »
Home Run Inn is distributed throughout the country, a friend in Oregon buys them. 

It doesn't taste exactly like their fresh made pizzas but it is pretty dang close. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2022, 01:48:31 PM »
It's been a long time since I've had one but if you see them in the freezer, the Lotsa Mozza Brew Pub Pizza is a pretty solid choice for a frozen za.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2022, 02:26:12 PM »
The local one here is pretty close to 10 years old. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2022, 04:57:36 PM »
Local grocery store has Screaming Sicilian pizza on sale for a pretty good price.

I'm tempted to get one just to try it.

Then again, even at the very best of times I'm not all that crazy about pizza, maybe I'll just skip it.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2022, 05:59:18 PM »
They're on sale frequently. The one with a bunch of different meat is pretty good, mother of meat I think is the name.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2022, 08:35:06 PM »
I looked at them and...

They just didn't look appealing to me, so I passed.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2022, 09:01:34 PM »
Local grocery store has Screaming Sicilian pizza on sale for a pretty good price.

I'm tempted to get one just to try it.

Then again, even at the very best of times I'm not all that crazy about pizza, maybe I'll just skip it.

I used to like them when I was able to eat beef.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2022, 08:07:29 AM »
I used to like them when I was able to eat beef.

The all cheese (Bessie's Revenge, or some such) is one of the better tasting frozen pizzas according to what I linked below.