Author Topic: Star Tred Picard, I hope they're not going where I think they're going with this  (Read 3926 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Cashless? You watched these shows and never heard of gold-pressed latinum?    :rofl:

And how much of that did the Federation citizens use in their day to day lives?  Evidently you are the one who didn't pay attention.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
And don't forget that for the first couple of seasons NG, the "Great Bird of the Galaxy" (Gene Roddenberry) was still in charge.
I never really warmed up to DS9 or Voyager as they were either locked into the location or there was little interaction with the "traditional villeins" or Starfleet.

Metric crap ton of Klingons and Romulans in DS9.
And DS9 gave us Garek,  the greatest side character ever in ST.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
And how much of that did the Federation citizens use in their day to day lives?  Evidently you are the one who didn't pay attention.
References to it - and its purchasing power - popped up on the TV show with some regularity.  See https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Latinum
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
References to it - and its purchasing power - popped up on the TV show with some regularity.  See https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Latinum

United Federation: cashless utopia
Everyone Else: latinum based economy chaos

There's a message there and they rubbed it in with TNG.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Metric crap ton of Klingons and Romulans in DS9.
And DS9 gave us Garek,  the greatest side character ever in ST.

You have my vote, sir.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggqbNUZD8U

Yup.  Despite all the political BS the show was saddled with, that character was awesome. 

HankB

• friend
I remember when Garek set up a double (or was it triple?) deception in order to get the Romulans to join the Federation and Klingon Empire's side during the Dominion War.

Capt. Sisko figured things out and had an introspective soliloquy explaining the trickery . . . and then he decided to keep his mouth shut about it. (Picard would have notified the Romulans that they'd been tricked - since it was the leftist thing to do - and had them join the other side.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
I remember when Garek set up a double (or was it triple?) deception in order to get the Romulans to join the Federation and Klingon Empire's side during the Dominion War.

Capt. Sisko figured things out and had an introspective soliloquy explaining the trickery . . . and then he decided to keep his mouth shut about it. (Picard would have notified the Romulans that they'd been tricked - since it was the leftist thing to do - and had them join the other side.)

In The Pale Moonlight.
Many consider it the best ST episode ever made
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
United Federation: cashless utopia
Everyone Else: latinum based economy chaos

There's a message there and they rubbed it in with TNG.
I wasn't sure if Star Trek ever really addressed how the replicators affected things.  You saw everyone just get whatever they want from the replicator, but they never really addressed what benefits there were for people who chose to work and join Starfleet and such. 

I recall O'Brien mentioned that his Mother didn't trust replicated food, but didn't mention how they acquired it or if they had to pay for it (or if ownership of land was at a premium or not). 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
In The Pale Moonlight.
Many consider it the best ST episode ever made

For a Garak-specific episode, The Wire has my vote.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I recall O'Brien mentioned that his Mother didn't trust replicated food, but didn't mention how they acquired it or if they had to pay for it (or if ownership of land was at a premium or not).

It seems like it would be overly difficult, at least for meat. In the super duper preachy first season of TNG, I recall there was an episode where the crew made remarks about someone eating "real meat" as if they were a degenerate mutant cannibal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
It seems like it would be overly difficult, at least for meat. In the super duper preachy first season of TNG, I recall there was an episode where the crew made remarks about someone eating "real meat" as if they were a degenerate mutant cannibal.

Well from view point of a society where 99% of the population has probably never seen actual meat I could see that the idea of butchering an animal could be consider repulsive when you can just walk up to a machine and say "T-bone medium rare" and poof there it is.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 01:52:34 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
Just as real as her governorship of Georgia.

Sad to say but I would bet almost no one can name the actual Gov of Georgia. Even sadder is that many would no doubt say Adams
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Related
Sea Quest had the USS H.R. Clinton
When the ship was mentioned was the first and last 5 minutes of the show I watched.
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
Andrew Robinson was perfect as Garak.  After all, he was the psychotic killer in the first Dirty Harry movie.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Picard Suspended From Twitter For Saying He Sees Only Four Lights

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I was maybe going to get Paramount + for a month to watch Picard and a couple of other things just to have something to watch. I was watching youtube snippets of season 2 and thought there would be enough good content to cancel out the woke crap, but I think I'm wrong:

https://youtu.be/4xbPYIiUH0c

As some of the comments said, Star Fleet wears uniforms and the Federation enforces borders and requires IDs, but it's okay when they do it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Sounds like I'll be skipping Star Trek - Strange New Worlds as well.

Christina Chong is an international television and film actress who stars in the brand-new CBS series "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" (May 2022) alongside Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn. As series regular La'an Noonien-Singh,' she channels her inner fighter, to win over adversity no matter what. The series will expand the iconic franchise, adding six new crew members on the USS Enterprise, alongside its familiar trio of lead characters. For Christina, the focus on equality and diversity in the Star Trek franchise very much leads back to her own personal journey in Hollywood.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
La'an Noonien-Singh

Related to Khan?

(ETA: apparently so.    https://screenrant.com/strange-new-worlds-khan-laan-noonien-singh-canon/)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Never forget that Star Trek is the reason we all have to suffer from George Takei and Will Wheaton running their *expletive deleted*ing mouths.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oh, apparently Seven of Nine is now a carpet muncher.

dogmush

• friend
On the show, or Jeri Ryan?