Author Topic: Amazon's Rings of Power  (Read 2702 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon's Rings of Power
« on: February 21, 2022, 08:41:28 PM »
Holy crap, Amazon's Rings of Power is getting blasted from all directions.

I have to say that back when I first heard about it, I had high hopes that it would be one of the 1 out of every 100 Amazon productions that comes out really good. Sadly, it looks like they not only took the woke train, but are actually attacking Tolkien fans. Whoever is in charge of the production and PR is whack.

Amazon had a woke short up for a while, featuring "Tolkien Superfans", none of which were white males of course. In one snippet I saw on a Youtube review, the boneheads were actually wondering where the rings originated. Tolkien. "Superfans". Did. Not. Know. Where. The. Rings. Came. From.

The short was ratioed into oblivion.

Sadly, I think this is going to be a hot mess. Apparently Amazon put up a billion dollars for five seasons.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Amazon's Rings of Power
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 10:07:50 PM »
The hackles of the fantasy community were already up over the rape of Wheel of Time by Amazon last year.

I'm a huge fan of Robert Jordan's 14 book Wheel of Time and was very excited to see a decent treatment of it.  At $100 million for the first season's budget, hopes were high across the fandom.

And then they were dashed in the first 2 minutes of Moiraine's opening monologue.  Anyone who has read the series knows how antithetical those lines were to Moiraine's character, to the Blue Ajah of the Aes Sedai (Aes Sedai are an order of sorceresses that basically rule the world) in general, and to the mythology of Jordan's world he created.  Then we have Rand and Egwene copulating on a bar countertop outside of wedlock in a back country middle ages town that has a history of shotgun spearpoint weddings, and Myrdraal that are a cheap ripoff mish-mash of DeathEaters and Ringwraiths instead of being the unique creations they should look like.

Everyone in this back country town has disparate racial features.  We have Maori, Irish, Huguenot, Australian Aboriginal, Italian, and the Creator alone knows how many other Earthly nationalities all crammed together in this isolated town at the ass end of no trade route that has no introduction of new blood, ever.  All these people should be the same race.  Doesn't matter which one, pick one.  But after a thousand years of intermarrying they should all be the same (with the notable exception of Rand Al'Thor, which is explained later due to story reasons).  But because the show runners screwed up the ethnicity of Emond's Field, Rand doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.  Instead, everyone does.

The show spent an episode and a half exploring random side character #22 (named Steppin if you watched it) rather than critical early exposition elements.  Technically, the first book has zero pages of content set in the city of Tar Valon (where the Steppin crap happens).  But they chose to build a Tar Valon set and pursue made-up plot points there rather than the far more important elements that happen in a different city called Caemlyn, involving a Queen, a princess, and an Aes Sedai advisor named Elaida that meets Rand. 

There is ENORMOUS resentment over the butchering of this series.  Many of us have been waiting decades for this series to come to TV or movie format.  There was already bad blood due to an IP-blocking hackjob by Red Eagle Entertainment when they made a short film called Winter Dragon back around 2015. 

Those of us that feel betrayed by Wheel of Time and Amazon, see hallmarks of the same betrayal in the marketing tactics that surround this Tolkien adaptation.  Tokenized black elves, turning female characters into action heroes that were never any such thing canonically, heterogeneous hair/skin tones and facial features in places that should be more uniform.  We call it out and the first thing we get hit with is "racism."  Next is usually "you just want a 1:1 adaptation and that's not realistic."  Nevermind Jackson's LotR was not a 1:1, and even introduced female action characters that were not any such thing (Arwen/Glorfindel) and we have no problem there.

Amazon's Wheel of Time adaptation DESTROYED Jordan's core of the story.  The misandry going on in that presentation is at the author/production level, it is not a component of the world and not being used as a storytelling device (which might be an acceptable deviation if that were the case).  Every single upstanding male character from Jordan's story has been emasculated or converted into a villain in the Amazon adaptation, or cut altogether.  Lan Mandragoran, Tam Al'Thor, Abell Cauthon, Agelmar Jagad, Elyas Machera.  And that's just in the first season.

