Author Topic: Amazon's Rings of Power  (Read 2703 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Amazon's Rings of Power
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 02:59:11 PM »
Amazon's "The Boys" couldn't start off season 3 without sloppy homo kissing in the first five minutes, as far as a more disgusting and disturbing followup scene.

I liked it when it first came out, but I'm not sure I'll make it through season 3 (I just watched the first episode today).
Didn't have that in the 1st season within the first couple episodes?  They were showing some orgy party the super heroes were involved in. 

That show is pretty weird and warped similar to the way South Park does their comedy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 04:47:10 PM »
As you all know, this "stupidity" isn't limited to Amazon.
The CW network has come out with their "new" version of Tom Swift.  In much the same way the reboot of "Battlestar Galactica" changed Starbuck to a female, and "Dr. Who" is also a woman, the new "Tom Swift" is both black and gay.  I watched about 1/2 hour as I grew up reading those books by Victor Appleton II and wanted to see what they did with it.
Half an hour was all I could stomach.
  [barf]

I actually prefer Katee Sackhoff's Starbuck to Dirk Benedict's.  I thought that character in particular needed an overhaul if they were going to shed the 70's goofiness, and Katee did a good job of it.  I also don't think it deserves to get lumped in with the more recent woke character swaps, because  BSG did it right, by writing a strong character that made sense in that world.  It wasn't just a diversity check box to be filled.

I've neither read nor watched Tom Swift, so I can't speak to that casting.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2022, 07:48:35 AM »
"and "Dr. Who" is also a woman"

So?

Would you be equally offended if the Doctor's regeneration brought him back significantly younger or older than his previous self?

If not, why not?

I mean, how in all that is holy can a young doctor regenerate into an old doctor, or vice versa! It's just not natural or right!

The difference between Dr. Who and Tolien's characters is that the Doctor's character didn't come from a previously existing body of work, to be adapted from book form and taken to the big or small screen.

*expletive deleted*it, when Dr. Who started out the Doctor's regeneration hadn't even been conceived of, it was only developed several seasons in when they needed to move past William Hartnell.

The big difference between the BBC and whomever is developing Amazon's Rings?

The BBC is moving past white male doctors to expanding the doctor's universe, NOT to jam a *expletive deleted*ing woke agenda down our throats as Amazon is doing.

If the BBC WERE doing that the Doctor wouldn't have regenerated as a white woman, it would have been a transgender Octaroon touch typist in a wheelchair with a lisp.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2022, 09:06:53 AM »
. . . If the BBC WERE doing that the Doctor wouldn't have regenerated as a white woman, it would have been a transgender Octaroon touch typist in a wheelchair with a lisp.
I'm not a Dr. Who fan (at all!) but those who are may be keeping their fingers crossed that BBC writers don't read APS - you may be giving them ideas.  :O

;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2022, 09:19:52 AM »
"and "Dr. Who" is also a woman"

So?

Would you be equally offended if the Doctor's regeneration brought him back significantly younger or older than his previous self?

If not, why not?

I mean, how in all that is holy can a young doctor regenerate into an old doctor, or vice versa! It's just not natural or right!

The difference between Dr. Who and Tolien's characters is that the Doctor's character didn't come from a previously existing body of work, to be adapted from book form and taken to the big or small screen.

*expletive deleted*it, when Dr. Who started out the Doctor's regeneration hadn't even been conceived of, it was only developed several seasons in when they needed to move past William Hartnell.

The big difference between the BBC and whomever is developing Amazon's Rings?

The BBC is moving past white male doctors to expanding the doctor's universe, NOT to jam a *expletive deleted*ing woke agenda down our throats as Amazon is doing.

If the BBC WERE doing that the Doctor wouldn't have regenerated as a white woman, it would have been a transgender Octaroon touch typist in a wheelchair with a lisp.

I have zero issues with the doctor being a womb carrier. There's nothing in the history of DW that said he couldn't be one at some point.
Part of the issue I do have is they that also decided to completely rewrite the doctor's history so that he was always a womb carrier and his time as a man was treated as a mistake that needed correcting  And they decided to take a big fat dump on Time Lords history as well
That and the change was accompanied by absolutely terrible writing as if they felt they didn't even need to try anymore since the Dr. being a woman was enough to carry the show. The show flat out sucked and it had very little to do Jodie Whittaker. I doubt Tom Baker could have carried  the show with this level of god awful writing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:39:27 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2022, 12:26:41 PM »
"Part of the issue I do have is they that also decided to completely rewrite the doctor's history so that he was always a womb carrier and his time as a man was treated as a mistake that needed correcting  And they decided to take a big fat dump on Time Lords history as well"

You know, in all of the episodes of Dr. Who I've watched, and it has been every one since the relaunch starting with Christopher Eccelston, I have never once heard or seen the assessment that "he" was always a "woman." You're going to have to explain that one.

And, women Time Lords is a thing that goes back into the earliest days of Dr. Who in the 1960s, starting with Susan, the very first of the Dr.'s companions, who was also his granddaughter.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2022, 01:10:01 PM »
"Part of the issue I do have is they that also decided to completely rewrite the doctor's history so that he was always a womb carrier and his time as a man was treated as a mistake that needed correcting  And they decided to take a big fat dump on Time Lords history as well"

You know, in all of the episodes of Dr. Who I've watched, and it has been every one since the relaunch starting with Christopher Eccelston, I have never once heard or seen the assessment that "he" was always a "woman." You're going to have to explain that one.

And, women Time Lords is a thing that goes back into the earliest days of Dr. Who in the 1960s, starting with Susan, the very first of the Dr.'s companions, who was also his granddaughter.

"The Timeless Children" - The End of Doctor Who
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlGQgfXtC40

They basically rewrite both the Doctor's and Time Lord history in general.
Think William Hartnell was the first doctor? Nope, it's was a woman.

Yes Susan was a Time Lord, so was Romana, and there were other female Time Lords in other episodes. Not sure what that has to do with this.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:34:36 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
"They basically rewrite both the Doctor's and Time Lord history in general."

And as far as I can tell, it's pretty uniformly been rejected by Whovians everywhere. Supposedly even Chibnal wasn't happy with it, and allegedly the arc will continue into the next Doctor's incarnation.

My guess is that it's going to be as quickly written out of the canon.

Hartnell was the first doctor, because the doctor is a character invented by writers at the BBC in the early 1960s and originated by Hartnell.

But right now we're arguing trivialities.

Again, I believe that the Whoverse is going to continue to reject the arc they've attempted to take the doctor on.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2022, 04:04:46 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2022, 07:55:23 PM »
The most important thing is the diversity
The 2nd Diversity
3rd Diversity
4th ditto
5th yep diversity again
6th Can you guess?

"We are redressing the balance within the film and television, television industry and of course, this franchise and I hope, lots of franchises moving forward.”"

The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power Actors Confirm Show Aims To Erase Tolkien’s Work For The Sake Of Modernity
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/07/25/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-actors-confirm-show-aims-to-erase-tolkiens-work-for-the-sake-of-modernity/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2022, 08:01:08 PM »
That Sauron pic alone would make not to watch it
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2022, 07:11:30 PM »
What the flipping heck?
Sauron is Eminem with boobs

Aragorn Is Now A Black Man & The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power Continues To Be Embarrassed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RuoXiJgq1A
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 07:32:01 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2022, 07:44:02 PM »
Eminem is playing Sauron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8-j6OFMMjk
From what I have heard, that is not Sauron.  That is some elf person hunting for the wizard in the show. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2022, 09:51:18 PM »
Launching a sodomite Doctor Who during the monkey pox epidemic in the gay community seems like a poor choice of timing.

The leftardity of the franchise killed it a few seasons into the relaunch, it is dead to me.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2022, 09:55:41 PM »
"They basically rewrite both the Doctor's and Time Lord history in general."

And as far as I can tell, it's pretty uniformly been rejected by Whovians everywhere. Supposedly even Chibnal wasn't happy with it, and allegedly the arc will continue into the next Doctor's incarnation.

My guess is that it's going to be as quickly written out of the canon.

Hartnell was the first doctor, because the doctor is a character invented by writers at the BBC in the early 1960s and originated by Hartnell.

But right now we're arguing trivialities.

Again, I believe that the Whoverse is going to continue to reject the arc they've attempted to take the doctor on.
I have my doubts they will change course.  I haven't seen much evidence that these entertainment groups are prepared to move away from the trend.  Over here at least, Disney and others just keep pumping them out.  First crack may be Warner Bros, but we will see.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2022, 09:19:58 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2022, 09:38:44 PM »
'Rings Of Power' Showrunners Clarify That Any Resemblance To The Works Of Tolkien Is Purely Coincidental
https://babylonbee.com/news/rings-of-power-showrunners-clarify-that-any-resemblance-to-the-works-of-tolkien-is-purely-coincidental

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2022, 10:14:32 AM »
Tangent, but a pretty convoluted liberal article about why it was wrong to make black people Targeryans in the new House of the Dragon series. Not because the Targeryans are supposed to be an inbred white and white haired clan, but because the Targereyans subjugate "lesser peoples" and it doesn't look good diversity-wise to have a black actor playing that role.  ;/

https://www.newsweek.com/when-diversity-casting-hurts-plot-it-hurts-black-actors-viewers-opinion-1736903
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2022, 10:01:35 AM »
 Drinker's Chasers - That Terrible Rings of Power Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLbtgfz9vTY

In the comments
The Rings of Power is the tv show equivalent of Monkeypox.
:rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2022, 12:39:59 PM »
"The Timeless Children" - The End of Doctor Who
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlGQgfXtC40

They basically rewrite both the Doctor's and Time Lord history in general.
Think William Hartnell was the first doctor? Nope, it's was a woman.

Yes Susan was a Time Lord, so was Romana, and there were other female Time Lords in other episodes. Not sure what that has to do with this.

They proved it could work by having the Master regenerate into a woman, "Missy".  That worked because Missy got good writing.  The Doctor has had terrible writing since about Peter Capaldi.  Jodie Whittaker has done a fine acting job, but the material is so bad the show sucks.  I don't think a male actor would do any better with it.  (is Jodie still the Doctor?  I've quit watching the show)

"The Timeless Child" retcons the Doctor into an immortal.  Immortals are boring because they have nothing at risk.
"It's good, though..."