Author Topic: New choice for our corned beef  (Read 1303 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New choice for our corned beef
« on: March 20, 2022, 10:21:12 AM »
This year, we happened to pick up a Shenson corned beef round at Costco for St. Paddy's Day.  I made it in the crock pot and both my wife and I thought it was the best corned beef we have had in ages.  Apparently this brand is packed in San Diego and is stocked in the West Coast Costco locations.  I don't know if it was the cure or the round vs. brisket that made it so good, but we will look for this in the future, as opposed to the generic supermarket corned beef.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: New choice for our corned beef
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 10:26:18 AM »
That reminds me, I need to goto Walmart today to see if they are clearancing out corned beef points.  That's where I got mine last year for about a dollar a pound, and it made some wonderful Reuben sandwiches and a pot of cabbage soup.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »
I have all of the spices needed to make corned beef but just can't stomach the 100+ dollars for a whole brisket so we did a store bought from Walmart and I threw in some extra allspice, juniper berries and mustard seeds. I wold like to think it helped a bit because it was actually a pretty tasty corned beef.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »
I just got back from WMT and they had lots of corned beef in the case; $5 a pound for points and $6 for flats.  I was an idiot and forgot to check the sell-by dates to see when I should drive out there again to load-up if they are still there.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 04:30:35 PM »
I never got around to crockpotting my point cut this weekend. I'll do that next weekend, maybe.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 08:45:37 AM »
I have all of the spices needed to make corned beef but just can't stomach the 100+ dollars for a whole brisket so we did a store bought from Walmart and I threw in some extra allspice, juniper berries and mustard seeds. I wold like to think it helped a bit because it was actually a pretty tasty corned beef.

bob

I buy a can of Kroger pickling spice at Fred Meyer and throw in some extra whenever we do a corned beef. I also now no longer use beer as the braising liquid but beef broth.  The vegetables taste better that way.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.