It's pretty well assumed that the Middle Earth adaptation will destroy Tolkien's core of his story, too.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 10:26:42 PM »
They showed the black elf and black dwarf woman (with no beard) in the trailer.  It will feature hobbits or something similar at a time before hobbits existed.  I think Amazon thought they were trying to create a bunch of new characters they could base a bunch of stories around since they only have the rights to a small portion of the Tolkien's work.  I am not sure they have anyone involved that is capable of making it anywhere close to the LOTR trilogy.  Maybe close to the Hobbit movies which are not near as good.  It will probably look like a bad Dungeons and Dragons show. 

The dark humor going around is What happened to all the black ones?  They weren't around in the time of Frodo and Aragorn?  Are they going to tell the story of the great holocaust? 

I really hope it is better than it looks, but I have pretty low expectations. 

The Jack Reacher series season 1 is pretty good.  The entire season is retelling the book The Killing Floor.  I hope the woke mob doesn't get hold of that show, but they probably will.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 10:31:02 PM »
We just finished Season 2 of Netflix's "Witcher" and it was woke enough to bother me and others. Multicultural, abortion, gays, you know, all that stuff that was normal at that time and place according to lore/history/cannon.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 10:00:25 AM »
. . . The dark humor going around is What happened to all the black ones?  They weren't around in the time of Frodo and Aragorn?  Are they going to tell the story of the great holocaust?  . . .
Well, if they can colorize class B&W films from the '30s and '40s, digitally remove guns from E.T., and make it look like Han didn't shoot first in Star Wars, what's to stop them from colorizing some of the characters in LOTR? The movies need multiracial hobbits, dwarves, and elves, all in heroic roles. (Wouldn't you like to see a black Gandalf?)

As far as the Wheel of Time goes . . . haven't seen the series, but it does sound like they completely mucked it up. Maybe they figure most of the audience hasn't read the books. I myself read several of the books and liked them, but quit in disgust somewhere around the 5th or 6th book when it became obvious - painfully obvious - that Jordan realized by then that he was getting paid by the word and decided to maximize his payday.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 10:27:51 AM »
"Wouldn't you like to see a black Gandalf?"

Nope. When I think of Gandalf, I think of Ming the Merciless.

Only this time played by an actual Asian actor, not that racist Max von Sydow with yellow make up.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 11:10:33 AM »
Funny thing is I have heard people mention there are hundreds of stories from African history and lore (or Asian history and lore) that they could choose from if they really wanted to go for the diverse story. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 11:13:19 AM »
For the next Black Panther movie, they need to create a diverse population for Wakanda. For fairness, there should be more non-black residents than black residents.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »
For the next Black Panther movie, they need to create a diverse population for Wakanda. For fairness, there should be more non-black residents than black residents.
And maybe this time around when they want the White guy to shut up, they won't have the Black crowd hoot at him like a troop of baboons.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »

And have men allowed on that Amazon Island. Even have the queen be a trans
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 12:13:49 PM »
Funny thing is I have heard people mention there are hundreds of stories from African history and lore (or Asian history and lore) that they could choose from if they really wanted to go for the diverse story.

The thing about all fantasy, is that it is inherently tribal. 

It takes a major plot device to have a place where people of multiple ethnicities/races/species/etc gather peacefully.

Hobbits live in the Shire.  Dwarves live in the Iron Hills, Erebor, and Moria.  Elves live in Mirkwood, Lothlorien, and Imladris.  Humans live in Gondor and Rohan, and do have peaceful settlements with the Dwarves at Erebor and with the Hobbits at Bree, but humans are also quite tribal and those of Gondor do not co-identify with the people of the Long Lake or Dale or Bree.  To say nothing of the Haradrim or Southrons.

