Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Log Splitters?  (Read 1631 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Log Splitters?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2022, 09:54:44 AM »

We used hydraulics to run molds - the mold cavity WILL close... I wonder how hard it would be to weld something  up with a nice big pump and ram...
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2022, 10:59:34 AM »

We used hydraulics to run molds - the mold cavity WILL close... I wonder how hard it would be to weld something  up with a nice big pump and ram...
A lot of people have done just that. Many of them function ok.
With material costs Iím not sure you could save enough to bother.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 11:03:43 AM »

A lot of people have done just that. Many of them function ok.
With material costs Iím not sure you could save enough to bother.

^^ This

Unless you've got access to a scrap pile for free/cheap, it's not worth it.

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2022, 11:05:29 AM »

Assuming you have chain hooks or a ring on your bucket?

I don't. If I were a better welder to where I could trust the welds, I'd add some, but right now I tilt the bucket all the way down to eliminate edges that could fray the straps,  then wrap the straps and/or a chain around the bucket and shackle whatever load I have.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2022, 01:32:58 PM »

I don't. If I were a better welder to where I could trust the welds, I'd add some, but right now I tilt the bucket all the way down to eliminate edges that could fray the straps,  then wrap the straps and/or a chain around the bucket and shackle whatever load I have.
I bought my loader tractor used from my neighbor. He wasnít much of a welder but he had somebody weld chain hooks on 2 rectangular steel plates then drilled and bolted the plates to the top of the bucket (in line with the frame and rams). I later welded a loop in the center out of 5/8Ē round for lifting with straps or chain.
My bucket is a heavy duty bucket so not likely Iíll give it the classic center pucker.
 I know you can get bolt on hooks somewhere.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2022, 01:34:33 PM »

I know you can get bolt on hooks somewhere.
Yeah, I bought some on Amazon (for a non-tractor use).  Plenty available there.

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2022, 01:38:42 PM »

I'll have to look into bolt-ons for the top of the bucket. Hooks would definitely save me some aggravation. I use the bucket as a lift a lot more than I thought I would.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2022, 01:56:58 PM »

I'll have to look into bolt-ons for the top of the bucket. Hooks would definitely save me some aggravation. I use the bucket as a lift a lot more than I thought I would.

You can get clamp on forks for a bucket too. I used those last fall on a skid loader to unload 2-1 ton pallets of bear bait.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2022, 01:58:35 PM »

I remember as a kid that most of the hydraulic log splitters were home built, I remember seeing hydraulic parts kits for sale in various outdoor or Mother Earth News type magazines.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2022, 01:59:12 PM »

Or practice your welding....

No snark there at all, I'd much rather have welded hooks for lifting then blow a hole in the bucket and bolt them on.  If you don't trust your current welding skilz, get a box of rod and some scrap steel and get better.  (or a MIG.  Any monkey can weld with a MIG.)  It's not rocket surgery.

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2022, 02:30:24 PM »

Or practice your welding....

No snark there at all, I'd much rather have welded hooks for lifting then blow a hole in the bucket and bolt them on.  If you don't trust your current welding skilz, get a box of rod and some scrap steel and get better.  (or a MIG.  Any monkey can weld with a MIG.)  It's not rocket surgery.

I could use more practice. I have both a stick and MIG welder and have done good welds with the MIG welder, like welding a trailer together, that have held for a long while now. I'm just a little scared when it comes to something like hooks that might be lifting a couple thousand pounds.

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »

You can get clamp on forks for a bucket too. I used those last fall on a skid loader to unload 2-1 ton pallets of bear bait.

Funny, I was just researching those the other day. I was a little leery of weight capacity on bigger stuff, but it seems they should handle under 1000lb fine. I see them rated over that, but I think that definitely requires ballast on the three point for a little 35hp tractor like I have. My bucket is rated for 2300lb, and when I have it full of dirt, I like to have the boxblade on the back, especially on uneven terrain.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2022, 02:36:32 PM »

I could use more practice. I have both a stick and MIG welder and have done good welds with the MIG welder, like welding a trailer together, that have held for a long while now. I'm just a little scared when it comes to something like hooks that might be lifting a couple thousand pounds.

Well sure, that's understandable, but it's better than lifting on bolts.

Just don't stand under it the first couple times.   >:D >:D

FWIW, when I was learning to weld, I would weld stuff up, then test it to destruction so I knew that a weld that felt and looked like "A" would withstand "B" forces.  It's come in handy since.  Since you have hydraulics and time available, you might try something similar.  Weld up a hook or something on a piece of heavy channel, then pull it apart with your tractor (or shiny new log splitter).  See what it'll do.  Gain skillz and confidence.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2022, 04:36:20 PM »

That steel doesn't need to be new either... Used structural stuff, junkyard, whatever, at scrap value?
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2022, 09:46:09 PM »

FWIW, when I was learning to weld, I would weld stuff up, then test it to destruction so I knew that a weld that felt and looked like "A" would withstand "B" forces.  It's come in handy since.  Since you have hydraulics and time available, you might try something similar.  Weld up a hook or something on a piece of heavy channel, then pull it apart with your tractor (or shiny new log splitter).  See what it'll do.  Gain skillz and confidence.

That's a good idea. I just a few days ago found like a 10' length of what looks to be 1/4" channel stock hiding in some weeds I was removing. A little rusty, but looks to be in good enough shape for such practice/testing.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2022, 10:18:04 PM »

Good old 6010 or 6013 rod will burn through rust, paint, manure and crud.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2022, 11:58:26 PM »

Personally, I just use a $200 wire welder I got from China Fright... Overall, not bad for 1/4" and thinner. My next door neighbor, a retired boilermaker, welded up his porch rail out of 1/4" thick tube with one of the little $100 ones - you just have to know your equipment's limitations, and stay within them.

I'm thinking I could easily turn a "wood grenade" sort of thing on the lathe, maybe with a little milling after the fact to square it up a bit. I wouldn't be heat treating it, but would it really need it?
Blog under construction
Pages: 1 [2]