Author Topic: Is this the epitome of laziness, or just a scientific mind at work?  (Read 941 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
I just realized that I had not changed one of my wall clocks to the proper daylight savings time setting... And that it is right. And that it is not an automatic clock... I've been internally comping for it for the past six months.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Is this the epitome of laziness, or just a scientific mind at work?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 08:29:16 AM »
I don't know how to change the one in the work vehicle. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 08:31:54 AM »
You're a horrible man. You should feel bad because you are bad.

I'll change the clock on the stove next time I use the stove.

I'll change the clock on the microwave... probably never. It's not showed the correct time since the last power outage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 01:56:03 PM »
<shrug>.  Or wait six months.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 02:43:04 PM »
When I was a kid Mom was constantly fiddling with the clocks to make them just a little bit fast, ostensibly to keep us on time. The only thing it really did was have us not paying attention to the house clocks and relying on our wristwatches. I'm the other way, I want clocks to be as exactly on time as possible. No real reason why other than I have this thing about accuracy. If a clock around the house is more than a minute off my phone's time, it gets corrected.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 03:02:15 PM »
I want clocks to be as exactly on time as possible. No real reason why other than I have this thing about accuracy. If a clock around the house is more than a minute off my phone's time, it gets corrected.

Brad

Same here but it especially annoys me when the clocks in the kitchen don't match.
Coffee maker
Microwave
Stove
Toaster oven
Weather station

The weather station gets it time off the internet so all the others are set to match.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 05:03:20 PM »
When I was a kid Mom was constantly fiddling with the clocks to make them just a little bit fast, ostensibly to keep us on time. The only thing it really did was have us not paying attention to the house clocks and relying on our wristwatches. I'm the other way, I want clocks to be as exactly on time as possible. No real reason why other than I have this thing about accuracy. If a clock around the house is more than a minute off my phone's time, it gets corrected.

Brad
Yup, that is me.  I was up at 5 am Sunday morning setting all the clocks with my cell phone in hand so I got each one correct.  I know I overslept.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 08:34:59 PM »
Oh, I forgot about the coffee maker.

I've not bothered to set the clock on it since I quit setting it up the night before to perk so I could take a thermos of coffee to the office.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 09:34:27 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 09:38:10 PM »
What day is this?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 09:43:40 PM »
Ooops.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 09:45:23 PM »
Hmmm. Well, that's surprising.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 09:48:06 PM »
Brad Johnson said,

" No real reason why other than I have this thing about accuracy. If a clock around the house is more than a minute off my phone's time, it gets corrected.
"

I used to be that way while I was working.  I almost had to have every second hand stepping along with all the others.

The Valhalla of timekeeping was when they came out with a watch which synced with the radio time from WWV in Fort Collins.  Oh, callou, callay, what a frabjous day!  I was almost orgasmic watching it re-set itself to the correct Western Hemisphere Official Time.  Uuuunnnhhhh !

But It only took a year of retirement for me to learn that time was no longer "of the essence."

I now have a sort-of kitchen clock that only has an hour hand and it suits me pretty well.  It started out as a kind of a joke --I found this clock movement with no minute hand and I set it up with a new home-made "face" and it's surprising how closely I can estimate the actual time from it.

Oh well... nap time.   =D

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 09:48:52 PM »

Oh well... nap time.   =D

Nappy time for Biden
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 09:56:57 PM »
My mother had a GE over the range microwave that required you to set not only the time but month day year as well.
If the power blinked and it reset the thing was a paper weight until you set everything again, not even the range light would work. Would get a call once in a while her wanting me to come over and set the darn thing again.
Why the heck someone decided a microwave needed to know what year it was to cook or even allow you to turn on the range light is beyond me.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2022, 10:35:16 PM »
Oh, and... The last of the ice and snow is gone from the parking lot at work. Not because it was shoveled and carted off, like some businesses would do... Nope.

Because of SCIENCE!

Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »
Yeah, I gave up on correcting after a power glitch a while ago.  My little dollar store clock radio has a battery backup to keep  the clock running while the power's down, which is nice.

Power company was kind enough to leave doorknob hangers on everyone's door saying that they had installed "Smart Meters" and to check our clocks and stuff because there had been a slight power interruption during the switchover.

Terry

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:34:32 PM by 230RN »