In the Wheel of Time, there are really only two locations in that world that are not racial/tribal in nature.  The first is Tar Valon, the home of the Aes Sedai.  It is a melting pot because of all the people that come there to deliver a daughter to be trained as Aes Sedai or a son to be trained as a Warder.  Other than that, Shainarans stay in Shainar, Tairens stay in Tear, Cairhienen stay in Cairhien and so on.  The other exception is Emond's Field after book 4, when one of the main 3 characters saves it from invasion and becomes an involuntary Lord of the region, and it becomes a refuge for displaced peoples from surrounding lands.  But it took considerable war for that to happen, along with enormous generosity and welcoming spirit for the refugees.

Fantasy relies upon being able to identify a character's tribe by their immediate appearance.  This new woke style fantasy makes that impossible since evidently there are blacks and latinos and asians and whatever else mixed into every city, village, town, hermitage and settlement in the fantasy world.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 12:16:28 PM »
Also, regarding the Elves, Tolkien himself specifically defined them as a "fair-skinned race".

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 01:47:37 PM »
Well, if they can colorize class B&W films from the '30s and '40s, digitally remove guns from E.T., and make it look like Han didn't shoot first in Star Wars, what's to stop them from colorizing some of the characters in LOTR?

So . . . digital blackface?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
The disappearing "superfan" video got worse. There are at least six different versions in six different countries and surprise surprise, all the "superfans" followed a common script focused on diversity and representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2dL_WOnyI

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 07:42:01 PM »
The disappearing "superfan" video got worse. There are at least six different versions in six different countries and surprise surprise, all the "superfans" followed a common script focused on diversity and representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2dL_WOnyI

Can't stop the signal.

Nerdrotic just dropped his fisking of that steaming heap of dogshit and it was fun.

https://youtu.be/oxHjg8pJUwY

I'm so thoroughly sick of that group of degenerates being put on a dais to be worshiped.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 08:35:31 PM »
I watched the first couple of minutes of that...

Holy *expletive deleted*ck it killed off the last of the synapses that survived my college drinking days...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 09:09:22 PM »
I watched the first couple of minutes of that...

Holy *expletive deleted*ck it killed off the last of the synapses that survived my college drinking days...

The real pro tip is to never stop,  makes life hurt less.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 05:33:29 PM »

Based on your post history, I know that to be a blatant lie.

:P
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2022, 05:30:12 PM »
Based on your post history, I know that to be a blatant lie.

:P

You're right, compared to you jackwads I'm Albert fugging Einstein.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2022, 06:31:54 PM »
All these people should be the same race.  Doesn't matter which one, pick one.

I had the same beef with His Dark Materials and the Gyptians, who were supposed to be an extremely insular community akin to our Romani.

It didn't matter which race, in order to be that kind of community, they have to be pretty homogenous.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 01:35:25 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 09:20:32 AM »
Amazon Confirms Orcs In 'Rings Of Power' Will Be Wearing MAGA Hats
https://babylonbee.com/news/amazon-confirms-rings-of-power-orcs-will-be-wearing-maga-hats
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 10:45:20 AM »
1) They will not learn from their mistakes, because they are not mistakes, but instead are reverberation from badthinking trumpers.

2) They will do something even more horribler...

3) If you don't like it, that is because you are an ignorant racist bumpkin, and should be purged.

They are a very visible part of a pseudoreligion, with a pre-prepped dogmatic catechism which _must_ be followed, and, as time passes, augmented.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 01:52:27 PM »
As you all know, this "stupidity" isn't limited to Amazon.
The CW network has come out with their "new" version of Tom Swift.  In much the same way the reboot of "Battlestar Galactica" changed Starbuck to a female, and "Dr. Who" is also a woman, the new "Tom Swift" is both black and gay.  I watched about 1/2 hour as I grew up reading those books by Victor Appleton II and wanted to see what they did with it.
Half an hour was all I could stomach.
  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 02:33:59 PM »
Amazon's "The Boys" couldn't start off season 3 without sloppy homo kissing in the first five minutes, as far as a more disgusting and disturbing followup scene.

I liked it when it first came out, but I'm not sure I'll make it through season 3 (I just watched the first episode today).