Author Topic: Star Tred Picard, I hope they're not going where I think they're going with this  (Read 3944 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
A few E1 and E2 clips of Picard season 2 came up in my YT feed and apparently Q is back and messing with Picard.

What I've got from it so far.
The Borg show up from an alternate timeline asking for Picard's help
Q shows up and does what Q does and sticks Picard and crew including 7 into this timeline.
Earth in this timeline has had it's climate wrecked.
The Picard in this Timeline keeps slaves
Humankind is rampaging across the galaxy enslaving and eradicating everyone. I think mostly the latter.
The problem is traced to something that happened in 2024.

I hope I'm just being paranoid but see where I'm going with this?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:00:24 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
You're probably not being paranoid at all, modern wokeness has been slowly creeping into the Star Trek franchise for a long time - IMHO, to the detriment of the writing and storyline.

Or else they figure shooting a good part of the film in 2024 - the present - is simply cheaper than making sets and CGI showing the 24th (23rd? 25th?) century.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
You're probably not being paranoid at all, modern wokeness has been slowly creeping into the Star Trek franchise for a long time - IMHO, to the detriment of the writing

I watched the first episode of Discovery when it first came out, and I might have watched more, but it immediately went behind a Paramount paywall, and it wasn't good enough for me to pay an, at the time, fledgling new pay service.

I just the other day, saw some comment from one of the gay actors who was talking about how great it was that Discovery was focusing on diversity, trans, and all the other dumbass stuff that destroys modern programming. I'm glad I didn't invest any more time than episode #1 in it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends

Or else they figure shooting a good part of the film in 2024 - the present - is simply cheaper than making sets and CGI showing the 24th (23rd? 25th?) century.

Don't forget 2024 is election time.
I fear it's going to be along the lines of Trump or a Trump like figure is elected and sends earth down a dark Nazi like path.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Let me reword that a little

I fear it's going to be along the lines of Trump or a Trump like figure stealing/overthrowing the election and sending earth down a dark Nazi like path.
Their election opponent will more than likely be a Harris like black female.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
Let me reword that a little

I fear it's going to be along the lines of Trump or a Trump like figure stealing/overthrowing the election and sending earth down a dark Nazi like path.
Their election opponent will more than likely be a Harris like black female.

OK, I see what you are thinking!  I didn't make the connection with the date.

Star Trek has done the evil mirror universes before.

WLJ

• friends
OK, I see what you are thinking!  I didn't make the connection with the date.

Star Trek has done the evil mirror universes before.

I think it's the alternate timeline routine again rather than mirror universes in this case.
I'm very familiar with ST pre Kelvin Timeline or in other words before instead of creating his own ST story J.J. Abrams took a big dump on all pre existing ST . At that point I stopped watching because it ceased being ST to me.

I just hope I'm wrong this is where they're going.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Climate change wrecking the planet + An obviously fascist government + The enslavement and extermination of all other races
And something happens in 2024 that sends us down that road. Hmmmmm

I hope I'm just being paranoid
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Thank goodness they didn't get all woke and take a dump on Star Wars too.....oh wait, *expletive deleted*ing J.J. again! Who keeps handing this guy established beloved franchises to *expletive deleted*ck up??????????
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:56:49 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
I think it's the alternate timeline routine again rather than mirror universes in this case.
I'm very familiar with ST pre Kelvin Timeline or in other words before instead of creating his own ST story J.J. Abrams took a big dump on all pre existing ST . At that point I stopped watching because it ceased being ST to me.

I just hope I'm wrong this is where they're going.
I sort of liked the first one, but it was mainly the differences in the way they showed the ships phasers and torpedoes and such.  Karl Urban playing McCoy was the main bright spot with the characters.  In hindsight, it sort of turned Star Trek into another Transformers movie in space.  I really get tired of the generic action movies these days where everyone is constantly running and talking and yelling.  The Khan redo butchered the entire universe with the way they showed beaming across lightyears among other things.  I never bothered to watch the last one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Nerdrotic is reviewing Picard season 2.  He seems to think it is better than season 1.  He gives a rough synopsis if you want to know that without watching the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCZxyb_kH90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrYy-ltS1k

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
You're probably not being paranoid at all, modern wokeness has been slowly creeping into the Star Trek franchise for a long time - IMHO, to the detriment of the writing and storyline.

Been going on for a long time.  Many of the great earlier shows like the Rifleman, M*A*S*H, Have Gun, etc got ruined for me as they devolved more into 1960s liberalism. Global Warming wasn't an issue yet, though fossil fuel pollution was just getting heard about.

So here we are today, with Trekkie stuff being vehicles for liberal propaganda.

In other words, within the Thirty Mile Zone ("TMZ").

https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=66295.msg1346413#msg1346413

ETA Oh, and I missed the 2024 connection, too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 09:16:39 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
Been going on for a long time.  Many of the great earlier shows like the Rifleman, M*A*S*H, Have Gun, etc got ruined for me as they devolved more into 1960s liberalism. Global Warming wasn't an issue yet, though fossil fuel pollution was just getting heard about . . .
In addition to the shows you mentioned, creeping liberalism also helped kill Bonanza. Even as a youngster, I remember asking my father "Dad - what happened to their guns?"  (As I recall, Little Joe in particular - played by Michael Landon - was pretty handy with a sixgun.) And it got to the point where instead of running "squatters" off their land, they'd invite 'em home for dinner.  :facepalm:

And it got to be pretty easy to tell when Alan Alda directed a M*A*S*H episode - because it sucked. He was - and still is - a dyed in the wool leftist.

A good part of the problem is that nearly all leftist-messaging shows are so fixed on the messaging that they're poorly written. Just off the top of my head, the only well written left leaning show that comes to mind was The West Wing.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Star Trek has always been on the vanguard of leftism. They've been pushing the culture to the left since the beginning. A more woke Star Trek shouldn't be a surprise but an expectation. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
Star Trek has always been on the vanguard of leftism. They've been pushing the culture to the left since the beginning. A more woke Star Trek shouldn't be a surprise but an expectation.
I always thought the original series was much less so, but it was pushing boundaries for the time it was made. 

I feel like the original series did more of the "outthinking your opponent to win" type action and the Next Generation did more diplomacy and emoting.  The empath woman got to be a bit irritating to me.

HankB

• friend
I always thought the original series was much less so, but it was pushing boundaries for the time it was made. 

I feel like the original series did more of the "outthinking your opponent to win" type action and the Next Generation did more diplomacy and emoting.  The empath woman got to be a bit irritating to me.
I kind of liked ST:DS9 because normal human behavior and common sense sometimes managed to creep in between the liberal nonsense - almost as if they had a regular guy on the writing staff who'd sneak something in when the libs were popping pills or smoking their dope.  ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends

Nah.  TOS and TNG were "humanist."  They'd use carefully crafted allegory set in their fictional realm in order to hold a mirror up to the audience.

New Trek throws a hammer through the 4th wall and beats you over the head through the TV screen.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nah.  TOS and TNG were "humanist."  They'd use carefully crafted allegory set in their fictional realm in order to hold a mirror up to the audience.

I would mostly agree, though TNG was a good bit more preachy than TOS, and for at least the first season, yeah, they used a hammer. Picard was pretty insufferable for the first half of that season.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Star Trek is very humanist.

Humanism by making man the measure of man is leftist or eventually devolves into leftism.

It is progressive practically by definition.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Hank B made me laugh:

" - almost as if they had a regular guy on the writing staff who'd sneak something in when the libs were popping pills or smoking their dope.  ;)
"

More like they're salting the plot with "token conservatism"  to claim they're even-handed politically.  They will pull stuff like that, and I suspect with the fear of a wipeout in 2024, you will see more of that TRW ("Token Right Wing") stuff in various propagandized media outlets to show they're fair and balanced.

On the other hand, maybe there's a regular guy on the writing staff who'd sneak something in when the libs were popping pills or smoking their dope.

Grinning Terry, 230RN

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.

You said it far better than I could.  Star Trek was always socio-political commentary and propaganda served up in a science fantasy (not science fiction) setting.

Pb

• friend
Yes, Ron is right.  I only watched "The Next Generation" and they were pretty leftist.  Star Trek sells itself with a humanist, optimistic view of the future, but I don't think that is very accurate.

JTHunter

• friends
I would mostly agree, though TNG was a good bit more preachy than TOS, and for at least the first season, yeah, they used a hammer. Picard was pretty insufferable for the first half of that season.

And don't forget that for the first couple of seasons NG, the "Great Bird of the Galaxy" (Gene Roddenberry) was still in charge.
I never really warmed up to DS9 or Voyager as they were either locked into the location or there was little interaction with the "traditional villeins" or Starfleet.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
And don't forget that for the first couple of seasons NG, the "Great Bird of the Galaxy" (Gene Roddenberry) was still in charge.
I never really warmed up to DS9 or Voyager as they were either locked into the location or there was little interaction with the "traditional villeins" or Starfleet.

The traditional villains were no longer relevant to the current climate.

TOS:
Federation - United Nations (even copied their flag)
Klingons - USSR
Romulans - PRC
Vulcans - post-WW2 Japanese

TNG:
Klingons - post-Soviet Russia (destruction of Kronos = the collapse)
Prime Directive - Nuclear non-proliferation

DS9:
Ferengi - Capitalism (treated as anathema to the United Federation of Communism)
Dominion - Islam
Bajorans - Jews
Cardassians - Arabs

And above all, a cashless, communal society.

HankB

• friend
. . . And above all, a cashless, communal society.
Cashless? You watched these shows and never heard of gold-pressed latinum?    :rofl: