Author Topic: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US  (Read 6462 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2024, 08:02:32 PM »
And here we go again

Military tracks high-altitude balloon over western US
The origin of the balloon and its purpose are not yet known, 2 officials said
https://www.foxnews.com/us/military-tracking-high-altitude-balloon-western-us

U.S. military tracking ANOTHER balloon: Pentagon scrambles jets to investigate high-altitude object of 'unknown origin' over Colorado
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13119491/U-S-military-tracking-balloon-Pentagon-following-high-altitude-object-unknown-origin-Colorado.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2024, 12:39:46 AM »
My immediate thought is to take a Navy carrier-based fighter and replace the tailhook with a sharp blade. Make a couple/few close passes and that should bring the sucker down without firing a shot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2024, 01:18:02 PM »
My immediate thought is to take a Navy carrier-based fighter and replace the tailhook with a sharp blade. Make a couple/few close passes and that should bring the sucker down without firing a shot.
How about updating the bucket catchers so we could recover the spy balloons largely intact?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdsn4snbzjo
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2024, 02:35:22 PM »
How about updating the bucket catchers so we could recover the spy balloons largely intact?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdsn4snbzjo

I think that would upset Biden's Chinese masters.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2024, 02:40:38 PM »
I just wish they would put transponders on the things so that they would show up on the tracking sites. ;) I would like to see how fast they go once in the jet stream, especially right now.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2024, 03:01:27 PM »
I just wish they would put transponders on the things so that they would show up on the tracking sites. ;) I would like to see how fast they go once in the jet stream, especially right now.

bob

They're claiming it was some amateur's balloon, though I don't know how they would confirm that. One report said there was some cube of around a meter as the payload.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2024, 08:39:31 PM »
They're claiming it was some amateur's balloon, though I don't know how they would confirm that. One report said there was some cube of around a meter as the payload.
If I were sending up a nuisance balloon, a very light 1 meter cube corner aluminum foil reflector payload could be attached to enhance the radar cross section. Could even hang it below the balloon with a couple of hundred yards of fishing line. Then . . . sit back and wait for UFO reports!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2024, 01:39:18 PM »
An oldie but a goodie:

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama